The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Mic Preamp Help!

I'm looking at buying a preamp for my SM-57 & SM-58... what do you think of this one?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...amp?sku=180360

or this one... ???
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...amp?sku=180643

I need to pull the trigger on a preamp soon... help! I use these mics with Tascam US-122 and GarageBand...

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:51 AM

What do you hope to gain by adding a preamp to your current rig?

The two units you identified are "starved plate" tube designs which include a single tube operating at very low voltage and high distortion. This distortion product can then be mixed into the clean amplification. Do you think your recordings need added distortion?

Your current preamp (your US-122) has a reputation of generating some noise at high gain levels, such as those required for your SM57 and SM58 mics. Perhaps you could improve your recording chain more by adding a couple of low priced condenser mics. Condenser mics include active electronics which deliver a higher signal level and make the preamp's job easier.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 PM

You've described the problem accurately. I'm not getting enough gain out of the SM57 & SM58... I certainly am not going for distortion... wow... I had no idea that's what they did. I just need more out of my mics as they are barely registering a signal... Condenser mics w/active pickups? Do you have any recommendations?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 PM

I'd go for Studio Projects over ART.
I'd also seriously considering a condenser mic over 57 or 58.....small condenser for instruments, large for vocals as a rule and there's inexpensive Chinese stuff out there that's pretty darn good.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarMonkey View Post
You've described the problem accurately. I'm not getting enough gain out of the SM57 & SM58... I certainly am not going for distortion... wow... I had no idea that's what they did. I just need more out of my mics as they are barely registering a signal... Condenser mics w/active pickups? Do you have any recommendations?
Hi GM...
Some that have surprised me with fairly good quality are the Naiant (handbuilt) MSH-1s. A matched set would be under $60 with mic clips (have to be ordered separately).

Also, the Behringer B-5 is a good small diaphragm mic for recording instruments, and the Behringer B-1 is a great vocal mic for the bucks. MXL makes a two mic set where one is side address and the other front address for about $100. They are both small diaphragms but configured differently...they work fine.

You would not need an additional preamp if you used condensers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-10-2007, 10:24 AM

The DMP-3 is an excellent budget preamp (~$150 for 2ch). Plenty of gain available for your SM's or a condenser if you get one.

I like MXL mics too for low cost. The 603S works well for acoustic guitar. For vocals/guitar the AT3035 is pretty good choice too.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Fran Guidry is right. Even though you don't have to drive the tube to distortion, you can adjust it to add a little fuzzy warmth, however, the cheaper tube preamps are generally very noisy. (they generate a background hiss) A good, quiet, quality tube preamp will cost over $1000. As tgm suggested, the DMP-3 is a fairly good unit for the price. However, I bought a DMP-3 hoping to have better quality mic preamps that would be better than the 4 mic preamps on my Mackie DFX-6 mixer. I can't really notice a significant improvent though. The DMP-3 is slightly quieter, but you get a lot more other featuers with the DFX-6 for just a little more money. I also have an ART Tube MP, but I never use it, it mostly sits and collects dust. It's just too noisy to be of any use to me.
Taylor GA3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell