The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Dumb questions about my new Taylor 214ce

Been playing a classical guitar for a few years, and just purchased my first steel string guitar. Taylor 214ce acoustic electric Ok, here goes with the dumb questions....

The back of the guitar is not perfectly flat. It has a slight bulge near the bottom end of the back of the guitar. Is this normal for this particular guitar?

There is a door in the bottom of the guitar for a battery, which I can't get open. That's a separate issue, but I assume if you're going to plug it into an amp, you need to first put in a battery to power the pickup?

It's obviously a whole new ballgame moving from a nylon classical Cordoba C9, to a steel string guitar. Tough on the fingers to start with, and don't know if I need a setup, or if they are pretty well set up at the factory?

It comes with light gauge Elixir phosphorus bronze strings from the factory (I think?) Are those about as easy on the fingers as anything else?

Thinking of getting an inexpensive Fender 15w acoustic amp. I won't be performing anywhere in this lifetime

Thanks for any input.......
Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 PM

The back of the guitar is not perfectly flat. It has a slight bulge near the bottom end of the back of the guitar. Is this normal for this particular guitar?

There is a door in the bottom of the guitar for a battery, which I can't get open. That's a separate issue, but I assume if you're going to plug it into an amp, you need to first put in a battery to power the pickup?

It's obviously a whole new ballgame moving from a nylon classical Cordoba C9, to a steel string guitar. Tough on the fingers to start with, and don't know if I need a setup, or if they are pretty well set up at the factory?

It comes with light gauge Elixir phosphorus bronze strings from the factory (I think?) Are those about as easy on the fingers as anything else?

Thinking of getting an inexpensive Fender 15w acoustic amp. I won't be performing anywhere in this lifetime

Thanks for any input.......[/QUOTE]

1) Normal to have that bulge on a 214

2) Yes, you will need to open the door and put in a battery.

3) Taylor has sold a lot of guitars because they are set up with easy-to-play action at the factory. Yours should be no different. Of course, I would certainly have a pro setup done if needed.

4) I think your guitar would sound best with D'Addario Light gauge Phosphor Bronze strings.

5) The best acoustic amp out there for your guitar is a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Try one out before buying anything else.

I have a 2006 214 in my stash and love the guitar. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too!
Old 05-23-2020, 07:24 PM

A back bulge could indicate a over humidified guitar. A slight bulge is normal. The battery door should be quite simple unless there’s something wrong with the release tab.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I believe that model is brace-free, and instead uses an arched laminate back. A bulge is by design, and laminates are somewhat less finicky with humidity, but treat it just the same. ;-)

And yes to the battery. One word of caution. If the battery doesn't just fall out when opened, hold it upright and gently bump the lower bout to shake battery loose. DO NOT press the battery thinking it will spring out. On some battery receptacles, the contacts are indeed two small spring contacts. I gently pressed the battery, and the one spring got stuck in the 9V’s larger (-) terminal. Holy CRAP was it a pain to find, purchase, and install a new receptacle! (Im sure that part is installed by Taylor prior to glueing the top on!
Old 05-23-2020, 08:35 PM

When I bought my first steel string guitar I dropped the string gauge down to 'Custom Light 11-52' and later as my fingertips toughened up I went back up to' Lights 12-54'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-23-2020, 09:05 PM

As for the battery door, I've had a couple where the release tab felt a little stiff. Just be patient as you fool with it, for me it has been a matter of getting the guitar in the right position to get leverage on the tab and then it popped right out.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 PM

Default Battery Door

Thanks for all the quick replies!
Regarding the battery door, finally got it! Woohoo :-)
It slides out, no hinge, and there was a battery already in there!

Last edited by 2toss; 05-23-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toss View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies!
Regarding the battery door, finally got it! Woohoo :-)
It slides out, no hinge, and there was a battery already in there!
Normal. I think every new guitar I have bought with a pre-amp came from the factory with a 9V already installed.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-24-2020, 12:56 AM

Not dumb at all!

I’m part of the camp that says lighter strings are better. (Though I keep 13’s on my D28...)

Sounds like you have 12’s on your Taylor? There’s no shame - and much benefit going lighter. I have a similar-ish guitar (a PRS A50) that I keep 10’s on. Plays like butter and makes everyone happy when they grab it off the hanger.

Oh - and I play 8’s on my 2 electric guitars. Now we’re talking!

(Note for newbies: 12 refers to the diameter of the thinnest string in thousandths of an inch or 0.012”)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have a 2018 214ceDLX. Love it. The arched back is normal. Glad you’ve solved the battery compartment. I like Elixir strings, so the light stings that Taylor ships the guitar with work for me. That said, everyone has their own string preferences. Enjoy the guitar. The 214 is a nice steel string to get started on.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:23 AM

The 100 and 200 Taylor guitars are all built with an arched back, which allows them to skip back bracing and lower the price of the guitar a bit. The back and sides are quite sturdy and durable, but you still need to maintain reasonable humidity for the solid top.

One easy way to get lower tension until your fingers toughen a bit is to tune down a half-step or a whole step. A half step gives you the same approximate total tension as going thinner by one gauge, ie: lights (12's) tuned down to Eb are about the same as extra light (11's) at E-e.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post

Thanks for any input.......

1) Normal to have that bulge on a 214

2) Yes, you will need to open the door and put in a battery.

3) Taylor has sold a lot of guitars because they are set up with easy-to-play action at the factory. Yours should be no different. Of course, I would certainly have a pro setup done if needed.

4) I think your guitar would sound best with D'Addario Light gauge Phosphor Bronze strings.

5) The best acoustic amp out there for your guitar is a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Try one out before buying anything else.

I have a 2006 214 in my stash and love the guitar. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours too![/QUOTE]

You can experiment with different strings. I like coated ones but not everyone days. Steel strings will feel different coming from nylon but you should adjust in no time.

Another vote for the Fishman Loudbox mini amp. I have one and love it. I also have owned Fender acoustic amps, which sound great too but they are larger/heavier and I like portability.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:32 AM

A word of caution about the 9 volts and Taylors, I didn't know that there were a few different size 9v, batteries. Some of them didn't fit in my 314ce. I think Taylor started making the battery holder a different size to accommodate them.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
A back bulge could indicate a over humidified guitar. A slight bulge is normal. ...
It's not humidity. The bulge is because instead of using bracing in the back of the 214ce, for structural rigidity, Taylor shape the three-ply lamination, or sandwich, to create a pronounced structural bulge.

You can only form laminates into such a pronounced brace-less bulge, as it's done when the parts are being sandwiched and glued together - once the adhesives have set, the bulge is fixed. It can be seen as an advantage of laminates. Makes for a lighter weight guitar too.

If you're unfamiliar with bracing, run your fingers under the top of the guitar and you'll find a number of fine strips of wood that have been bonded to the underside - and are absent from the inside back - those are the braces.

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 05-24-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
A word of caution about the 9 volts and Taylors, I didn't know that there were a few different size 9v, batteries. Some of them didn't fit in my 314ce. I think Taylor started making the battery holder a different size to accommodate them.
I didn't know that. I have a 2007 314ce. What year is yours?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion