The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Where does your data come from that the large majority of the US is in favor of restrictions? The number of people starting to protest and push back against the draconian restrictions is growing by day. In my state the pushback from constituents has been so large that counties are telling the governor that they are opening up regardless of what he thinks. The data clearly shows that the deaths are relegated to a very small group of people. Health care systems are laying staff off due to very small numbers of patients. Yes there are hotspots but for the most part they are relegated to the high density cities.
I had posted before it’s interesting to read this thread like minds congregate to groups that are like minded. Unfortunately I am not of the like mind of many of these posts.
This thread title should be changed to the “The End Of The World, unless we hide in fear” thread.
I respect everyone’s opinion on here but really can’t read this apocalyptic mantra any more.
Respectfully......carry on
Most Americans Think It’s Too Soon To Return To What Life Was Like Pre-Pandemic | FiveThirtyEight

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-pre-pandemic/
Old 05-11-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Most Americans Think It’s Too Soon To Return To What Life Was Like Pre-Pandemic | FiveThirtyEight

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-pre-pandemic/
Thanks,but I for one don’t believe in these polls...period, end of story.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-11-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: End of story
Old 05-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It doesn’t seem like these polls are splitting hairs. But I’m always looking for good sources of information. Do you have a better source? Where do you get your data?

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-11-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Edited political quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Thoughts on testing

I'm probably going to regret this, but I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one having similar thoughts.

First, peruse an article from our local newspaper, expressing surprise from the authorities that more people aren't coming forward for testing. This would imply that we have excess capacity.

https://www.startribune.com/health-o...-19/570343811/

1) why is it that nowhere in the article does anyone suggest that the reason for lack of testing demand is that not that many people have symptoms?
2) if asymptomatic people are such a lurking danger, why not open up this testing capacity more widely, so that the state can actually get a better picture of how widespread this is?
3) if I can't get a test without showing symptoms, why am I meant to behave as if I'm the problem?
4) if I never test positive (assuming I can ever get a test), will I ever be able to leave my house again?

That last one is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I can't manage this without humour.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-12-2020 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'm probably going to regret this, but I have a hard time thinking that I'm the only one having similar thoughts.

First, peruse an article from our local newspaper, expressing surprise from the authorities that more people aren't coming forward for testing. This would imply that we have excess capacity.

1) why is it that nowhere in the article does anyone suggest that the reason for lack of testing demand is that not that many people have symptoms?
2) if asymptomatic people are such a lurking danger, why not open up this testing capacity more widely, so that the state can actually get a better picture of how widespread this is?
3) if I can't get a test without showing symptoms, why am I meant to behave as if I'm the problem?
4) if I never test positive (assuming I can ever get a test), will I ever be able to leave my house again?

No, you’re not alone. These are great questions imo. Most of the people I know haven’t been able to get tested. And the ones who’ve been tested are getting confusing results. My daughter was diagnosed with coronavirus (NYC area) and had her entire family tested for antibodies after she recovered. She tested negative as well as her husband and 2 of her kids. Only 1 of her 3 children tested positive.

I see there have been less than 10 million tests conducted at this point in time. That’s ~ 3% of the US population. This doesn’t seem very robust.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 05-11-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:08 PM

The winery that I've played at in the past is opening the outside patios this weekend. I'm looking forward to that.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 PM

Some polls are better than other and there are some polls that are set up to get answers that clients want to see. In addition, those interpreting the data can easily slice the data to and make it appear to say whatever they want. However, there are a many pretty good polls and some good people doing some very good analysis, even if they are somewhat off in their conclusions occasionally. Five Thirty Eight has a very solid approach to reading the data. Real Clear Politics also has a pretty solid approach. One would be hard pressed to find them very far off in their analysis very often. Take your own survey of gambling sights to see how far they are off in odds making and point spreads. They miss the mark on only the rarest occasions. It’s a bad rap that people give the polls and ignoring what experts find in the data is, in my mind, a convenient way to defend (generally) unsubstantiated positions. Maybe I am just being defensive after spending 25 years in market research..

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'm probably going to regret this, but I have a hard time thinking that I'm the only one having similar thoughts.

You really don't care about a standard Covid test if you're showing no symptoms. What we all want is a vetted and accurate antibody test. That's the game changer, in my opinion.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
“*All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” Pensees, Blaise Pascal.

Last edited by buddyhu; 05-11-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 PM

I figure I'm gonna' be pretty safe alone in my car, on the road...
Old 05-11-2020, 08:07 PM

On a high note, a good friend in the hospital for 12 days with the virus and related complications WENT HOME today! Still a lat of recovering to do but it’s still a big step in the right direction. A good feeling.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 PM

A guy I used to be stationed with several years ago passed away last week. My friend's sister died last month.

The funny (as in odd) part is that these folks were vehemently following social distancing, shelter at home and quarantine rules.

I have not, and I'm healthy as can be...
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Consider this, Australia locked down, Sweden didn't.

With a population of 10.2 million, Sweden's had 23,918 infections and 2,941 deaths, a third of which have been in nursing homes.

Australia's population is 25.7 million. It's had 6,875 infections and 97 deaths.

If Australia followed Sweden's trajectory, COVID-19 would have killed more than 7,000 people.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
A guy I used to be stationed with several years ago passed away last week. My friend's sister died last month.

The funny (as in odd) part is that these folks were vehemently following social distancing, shelter at home and quarantine rules.

I have not, and I'm healthy as can be...
Not odd at all. You have been lucky, and they were exposed in a way that is not obvious. “social distancing” means different things to different people, and hence, what different people actually do can vary quite a bit. As the article posted by seannx suggests, people sometimes manage to unwittingly introduce the virus into their home environment and then get sick, even though they would describe themselves as adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Social distancing works, but it is not 100% effective. Nothing is. But to give up on social distancing because it is not foolproof is unwise, IMO.

Many in this country don’t know how to think deductively, and do not understand science and probability, so the ignorance and mistrust of the general population seems to be what is going to determine the trajectory of this pandemic in the coming weeks. We will see if we get lucky, or whether this triggers a second wave. By June, we will have some early indications.

Last edited by buddyhu; 05-12-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:42 AM

Illinois coronavirus deaths were 140/135 per day for many, many days. The last three days have been in the 50's, yesterday was 53.

3459 total out of over 79,000 positive test's. Death rate .043 and dropping every day.

The Simo Group announced they are opening 50% of it's over 200 malls NEXT WEEK !

https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-...t-week-2974661

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic