The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillin View Post
Hey that's DANGEROUS! Old battery tends to leak corrosive plasma, which is not only gross, but also might destroy your electronic device eventually! If you don't plug in very often, please remove the battery.
I agree, except, I'd say even if you do plug in often remove the battery after each use. I've learned that the hard way, fortunately with other devices, not with any of my guitars. For those who leave their batteries in, I'd say, you may be living on borrowed time. Thing is, some say, "oh, I've never had a battery leak" and from that they are lulled into thinking it will never happen to them. It isn't difficult to take the battery out, so why not play it safe and just do it?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseflake View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. There are many different sizes. Here is the size you need to look for....Duracell 6LR61. It is the exact size.
Yeah, that model always worked, but I can't find that particular model of Duracell around where I live and shop anymore.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Hey that's DANGEROUS! Old battery tends to leak corrosive plasma, which is not only gross, but also might destroy your electronic device eventually! If you don't plug in very often, please remove the battery.
No worries, I sold the guitar a couple or years ago.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 AM

I am glad that in my main Martin that I play it has an M1A pickup which takes a 1632 battery. It's a battery that is used in garage door remotes and is about the size of a quarter. They do last a long time I am surprised that they aren't used in mor pickups.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
My Taylor 12-string has a built in tuner/pickup. I don't use/have/want an amp, but use the tuner...does that count or should I still take the battery out?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:58 AM

There are two different models of the Duracell Coppertop 9V. I'm at work, so dont' have the numbers on hand. If you stand them up side-by-side, you'll seethe bottom of the battery to the top of the connector is the same size, but the body is taller on 1 (the kind that doesn't fit in the Taylor battery compartment), with the connector thinner.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Taylors and 9V batteries

Not to derail the thread, but I appreciate the info shared here as it explains volumes about the problems I encounter with my smoke alarms. No problem with my guitars pick ups though.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseflake View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. There are many different sizes. Here is the size you need to look for....Duracell 6LR61. It is the exact size.
That is probably the exact battery that they used in modeling for the latest batch of holders. BTW the old holders will fit in the new Taylors and vice versa, so there it no problem with incompatibility from guitar to guitar (ES1/ES2). But if you want to be safe, it's these, the "Duralock" iteration from Duracell.
https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Alka...Duracell+6LR61 At $2.67 per battery this is as cheap as you'll find them. I prefer to stay with the rechargeables.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-09-2018, 10:04 AM

A couple of threads with similar info about Taylor battery size::

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=350034

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=226990
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 AM

I would just like to add that if you don't have the proper 9V batt that fits the ES holder just right (not too tight), DO NOT force it into the ES compartment. Yes, you'll be able to snap it in and it will work, but it will be a ROYAL PAIN in *ss to get it out! Trust me. I almost cried.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:34 AM

I'm in the UK and I find that Energizer batteries are the only ones that fit my GSmini e . I've tried many others but again I've found them too large
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
My Taylor 12-string has a built in tuner/pickup. I don't use/have/want an amp, but use the tuner...does that count or should I still take the battery out?
All batteries leak, however it's much more likely to happen on dead ones. As long as you are sure that the battery is alive, you are relatively safe (but it still can leak in a very small chance).

A dead battery will eventually leak. For devices that are frequently used, we know the battery is dead and we will replace it; but for devices that will be kept idle for a while, we don't know when its batteries will die. Keep in mind that all batteries self-discharge, and for many devices, they consume battery power even if turned off.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've found these rechargeables to fit (albeit snuggly) and have 600mah power for extra long life. Not only do they fit and last a long time but have enough juice to power a pedal for a 3 hour gig. http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HV4KFSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$22, but you have four batteries ready to go and it will be a few years before they need replacing. I have other 200-250mah NiMH batteries that work, but I like these the best. $4 for a throw-away alkaline? Not for me. I use the rechargeables for everything.
OK, so does 600 mA-hr last longer than normal non-rechargeables? About the same? Less?

I just had my Taylor die during a gig. Worked fine for the first half, then with no warning, done. Got home and checked the voltage, 4.0V. Definitely dead. Never had that happen before.

Years ago I tried 9v rechargeable and thought they sucked. But they have come a long way, based on this advice, I'm going to try it again. I'll be more willing to swap batteries out knowing that it's not costing me anything.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 11-11-2018, 03:17 PM

I am an HVAC tech by day. Duracell has been manufacturing in Malaysia and/or Indonesia for the last couple of years instead of USA. These third world batteries are junk, usually leaking in less than 1.5 yr instead of typically lasting 5+ as USA did. A very frequent cause of service calls for me for inoperative thermostats. You get what you pay for!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
To my knowledge, Taylor has always recommended the use of Duracell 9V batteries. I've always used Duracell. Earlier this year I purchased a 4 pack and their dimensions have changed. I can barely force the batteries in the holder without fear of breaking the holder.
So I purchased some Ray0Vacs. Same thing.
Yesterday, I purchased a two pack of Energizer 9 volt batteries and fortunately they fit.

I'm wondering specifically about the Duracells, why their dimensions have suddenly changed. JFYI
The battery sizes didn't change. Taylor's battery holders did. My 2011 614 will take any 9v battery comfortably. My 2017 814's battery holder has slightly smaller inside dimensions so some battery that I can use in the 614 will not fit comfortably in the 814. Taylor must have changed suppliers and/or molds.

I gave up using disposable 9v batteries long ago. For awhile I was using NiMh batteries and some were snugger than others. I've recently changed to rechargeable lithium Ion batteries rated at 600maH. https://www.amazon.com/EBL-Lithium-B...es+lithium-ion I make certain to check and recharge my batteries before every gig and rotate and test them. These batteries will fit in the newer Taylor battery holder, but just a bit snug which is ok.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion