The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 09:45 PM

Default Small cracks on my taylor, help!

Hello, I have a taylor 812 and I live in a country with a lot of humidity, so I believe that's what's causing this problem, I just noticed cracks on my guitar, righ in the line of the input jack, and I don't know exactly what to do.

What can I do to remove the humidity? is this how a crack from humidity looks like? Is this serious? If it's humidity how can I remove it, using household objects or what should I do?, I'm in covid19 lockdown at the moment.

Here are some photos.

Thanks In advance.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

It's unusual for high humidity to cause cracks. That is usually a problem you'll find from long stretches of low humidity. The location of your crack makes me think the guitar landed on the end pin jack too hard. For now, I'd just sit tight and when the virus stuff passes, bring it to the best tech you can find in your area. That damage should be repairable to a degree where you'd hardly notice it ever happened.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-28-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's unusual for high humidity to cause cracks. That is usually a problem you'll find from long stretches of low humidity. The location of your crack makes me think the guitar landed on the end pin jack too hard. For now, I'd just sit tight and when the virus stuff passes, bring it to the best tech you can find in your area. That damage should be repairable to a degree where you'd hardly notice it ever happened.
thanks a lot, yes that's what I've always thought, but the humidity here is about 100 at the moment, very tropical, hence why I don't think it's something like that, I mostly keep it in my case, specially these days, and I just noticed today.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipiboi View Post
thanks a lot, yes that's what I've always thought, but the humidity here is about 100 at the moment, very tropical, hence why I don't think it's something like that, I mostly keep it in my case, specially these days, and I just noticed today.
Just because a guitar is in a case doesn't mean it's immune from impact cracks. I'm not saying it's impossible for humidity to be the cause but it would be unusual if it was. I think you'd need to be very cautious about trying to dry out that guitar right now. Dehumidifying will shrink the wood and that crack will likely widen and spread. As I said before, I think the best thing you can do is sit tight for now.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Just because a guitar is in a case doesn't mean it's immune from impact cracks. I'm not saying it's impossible for humidity to be the cause but it would be unusual if it was. I think you'd need to be very cautious about trying to dry out that guitar right now. Dehumidifying will shrink the wood and that crack will likely widen and spread. As I said before, I think the best thing you can do is sit tight for now.
yes I agree, someone even told me that maybe the case it's making it more humid because of the weather here.

What do you think I should do? is this a big problem? or is somewhat normal? my experience in this things is very limited.

Last edited by jipiboi; 05-28-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:48 PM

Can you tell whether it’s just a finish crack, or if the wood underneath is also cracked? It looks like just a finish crack to me, but obviously hard to tell from a photo. If it’s just a finish crack, it’s not really a big deal. Even if it’s also in that tail strip under the finish, that doesn’t seem like the end of the world. Either way, I’d just keep an eye on it until you can get it to a repair shop for their diagnosis. I don’t think your guitar is in danger of falling apart or anything.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentKooper View Post
Can you tell whether it’s just a finish crack, or if the wood underneath is also cracked? It looks like just a finish crack to me, but obviously hard to tell from a photo. If it’s just a finish crack, it’s not really a big deal. Even if it’s also in that tail strip under the finish, that doesn’t seem like the end of the world. Either way, I’d just keep an eye on it until you can get it to a repair shop for their diagnosis. I don’t think your guitar is in danger of falling apart or anything.
Thanks a lot for the response, honestly I don't know how to tell if it's just a crack on the finish. if I move my fingers on it I can feel it very easily.

what else can I do now? it's gonna take time for me to get out, a couple of weeks, a month or if it gets worst, more time.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:27 PM

I think your guitar will be fine. Guitars do settle a little as they age. One of mine had a crack in the side years ago and never got bigger because there was a brace inside the crack.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 PM

So get yourself some device of your choice to hang over the strings to correct the humidity, your crack is typical from the body swelling a little from uptake of too much water.

When its in the correct range it will be less noticeable

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-28-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I think your guitar will be fine. Guitars do settle a little as they age. One of mine had a crack in the side years ago and never got bigger because there was a brace inside the crack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
So get yourself some device of your choice to hang over the strings to correct the humidity, your crack is typical from the body swelling a little from uptake of too much water.

When its in the correct range it will be less noticeable

Steve

Thanks a lot for your input! What kind of device can I use? at the moment I don't have anything at hand, only rice ? but I don't know if that'll help me.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:06 AM

https://www.stewmac.com/strings-and-...kaAg3OEALw_wcB

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
thanks a lot unfortunately they don't sell those here, and impossible to order from somewhere else
Old 05-29-2020, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Looks like just a finish crack to me. You can tell because the crack doesn't end at the wood. It carries over the binding.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 AM

How long have you had this guitar, how long has it been exposed to this sort of level of humidity, etc...?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-29-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipiboi View Post
Thanks a lot for the response, honestly I don't know how to tell if it's just a crack on the finish. if I move my fingers on it I can feel it very easily.

what else can I do now? it's gonna take time for me to get out, a couple of weeks, a month or if it gets worst, more time.
Use a strong light source to shine on the crack, and at the same time, use a mirror or/ cell phone to check inside the guitar to check if any light beam could pass through the crack.

If the crack is through the wood, light would be able to pass through

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion