The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Another pet peeve is upgrade prices that do not account for the displaced item. For example when ordering a guitar a Calton is available at $1200. Now we all know we can buy a new Calton anywhere at $1200, but where is the credit for the nice and included $300 - $400 standard case that I will not be receiving?
You had me up until you discussed what I consider to be a luxury item. If we were talking about a case of toilet paper that cost $15 before this pandemic and now costs $50 then I’d be sympathetic. In this case (no pun intended,) I see the other side of things where a business that has had highly skilled people sitting home without pay for two months is looking to recoup losses and get those people back to work.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:52 AM

The relentless TV commercials reminding us that "we're all in this together".
Uh huh.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Yes FLRon.
Stupid catch phrases dreamed up by .. who knows who makes this stuff up .. that get tossed around

Wait,
I’ve edited the ending of that sentence above 3 times,
when all I really want to say is I’m really enjoying reading this thread.
If it gets too big, let’s start another.

So,
Stay safe,
Be well,
and remember,
in these troubled times, we’re all in this together.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:10 PM

As someone that lives in Canada, one of my pet peeve's when vacationing in the US is pennies and one dollar bills. My wallet always gets full of one dollar bills and my pockets with pennies. I'm so happy when I can "get rid" of them.

(In case you where not aware, in Canada there are no more pennies. It would cost the government 2 cents for every cent made... really. So, all cash purchases are rounded to the nearest 5 cents.. Credit card purchases are to the penny.

Also, we have dollar (loonie) and 2 dollar (toonie) coins. The paper bills were stopped as soon as the coins were introduced...)
Old 05-26-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
You had me up until you discussed what I consider to be a luxury item. If we were talking about a case of toilet paper that cost $15 before this pandemic and now costs $50 then I’d be sympathetic. In this case (no pun intended,) I see the other side of things where a business that has had highly skilled people sitting home without pay for two months is looking to recoup losses and get those people back to work.

Just my $.02.
Ime this kind of thing has been going on with guitar cases, new car wheel and tire packages, etc. since the Spanish Flu, and probably longer so I don't really see the current pandemic as being relevant.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Another one:
People who wave you on while driving. Various cars arrive at a four way intersection, and instead of simply proceeding in the order of their arrival, some nice guy is waving you to go in front of them. I say traffic flows best when the rules are followed and everyone goes in turn.

And especially when someone stops for no reason on a four lane road and waves you to turn or cross in front on them without a thought to what is happening in the other lane. This one actually makes my blood boil.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_sly View Post
As someone that lives in Canada, one of my pet peeve's when vacationing in the US is pennies and one dollar bills. My wallet always gets full of one dollar bills and my pockets with pennies. I'm so happy when I can "get rid" of them.

(In case you where not aware, in Canada there are no more pennies. It would cost the government 2 cents for every cent made... really. So, all cash purchases are rounded to the nearest 5 cents.. Credit card purchases are to the penny.

Also, we have dollar (loonie) and 2 dollar (toonie) coins. The paper bills were stopped as soon as the coins were introduced...)
Not really a pet peeve but why do Canadians have dimes and quarters that are the same size as their US counterparts. Whenever I use the coin sorted inavriably there’s a Canadian coin in the mix that gets spit out.

BTW why are Canadian coins magnetic and US coins aren’t?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Not really a pet peeve but why do Canadians have dimes and quarters that are the same size as their US counterparts. Whenever I use the coin sorted inavriably there’s a Canadian coin in the mix that gets spit out.

BTW why are Canadian coins magnetic and US coins aren’t?
That's a good point about the coin sizes. I've never really considered that before. I mean we get American coins mixed in sometimes with our Canadian coins but most people don't care (especially since American money is worth 35% more... )

I didn't know that about the magnetic versus not... must have to do with the type of metal used... I know Canadian coins tend to keep their shine longer.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 PM

On the subject of US and Canadian money: I flew from Miami to Philly once and a woman from Philly sat next to me and we chatted a bit and the money topic came up. She could not believe that we, in Canada, had our very own money. I produced a $5 Canadian bill from my wallet and she was kind of stunned. So much so, she bought the bill off me as “proof”. There’s a pet peeve in there, somewhere.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM

I have a few pet peeves. But, an arguably weird one, is when folks type without any semblance of grammar. Like typing one line at a time, not spacing punctuation correctly, over-using ellipsis, etc. I make grammar mistakes all the time. But, I'm not talking about mistyping or a typo. I'm talking about systematically doing this throughout an entire post.

It's not that I'm the grammar police, it's just that I'm so used to correct grammar, when I see grammar that's all over the place, my brain shuts off after a short while because I can't process it. So, I usually don't even read posts like that here or other forums.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-16-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

That annoying proprietary earbud jack on recent (past 5 years) iPhones.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:34 PM

When someone asking for their opinion on a movie/song/whatever and you inevitably get a "I've never watched the movie and never will". How does that do anything to move the conversation along. Grrrrr..
Old 06-17-2020, 12:07 AM

People sitting in their cars, idling and fumigating everybody around them.

After 15 years of living in the US, I have developed my own theory, based on observation: to the average American, the concept of being inside a vehicle and not running the engine appears to be incomprehensible. It regularly boggles my mind how acceptable this habit appears to be here. Yet the same people undergo a complete meltdown if they notice the faintest whiff of cigarette smoke wafting over from a street corner a quarter mile down the road.

The worst is when they're sitting in their cars, idling, ostensively to run the AC, yet all windows are down. Makes me want to walk up and just punch them.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-17-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I have a few pet peeves. But, an arguably weird one, is when folks type without any semblance of grammar. Like typing one line at a time, not spacing punctuation correctly, over-using ellipsis, etc. I make grammar mistakes all the time. But, I'm not talking about mistyping or a typo. I'm talking about systematically doing this throughout an entire post.

It's not that I'm the grammar police, it's just that I'm so used to correct grammar, when I see grammar that's all over the place, my brain shuts off after a short while because I can't process it. So, I usually don't even read posts like that here or other forums.
Oh, same here. I don't even read those posts/comments. I immediately dismiss them as having been made by a person who either lacks the most basic education, or doesn't care. Either way, I consider the likelihood of me getting anything out of engaging in an exchange with such a person is pretty slim, so I'm not going to waste my time.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-17-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
The relentless TV commercials reminding us that "we're all in this together".
Uh huh.
TV. Another pet peeve of mine. Never had it. Never will. Life's better that way. Plus, more time to practice.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic