The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
What type of adhesive would be used with a wooden pickguard that would make it possible to remove it later without damaging the top?

A wooden pickguard seems like adding another brace to me - a brace that could affect tone and timbre in negative ways.
That's why I laminate it to plastic. I don't know if it actually does affect the tone, but just in case.

You can remove necks, bridges, braces or just about anything on a guitar that was glued with Titebond or many other types of glue without damaging the guitar, at least not too badly anyway. I guess HHG or fish glue might be advantageous for a wood pickguard but I would just use what ever glue you use for building. You can remove it if necessary.

You could even just rout it right off.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 AM

I see no reason why a wooden pickguard couldn't be glued on with the same glue sheets that a plastic one uses. It's not structural like a bridge, and certainly doesn't require wood glue/clamping, etc.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's why I laminate it to plastic. I don't know if it actually does affect the tone, but just in case.
Out of curiosity, what glue are you using to laminate wood to plastic pickguards

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM

You can infuse the wood with acrylic, or do a fill with epoxy or CA glue. That should stabilize the pickguard well enough. Minwax sells this stuff called wood stabilizer which really hardens up the wood, and consolidates soft or punky wood. Dries pretty hard too. If you use the acrylic and a vacuum tank the pickguard can be buffed out just like plastic.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Out of curiosity, what glue are you using to laminate wood to plastic pickguards

Steve
Re-reading what I wrote makes it sound like I do this kind of thing all the time, I don't. It's been so long since I've done one like that I cannot honestly remember now. I might have a note of it in my note book though. But off the top of my head I probably used an epoxy. It's also possible I just used 3M tape sheets. I use that now for pick guards. Ages ago I used to use a spray adhesive.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

This is an Ebony pickguard (natural, no finish). It is about .030” thick. Ebony is quite hard and is scratch resistant as hardwoods go.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Re-reading what I wrote makes it sound like I do this kind of thing all the time, I don't.
Thankyou for your honesty.

I make wood pick guards on the occasion, I cross ply the wood.

Customer came in with a guitar with a plastic one fitted with a wood top, made me think how did they get a good bond over the whole surface, must have been good glue with a good open time

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-24-2018, 07:43 PM

I forget which number 3M double sided adhesive we used to use for sign making... but we would adhere it to the back of the plastic before cutting out raised letters for ADA compliant signage. Pretty darn strong, being the letters were only 5/8" high.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:04 AM

That sounds like some tough double sided tape.

The one that was fitted was definitely plastic backed, I really could not say with honesty if the covering was actually wood or simply a wrap, it would have to have been very thin as I could not distinguish a join line or glue up area.

Customer bought it from a US supplier who advertises it as veneer wood on plastic backing. Nice job that being said.

The job has left otherwise I would have taken a photo, in hindsight everything makes sense.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 03-25-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 AM

That 3M tape is incredible. I've always topped the wood PG's with a clear PG which is backed by 3M tape.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That sounds like some tough double sided tape.

The one that was fitted was definitely plastic backed, I really could not say with honesty if the covering was actually wood or simply a wrap, it would have to have been very thin as I could not distinguish a join line or glue up area.

Customer bought it from a US supplier who advertises it as veneer wood on plastic backing. Nice job that being said.

The job has left otherwise I would have taken a photo, in hindsight everything makes sense.

Steve
Canadian supplier, but same stuff:

http://www.signcraftersupply.com/com...&category_id=9
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Thanks, I will see if I can get some local stuff, I am interested to see how well they fair using a plastic base sheet to attach to.

Making wood pickguards my way is a little time consuming as I cross laminate the veneers first before cutting the shape I am after

Stve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will see if I can get some local stuff, I am interested to see how well they fair using a plastic base sheet to attach to.

Making wood pickguards my way is a little time consuming as I cross laminate the veneers first before cutting the shape I am after

Stve
I've done them both ways... but on Strats and Teles, where they're screwed on. This adhesive is nice because it is clear, so no problems with semi-translucent pickguards.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:30 AM

I don't have the part number, but 3M makes a tape for automotive body side moldings and such that is extremely strong tape. It only comes in thin widths though as I recall.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 PM

Newest pickguard, Laminated 4 pieces of wenge to get desired thickness

Next one, I am going to try the plastic backing with the 3m tape referenced here.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair