The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Whats Your Live Stream Setup

Now that more and more of us are jumping into facebook live I'd like to see what peoples setups are. I use my output from my bose l1 into a trrs adaptor then into my adroid. Picture is fine but I still dont like the audio.
What are you doing?
Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moribimur View Post
Now that more and more of us are jumping into facebook live I'd like to see what peoples setups are. I use my output from my bose l1 into a trrs adaptor then into my adroid. Picture is fine but I still dont like the audio.
What are you doing?
There are a couple threads over in the Acoustic Amplification section that have been working on this

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=575476

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=576692
Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Default If you aren’t streaming, you’re not playing live

I use a condenser mic, Rode M3, because the condenser mics seem to allow greater distance between singer and mic and I want less of the mic showing in the stream. A good mic makes a huge difference. My guitar is equipped with K&K mini pickups.

Mic and guitar go into Focusrite 2i2 (two channel pre), and then to Windows laptop via usb cable. Using Zoom for streaming. The two channel pre allows me to separately adjust the guitar and mic levels to get the right balance. In my earlier attempts, I used a single mic for vocals and guitar, and that didn’t work because either the vocals or guitar were fading in and out.

My room is nothing special, but there is almost no noise or echo with this setup. Comments from listeners is that the sound is excellent. But I can’t verify this, because I haven’t figured out how to record and listen to the performance. I’m that much of a newbie.

Also, I don’t use headphones, because they look bad in a video. Sound from the meeting is run through a typical mid-level quality pc speakers, which are aimed away from the mic. There is no feedback.

And I definitely want others on the forum to share their streaming setup, because if you aren’t streaming, you’re not playing live.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 AM

I’ve done one:
Guitar and mic into Loudbox Mini - DI out to Focusrite itrack - into iPhone

Second one :

Guitar and mic into Yamaha MG10XU left out to Focusrite itrack then into iPhone and right out to Powered speaker for monitoring.

Both have worked pretty well for me, favourite is the second option.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Vocals use a Miktek PM9

Guitar is a Martin CEO7 with K&K pickup into a Tonedexter

Both signals go into a Soundcraft EFX8 mixer

The mixer output goes into the DI port of an Audient iD14 interface and then into an iMac.

I use the iMac camera.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Any better mic than your phone or web cam will help. USB mic, or good mic running in through your interface, make a huge difference no matter what platform you're on.

But as plenty have noted, Zoom, Google Meet and other videoconferencing platforms just aren't optimized for music, especially multiple sources simultaneously. The latency, compression and multiplexing will all have their issues.

I posted a video about using OBS Studio to livestream to Facebook, and you could probably use it for YouTube as well. I haven't tried to stream yet, but OBS is really easy to work with. (FWIW in that video, if you don't also need to send your audio in-house to speakers or something, you don't need Soundflower.) I hope to try it sometime this coming week.

The difference here is that Zoom/Google Meet/Skype etc. aren't even really livestreaming applications, and I don't consider them as such. Having multiple people communicating/presenting from different locations is a totally different beast (and one I don't think there are great tools for).

Edit: just to answer the OP, my system looks like:
Video from Logitech webcam
Audio: Behringer B1 LDC into Scarlet 2i2 interface
Capture/stream SW: OBS Studio to Facebook livestream

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification