The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-01-2020, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default MIDNIGHT RIDER

Enjoy this lesson on the acoustic version of The Allman Brothers Band-"Midnight Rider".
Old 04-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Default Chord Shape Substitutions

Hey Kevin, thanks for this lesson - it's great to find a simple way to play a really cool song.

As a lower intermediate player whose old hands don't do what they used to, I searched out alternatives to the barre chord versions in the lesson.

Gm7 - can be played 3x333x (using the middle finger on the 6th string and the ring finger on strings 4,3,2, all at the 3rd fret, muting 5 and 10). This is a useful shape for other songs, as it's moveable.

Another chord book I have showed Gm7 as xx3333. Using the ring finger to bar the strings at the 3rd fret makes for an easy transition between D and C. (this should be a moveable shape also) This doesn't sound as full as the other shapes since it only uses the higher four strings, but I think both variations sound okay if you just can't do the full barre.

Bflat - I found two variations for this one also:

1. xxO331, using the index finger on the 1st fret of the high E string, ring and middle finger at the 3rd fret on the 2nd and 3rd strings, and playing the 4th string open.

2. xx3336, using the index to bar the 1st four strings, then fretting the high E with the pinky. I find that easier than it sounds, and for me, easier than #1

Both of these are unfortunately four string chords, and require a little care to not play the top two strings, but are suitable if the full barre is out of the question.

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 04-08-2020, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

SCVJ. - thanks for sharing that. I will try those chords out and pass them on to folks as well!
Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 AM

The easiest way to play that Bb chord is really the major barre chord form played at sixth fret.
Unfortunately, it's just not a chord formation that sounds right in this particular song despite being the "correct" chord.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-29-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Please stop the profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write