The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 AM

One of the reasons I'm giving this away and making sure doing it yourself is easy is I hate getting stuck in a vender trap.

Once you've downloaded my Octave script you are independent from me too!

The joy of my HX Stomp is it is literally the only pedal on the floor and it goes directly into the 3.5mm TRS input of my CP8. No mess on the floor and no mixer.

However, new guitars and new pickups seem to be a problem I have and I want to be fully independent with IRs for whatever I end up playing next.

The other thing I asked Doug Young to help me with is bootstrapping slightly more capable IR loader pedals. To drive demand for IR loaders that have the IR length to excel at acoustic guitar application first needs the "egg" or IR (wavemap/image) source.

My dream pedal would be 2048 sample IR capable, have mix and volume knobs, a bypass switch, run off standard Tube Screamer compatible 9 volt negative tip power, have that tiniest of pedal form factors, and a $100 MAP. This would be the ideal addition to your existing acoustic guitar preamp that covers everything else.

The next step is to turn my script running on Octave into Windows and MAC programs (that do not require Octave installation). I think this is a reasonable problem for someone with the right skills and development software.

That price point and feature set is not a challenge IMO speaking as a retired EE.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-07-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
One of the reasons I'm giving this away and making sure doing it yourself is easy is I hate getting stuck in a vender trap.

The joy of my HX Stomp is it is literally the only pedal on the floor and it goes directly into the 3.5mm TRS input of my CP8. No mess on the floor and no mixer.

However, new guitars and new pickups seem to be a problem I have and I want to be fully independent with IRs for whatever I end up playing next.

The other thing I asked Doug Young to help me with is bootstrapping slightly more capable IR loader pedals. To drive demand for IR loaders that have the IR length to excel at acoustic guitar application first needs the "egg" or IR (wavemap/image) source.

My dream pedal would be 2048 sample IR capable, have mix and volume knobs, a bypass switch, run off standard Tube Screamer compatible 9 volt negative tip power, have that tiniest of pedal form factors, and a $100 MAP. This would be the ideal addition to your existing acoustic guitar preamp that covers everything else.

The next step is to turn my script running on Octave into Windows and MAC programs (that do not require Octave installation). I think this is a trivial problem for someone with the right skills and development software.

That price point and feature set is not a challenge IMO speaking as a retired EE.
I can't tell you how exciting this all is! The ability to record and then form my own IRs is an incredible leap!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-07-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Two-Notes CabM comes close to what you want, Id think, other than the price. All the "knobs" are menu-based, but other than that, it does what you're asking for, along with some pretty cool software for manipulating IRs, blending them, EQing them, etc.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:18 AM

How about using something like the ‘Fiddlicator’ app to load the IR with EQ and reverb) via your cell phone?
Old 02-07-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
My dream pedal would be 2048 sample IR capable, have mix and volume knobs, a bypass switch, run off standard Tube Screamer compatible 9 volt negative tip power, have that tiniest of pedal form factors, and a $100 MAP.
I wonder how far on could get with a simple raspberry pi?
Convolution with Brutefir should be fast enough with low latency, see e.g. here in the linked pdf-thesis.
Setup for "low latency audio" would be required, some hints can be found here plus one would need a soundcard, the onboard audio support is not so good (e.g. from Sabrent shown here or a cheap Hifiberry soundcard).

Kind regards, Sascha
Old 02-08-2020, 06:30 PM

I emailed a couple of WAV Files to Jon today, following the instructions in the 1st post. Recorded using Helix LT into Reaper, using USB 1/2 and 3/4 for Piezo DI and Mic.
I very quickly received the IR files...they sound great ! Very accurate tonally to both my guitars ( a 2016 Faith Venus and a 30 year old Westfield)
I did find that compared to previous IR's I have tried, these IR's do need a big Volume boost ( IR at -4.8db, with about +19 db extra Gain via Helix gain Blocks), but once done, all was good.
Thanks Jon, and all that have contributed to this Thread...great stuff
Old 02-09-2020, 07:26 AM

If I could figure out how to use a dang DAW. They just confuse the crap out of me. I had Helix Native working in Garageband for a while and then no sound at all. I had input signal but no output. I think I finally figured it out. I'll have to check when I get home next week as I've been away for awhile.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezz60 View Post
I emailed a couple of WAV Files to Jon today, following the instructions in the 1st post. Recorded using Helix LT into Reaper, using USB 1/2 and 3/4 for Piezo DI and Mic.
I very quickly received the IR files...they sound great ! Very accurate tonally to both my guitars ( a 2016 Faith Venus and a 30 year old Westfield)
I did find that compared to previous IR's I have tried, these IR's do need a big Volume boost ( IR at -4.8db, with about +19 db extra Gain via Helix gain Blocks), but once done, all was good.
Thanks Jon, and all that have contributed to this Thread...great stuff
Thanks for the nice feedback! I'm not sure why you need the volume boost. On my HX Stomp for the two guitars I've tried at home, I needed a 2 dB cut to the 50/50 mix of IR/bypass to be the same volume as 100% bypass.

Jon Fields
Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the nice feedback! I'm not sure why you need the volume boost. On my HX Stomp for the two guitars I've tried at home, I needed a 2 dB cut to the 50/50 mix of IR/bypass to be the same volume as 100% bypass.
It's probably because I run the Helix LT Master Volume Knob at 12 o'clock.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:42 AM

I've modified the code to also generate a 1024 point IR for experimentation. You can load it into a longer IR pedal and see if the short IR does the job (my standard IR is 2048 samples). If it does, then one of the <$100 MAP IR loaders might be acceptable for you.

Another way to experiment, before investing in a cheap IR loader pedal, would be to run my shorter IR in your DAW (such as the ReaVerb plug-in included with Reaper) and see if it does the trick for you.

To summarize, the code now generates:

jf45ir.wav - 2048 sample IR
jf45ir5050.wav - 2048 sample 50% IR, 50% bypass
jf45ir1024 - 1024 sample IR

I am hopeful that since my IR generator does not have a big bass boost that the shorter IR might still be effective. You need the longer IR for the equalization to work at lower frequencies.

Jon Fields
Old 02-09-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
OK, I'll bite (and display my complete ignorance at the same time)... What the heck is an "IR"?
THANK YOU.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-10-2020, 01:41 PM

I asked Lezz60 to evaluate my truncated 1024 length IRs and he reports:

Hi Jon,
no prob at all. I just did an A/B test of both, in otherwise identical Presets on my Helix LT. No noticeable difference to my ears...the 1024 seems just as good on my setup

It seems reasonable to me as even the 20 milliseconds or so of 1024 samples is enough to hold two cycles at 100 Hz (you need the longer IR for bass response). I think this makes sense given the fundamental of the low E string needs no adjustment in my approach which does not boost bass. Also LR Baggs concluded that mixing in a mic for their Anthem gets meaningful at 200 Hz and up for which 1024 samples is plenty.

I have contacted HoTone about a firmware version of Omni that supports an acoustic guitar mode with fewer features (volume, bypass/IR mix, and 2048 samples). They have replied to my email and seem to have not shut this idea down out of hand.

However, 20 millisecond IR pedals are here now for <$100 MAP. Here is one that MF stocks and is therefore returnable if it does not do the trick for you, the Nux Mini Studio. The IR is 1024 points and loadable from a PC.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...udio-ir-loader

This little pedal would sit nicely next to the preamp you already own and love.

Jon Fields
Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 PM

Be careful nux pedal does not provide Parametric EQ...

As I said before my DIY 1024 pts pedal with Parametric EQ and Highpass filter does the job.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM

I'm planning to use the Atomi Amplifire for boost, EQ, and IR processing but it is limited to 1024 pt. This one however does long IR's:

logidy.com/?pid=1
Old 02-10-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caballlero59 View Post
I'm planning to use the Atomi Amplifire for boost, EQ, and IR processing but it is limited to 1024 pt. This one however does long IR's:

logidy.com/?pid=1
The amplifire was tested with IR by AeroUSA when it came out. The logidy EPSI was the first pedal to be tested with custom IR on the AGF long before tonededter came out.

For those who were not here back in 2016 when I started that IR thing on the AGF, here are the original links:
This is my 1st thread [Lyric+D18]

2nd thread [Doug Young joined in]

3rd IR posts [HD-28 TA Amulet]

IR thread about DIY IR pedal

Sorry for the missing samples... Many soundcloud test samples have been removed [but not all]
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 02-10-2020 at 11:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification