The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Default Cover of The Lone Bellow's "You Never Need Nobody"

Thought y'all might like this one.

Last week, we went to Cabo san Lucas to play a private event. Thursday morning we commandeered a snorkeling tour boat and had it drop us off on a little island beach across the bay and filmed this.

Obligatory gear nerd info:

Banjo: 1927 Bacon and Day Silver Bell #1
Guitar: some kind of special Guild artist series, I think
Mic: Apogee One
Old 01-21-2020, 09:01 PM

You all sound great. Really enjoyed it.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
You all sound great. Really enjoyed it.

Thanks! We love this tune.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Very cool!

Love The Lone Bellow - saw them at Old Settlers Music Festival last April, and have tix to see them next month!

Thanks.

P.S. Is the audio recording really done with that single recorder on the mic stand? No hidden wireless?? Pretty darn good.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 01-22-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Cover of The Lone Bellow's "You Never Need Nobody"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post

P.S. Is the audio recording really done with that single recorder on the mic stand? No hidden wireless?? Pretty darn good.
Thanks!

Yep! It’s just the Apogee One. The “mix” happens by us figuring out where to stand. My
banjo is way louder than my partner’s guitar, so I’m actually standing a little back.

Apogee is plugged into my laptop, which is sitting on the beach below the frame. I EQ’d and added a touch of reverb and that’s it.

Last edited by midwinter; 01-22-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I took a minute to pull up the session in Logic and take a screenshot. It's really dead simple. A little compression on the mic for when we get loud. Valhalla reverb on the "ambience" setting dialed back to I think about a 2 second decay. Everything else is a HPF (probably at ~80hz), subtractive EQ, and then the Izotope Ozone for "mastering" (i.e. getting it a little louder). I grabbed the Izotope package on their black Friday sale and haven't really had much chance to play with it, so this is the first time really using it. It seems pretty cool.

Here's the entire session, really (if someone wants to tell me how to get it to embed, I'd appreciate it):

On normal recordings I'd do all of the "mastering" stuff pretty differently, but since this was just one track with one mic and I was on the road without access to to my interface/outboard/plugins, I did it all in one session.

Last edited by midwinter; 01-26-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 PM

I love it! That's such a great song, and you guys do it so well! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I love it! That's such a great song, and you guys do it so well! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! We love love this tune!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I took a minute to pull up the session in Logic and take a screenshot. It's really dead simple. A little compression on the mic for when we get loud. Valhalla reverb on the "ambience" setting dialed back to I think about a 2 second decay. Everything else is a HPF (probably at ~80hz), subtractive EQ, and then the Izotope Ozone for "mastering" (i.e. getting it a little louder). I grabbed the Izotope package on their black Friday sale and haven't really had much chance to play with it, so this is the first time really using it. It seems pretty cool.

Here's the entire session, really (if someone wants to tell me how to get it to embed, I'd appreciate it):

https://imgur.com/a/NBLi8Gq

On normal recordings I'd do all of the "mastering" stuff pretty differently, but since this was just one track with one mic and I was on the road without access to to my interface/outboard/plugins, I did it all in one session.
Don't have Ozone 9 but have been using 8 for some time (upgraded from 5). They probably have an "assistant" that lets you target the LUFS you want?

In 8, once I have the mix (either bounced non-lossy or bounced in place in a new alternative often for this "pseudo-master"), I just use that and pick the -14dB LUFS (stream) target in the assistant. You can pick a representative sample while it tries to establish stuff and then bounce and measure to see if it's Ok, or set it on "Learn" and have it run the entire time the track(s) play, if the piece is short enough and you have the time. That gives you a good level for YT video, too.

I use the tonal balance too if you have that. Just a sanity check if you've spent too many hours with the headphones on...
Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 PM

Thumbs up

beautiful tune... beautiful singing... beautiful setting.
I don't even mind the ambient noises picked up by the mic it all works together so nicely.
thanks for sharing
Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 AM

Excellent. Mind you, in a location like THAT I would imagine it's easy to be inspired! lol Well done to all.

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Don't have Ozone 9 but have been using 8 for some time (upgraded from 5). They probably have an "assistant" that lets you target the LUFS you want?

In 8, once I have the mix (either bounced non-lossy or bounced in place in a new alternative often for this "pseudo-master"), I just use that and pick the -14dB LUFS (stream) target in the assistant. You can pick a representative sample while it tries to establish stuff and then bounce and measure to see if it's Ok, or set it on "Learn" and have it run the entire time the track(s) play, if the piece is short enough and you have the time. That gives you a good level for YT video, too.

I use the tonal balance too if you have that. Just a sanity check if you've spent too many hours with the headphones on...

Exactly. It’s pretty neat. Normally I’d mix it, bounce it, and set up a mastering session with a Pultec plugin and something like Fabfilter Pro-L to get it to -14 Lufs but all I had on my laptop was the new Izotope, so I used this as a chance to take it for a spin. Very slick!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11lko View Post
Excellent. Mind you, in a location like THAT I would imagine it's easy to be inspired! lol Well done to all.

Thanks! And yes. It was easy to get inspired down there!
Old 01-23-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectedout View Post
beautiful tune... beautiful singing... beautiful setting.

I don't even mind the ambient noises picked up by the mic it all works together so nicely.

thanks for sharing

Thanks! We had to make decisions about how much of the ocean we wanted to get into the audio. We thought it was just right!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell