The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-18-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Spoiled by carbon fiber and other Saturday morning musings about my RainSong guitars

The short, summarized version: I've been playing and gigging my custom 12 fret RainSong guitars SO much the past year that I've become really used to (and therefore take for granted) the overall stability and wonder that is the carbon fiber platform. So now when I do grab my all wood guitar off the wall (currently an IRIS DF) I pretty quickly go back to the RainSong because I find that the DF has always drifted out of tune due to the temperature fluctuations in the house. I'd forgotten about that since I was without an all-wood guitar for several months. And then if I'm playing anything upbeat that requires aggressive strumming with a pick, I also find myself craving that rock-solid CF material that is impervious to banging out those songs. In short, I've grown very accustomed (once again) - spoiled, you might say - by the wonder that is a carbon fiber guitar.

The long, rambling version: Those here that know me (the AGF CF 'regulars') know I tend to rotate through guitars fairly regularly. At least, I used to. Retirement has slowed that way down. That and finally reaching a place where I pretty much know what I want and need in a guitar. But getting to that point saw a semi-regular complete changeover in my small guitar 'stable' which is usually no more than 3 guitars - two for gigging (primary and backup) and one for 'fun'. These complete changeovers would almost always occur shortly after I made some sort of post in the General section confidently stating that I had attained the perfect lineup of guitars and would no long be looking for anything new!

Looking back I can think of several of these 'perfect guitar lineups'. Sometimes it would be three different guitars (different builders) that ticked specific boxes like performance, travel and luxury. Sometimes they would be all wood. Sometimes they would be a combination of wood and carbon fiber. Sometimes they would be all the same builder (but different models) in wood or carbon fiber. For instance I once owned three Emerald custom woody guitars at the same time. Shortly after that I found myself owning three Cole Clark guitars at the same time. Those were great guitars that amplified incredibly well which these days is my primary criteria since now that we are retired, gigging is our side-hustle and the thing we love and do the most.

I eventually found myself with a hankering for the carefree stability and ease of carbon fiber and found my way back via RainSong guitars which I'd owned in the past, well before the Emeralds. I really like the LR Baggs StagePro pickup systems RainSong uses which while not as great sounding as the Cole Clark proprietary 3-way systems (not much does) is still the best of anything I've found in any carbon fiber guitar. Certainly better than anything Emerald currently offers that works as well for me. In fact, Emerald's lack of pickup options that appeal to me is why I no longer own one. This is a bit sad because there was a time when Emerald actually offered the StagePro. I'm not sure why they got away from it and I hope (sort of) they go back to offering it someday.

Anyway, I eventually found myself with two wonderful RainSong's - a custom short scale Black Ice dread which has become my primary gigging guitar and a custom Nashville OM Shorty which is my gigging backup and travel guitar. I also wanted something all-wood and high-end just to have something different. I owned a gorgeous Froggy Bottom H12 Deluxe which was my retirement dream guitar for about a year and a half but it was just a bit TOO nice and I didn't like having that much money tied up in a guitar that I was only willing to play at home. I eventually sold it off with the plan being to bank half the proceeds and then buy something for under $3k that would fill that desire for an all wood guitar that was nice but not so nice that I wouldn't want to take it out and play it live.

After looking a long time, I recently picked up a nice IRIS DF custom in sinker mahogany. It's a really great looking guitar that sounds fantastic. IRIS makes a wonderful sounding guitar for the price. This DF is currently for sale (or trade) in the classifieds only because the 14-fret scale combined with the big, slope dread body places the neck at an uncomfortable position for my aging and painful left shoulder. So I'm hoping to trade it for another IRIS that is a 12 fret (like a DF Smeck) or something with a smaller body (like the OG). Part of this reason is that I've just become SO used to the 12 fret scales on both my RainSong guitars and find them to be extremely comfortable to play.

Eventually I'll likely find something all wood with a pickup that I like, looks cool, sounds great and isn't so high end or pristine that I don't mind taking it out to the occasional open mic or whatever. But I also sometimes think that if I run into another custom short scale RainSong that is different enough from the two that I have (maybe a WS Vintage model) then I also might just grab that and once again be back to an all carbon fiber line up. Who knows? Maybe Emerald will come to their senses and start offering the LR Baggs StagePro system again! I sort of hope they don't because that would really get an itch going for me to jump onto that cool 3D model builder on the Emerald website and start jonesing for another gorgeous custom woody X20!!

It's really nice not to fret about humidity and temperature changes or damage. In the past couple of weeks I've banged my Black Ice dread HARD with the strap lock on one end of my guitar strap TWICE. I didn't even bother to look at it until I got home and there was just a little scuff mark. On a wood guitar, that would been a dent bordering on a hole! I hit it that hard. It's also been great to pick up a guitar at home or at a gig after a significant temperature or humidity change, find the guitar is still in tune and then slam into a rocking version of 'Jailhouse Rock' with aggressive strumming with no fear or worry about what I'm doing to a delicate, all-wood guitar. Ahhh, carbon fiber. You spoil me so!

Wow, once again I have waxed on prolifically for way too long. I think I should probably go back up to the top and do a short, summarized version! For those that did wade through the long version, thanks for taking the time!!
Old 02-18-2023, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

All I can say is: Wood is Good but Carbon is so much More Organic.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-18-2023, 04:10 PM

You captured my guitar journey almost exactly... Went through my Guild, Ovation, Martin, Taylor phases, and because of traveling started with a CA Cargo. Little did I know that would start a 10+ year journey through CF starting with CA, Emerald, Blackbird (both CF and Ekoa), and Rainsong in various sizes in all these brands. So approaching retirement I have started prioritizing and focusing and started my search for the "one" :-). This lead me finally to the McPherson Touring and have not looked back. All I need and serves me well at home, church, and outdoor activities. Love checking in with everyone's journeys but have not had GAS in a while.... though the Emerald designs are amazing eye candy. Wish everyone the same fun journey!
Old 02-22-2023, 09:30 PM

Great article Methos! I too have found the 12 fret smaller bodied guitars much more comfortable to play. Mine is a Rainsong Shorty. Also had a much too expensive wood guitar that I was way too worried about (Breedlove) and so I sold it. Bought the Rainsong in 2015 and haven’t looked back.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

I love my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret. Sounds and plays great, only big changes in temperature affect the tuning, and even then just on a couple of strings. Is very sensitive to the lightest touch, and even though it has the lowest action of any of my acoustics, can be strummed super hard with lots of volume.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-26-2023, 12:59 PM

I'm loving the Rain song OM that I bought from you. Have taken it to heat and frost and play the heck out of it. Saving up for a wood top OM or maybe the WS. I love the electronics too.

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber