The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
It really depends on your purpose for recording. Is it just for you, to capture the moment? Is it something you are going to share? How widely?

Finally, does it have to be done in one take?

I was recently collaborating on a project and just. couldn't. nail. the. part. I was frustrated. There was always something I didn't like. But finally, I realized, I can do it over as many times as I need. In as small a chunk as I need. Digital recording is great that way. So, I went back and pieced it together. Sometimes I would punch in to fix just one or two notes at a time. Other times, I would grab a good section of take, and just fly it in (copy/paste) to wherever else it needed to go that wasn't quite as good. Comping it together in the end took some work, but I had a "perfect take" when I was finished. Something I could share and be satisfied with. No one but me needed to know it was pieced together.

Recently here there was a thread noting that even in the old tape days, with amazing artists and recordings we have all heard, they did it that way. So no need for me to feel bad, if that's what the pros do.

You might feel differently (and if it's for video, you have fewer options and maybe have to learn to settle with certain mistakes), but it works for me.
I piece things together too almost always. I'll do the intro a few times, then break the tune down into sections, sometimes small parts, sometimes long. Whatever it is I'm recording I will always shut the inside front door so that our mini schnauzer can't look through the screen door and warn us that a squirrel is trying to tip-toe across our front lawn,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No need to apologize. I'm pretty sure nobody else listens to more than the first fifteen seconds of anything. To test this theory I posted a song where, about a minute in, I edited in a dirty joke from a Flip Wilson "party record" and nobody noticed.
****must resist listening to everything Brent has posted here to find the dirty joke****

I have listened to your soundcloud stuff.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
****must resist listening to everything Brent has posted here to find the dirty joke****

I have listened to your soundcloud stuff.
It was quite a while ago, and it was a link to Soundcloud (since AGF won't let you upload directly.) I only left it that way for a couple weeks.

Couch Standards
Old 10-02-2019, 10:07 PM

Well recording is the only way to hear a lot of things I want to hear and stuff that I've written, because they're based on multiple parts not all played at the same time. The outside audience for some of the resulting pieces is smallish, but I like that audience.

I'll have to agree with those up-thread who say that some of us never get to like hearing our own voice, and with my own voice there are objective issues with it (or rather my control and use of it). On the other hand, I actually like some of the ideas I'm able to express with my instruments, and I sometimes listen to an older piece and marvel that I was able to come up with and play that.

One of the odd things I find with recording, is that that takes I think are good while I'm playing aren't always the best or most interesting, and sometimes that ones I think are so-so show ideas on playback that some part of my mind was creating while another part was thinking "I don't know if I'm dealing with this well."

In the past month or so I've had to remind myself the opposite: sometimes it's good to "just play." That's a different mind set, and I realize how someone could fall into love with the "live" approach to music and care less for the creation of "frozen" objects. We do both with instruments and our musical selves, but they are different experiences.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-03-2019, 05:16 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Have you heard about the shoemaker's children? They have no shoes.

Motivation is a funny thing. I spend my life recording. I'm "passionate" about it. I love to record music. I'm a professional. I work in a state-of-the-art recording studio. But after a week of recording for other people I do find it hard to get around to working on my own projects. This has stretched on into years and decades at this point.

Funny, huh?

If we have much discernment, we are our own worst critics. Forgive yourself for who you are and what level you are on and allow yourself to try. Do your best and be content in your efforts.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

I am planning to get back into recording after years of down time. I have a different mindset then I had before. I know my purpose, my goal and the basic outline on how. I have enough material to last a lifetime. And that's before I start writing again. I'm in the middle of a project now so it'll be several months anyway. I'm in the middle of a deep dive into 1920s jazz song structures. Remember it's all fun and entertainment, right?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I need to spend serious time thinking about why I am recording and what my goals are. I feel it boils down to asking myself "who am I making these recordings for, me or others?"

Thanks for your input and kind words guys.
Yes, those are valid questions that everyone must ask themselves. As already stated, hardly anyone buys albums/CDs any longer. You can post your songs online, share the links and get some listens and "atta boys" from friends/family and after a while, you do question things.
For me, its that one comment form someone on a song like 'this is the best production I've ever heard from you' or 'I play this song every day' (yes, I've had those) that make it worthwhile for me to continue. If I can touch one heart/mind with a song, then I am motivated to continue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

"Why do I record ?" is certainly a legitimate question. And one I have asked myself occasionally, But so far the answer always comes back "Because It is something I like to do " so at the very least it is a personal hobby that I find rewarding, and that alone keeps my in the game .

So I would say if ? it is not something that you find interesting and rewarding to for its own sake ,,,, then it is very valid to question if it is something you should continue to do.

Or put another way, if you are recording to facilitate something other thing , than "just for enjoyment of doing it "... then I suppose one needs to sit down, and try calculate benefit vs time spent. Because like playing guitar is something that really only improves with "time spent" Lots of time.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Stick with it. I think it only SEEMS HORRIBLE to you, I bet. listening to yourself can be an ugly experience. I was ready to sell everything, but I kept at it. The more you record the more you get accustomed the hearing yourself. In awhile you get to the point that you will be able to listen to yourself and even begin to use your recording to improve even more. Soon you will begin to think that perhaps it does not sound as bad as you thought. Next thing you know you will listen to something you have done and be thinking it’s not really bad....then you will be looking for gigs and wanting to sell music that you made. Haha.
Sometimes you figure out that you can sound fine. I used to think everyone was lying to me. After a few gigs with many folks asking to turn up the vocals, and then telling you that now it sounds much better....you will be there. Making any music is special. And you are doing it. Keep on....
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"Why do I record ?" is certainly a legitimate question. And one I have asked myself occasionally, But so far the answer always comes back "Because It is something I like to do " so at the very least it is a personal hobby that I find rewarding, and that alone keeps my in the game .

So I would say if ? it is not something that you find interesting and rewarding to for its own sake ,,,, then it is very valid to question if it is something you should continue to do.

Or put another way, if you are recording to facilitate something other thing , than "just for enjoyment of doing it "... then I suppose one needs to sit down, and try calculate benefit vs time spent. Because like playing guitar is something that really only improves with "time spent" Lots of time.
I agree; there doesn't have to be a reason if it's a hobby that you enjoy doing. The joy, fun, interest, fulfillment, whatever, is the justification. And if it's primarily a hobby, be careful not to set expectations too high; I find I don't want my hobby to have job-like objectives.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-04-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
... if it's primarily a hobby, be careful not to set expectations too high; I find I don't want my hobby to have job-like objectives.
Really interesting notion. If you want to see a mix of various outlooks on that subject, drop in on an LA open mic.

Couch Standards
Old 10-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Really interesting notion. If you want to see a mix of various outlooks on that subject, drop in on an LA open mic.
For me I guess it depends on whether we are talking about expectations or goals.
And I don't think it matters hobby or pro.

I set my goals high, but try to keep my expectations realistic. Even 16 years into it (as a hobby and definitely part time) and even with some pretty decent pro level gear, I don't "expect" my recording to sound like a pro's recording done on pro gear with 20-30 years of full time experience (although that is the goal) but then again it is the "goal" that keeps me interested

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-04-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

The innovations in software keeps me interested. I'm absolutely amazed at what we can do now inside a DAW and what some plugins are capable of doing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I set my goals high, but try to keep my expectations realistic. Even 16 years into it (as a hobby and definitely part time) and even with some pretty decent pro level gear, I don't "expect" my recording to sound like a pro's recording done on pro gear with 20-30 years of full time experience (although that is the goal) but then again it is the "goal" that keeps me interested
I have nowhere near 16 years experience with my home recording studio but in the few years it's been up and running I've been aiming to not only match but surpass what "pro studios" produced for me. Time and time again in the past it seemed that the pro studio guys understood how to record electric guitars but not acoustic guitars and I'm a diehard (old school) acoustic guitar player. The process has been frustrating at times and I certainly am not yet where I want to be. Despite the set-backs I've come to really enjoy the learning curve and appreciate that the journey is its own reward. And, like KevWind, the goal keeps me motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The innovations in software keeps me interested. I'm absolutely amazed at what we can do now inside a DAW and what some plugins are capable of doing.
I couldn't agree more! Just recently, however; the Mies van der Rohe notion that less is more in architecture has been gaining ground for me with regard to audio recording. I'm back to experimenting with mic placement and performance adjustments to get takes that require less post recording processing. Nevertheless, like jim1960, I'm still amazed at what plugins can do.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You can post your songs online, share the links and get some listens and "atta boys" from friends/family and after a while, you do question things......
I'm glad you said this. I've been questioning what I'm doing lately and my answer has always been to myself "its your hobby" which I guess is a good enough answer.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD