The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM

Default Zoom H2 experts, help??

Hey,
Was wondering if anyone who knows their way around the H2 can help me out. Im looking to record myself (vocal) with an acoustic guitar. Just want to sit down and record songs. What settings should I use? Where do you place it to get the best recording? THank you!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Higher res mp3 (192k is good and still gives relatively manageable file sizes) or if you really want hi fidelity, record in wav format and convert to mp3 later.

12 inches away pointed at the area where the neck meets the body will give you a good balanced sound - if you are recording playing and singing, i would try on a mic stand maybe 24 inches from youre mouth and at the same height as your head for starters - that should give you both voice and guitar blended but with a little weight on the voice.

Do spend a little time with the manual - it will definitely pay you back. It's a great little recorder!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone who knows their way around the H2 can help me out. Im looking to record myself (vocal) with an acoustic guitar. Just want to sit down and record songs. What settings should I use? Where do you place it to get the best recording? THank you!
Hey 310...
This pertains to both my H4 or my H2...

I mount the recorder on a camera tripod above head level of the player about 30'' out from them, aimed down and to the fingerboard side, angled about half-way between the mouth and top bout of the guitar...aimed specifically at neck/body joint.

Lyrics when taped to the tripod, and the player looking at his/her hands keep the singer/player where I want them for recording. I plug in some decent ear buds to hear the balance, and then depending on the singer set the input level to either M(edium) or H(igh)

Here's a picture of a recording being done that way…

Here is the recording he made that day…

Greg's retirement - Click

He was retiring after 26 years in the military, and is a rather soft picker who then really leans into it when he strums (nails for strum). There is no distortion on the original - that came from SoundClick downsampling the file to 128kbps…

Here's another he made for his daughter's wedding…H4 same setup…he is capoed 'way up there'…Martin D-41 with anything but fresh strings…

Wedding - CliCK

I record in full .wav when it's for editing and reproduction, and 192kbps mp3 the rest of the time.

I edit volumes, and trim the ends, and add light effects in Amadeus Pro…

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 01-17-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: bad html code BAD BAD
Old 01-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Very nice recordings! I'm so impressed by the sound quality from these little gadgets.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM

Default yeh

Just use the default settings, put it on a table in front of you and hit record. Thats it!
Enjoy it, I love it to death!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 AM

Thank you!!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Just use the default settings, put it on a table in front of you and hit record. Thats it!
Enjoy it, I love it to death!
Hi Davis...
The danger of turning a unit on and hitting record is that not every unit arrives from the factory with manual/external switches preset properly...

I have friends and students who don't even realize they can affect the input volume...which on the original Zooms was a slider with L-M-H detents and now is a rotating knob.

I do agree that it is ok to try it out of the box with defaults and then once a person understands how to arm and activate the record function, then look at the format, mic patterns etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD