The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 05:42 AM

Sorry for your troubles. I think the idea to check out online fingerpicking sources is a good one.

You could start by tuning the guitar to a chord - maybe E or Em, that would only involve tuning a couple of strings (which I imagine might be a bit of a chore with one hand).

Thumb = p
Index finger =i
Middle finger =m
Ring finger = a

I'd start with a very even p i m a, with your thumb on the low E string and your fingers on the three highest strings (i on the 3rd, m on the 2nd, a on the 1st). Start slow and work up some speed. Keep the back of your hand steady and move the fingers, don't bounce the whole hand up and down.

You won't be able to do that too long because it will be boring. When it gets easy I'd start alternating the thumb between the 6th and 5th strings. I'd keep the fingers on the top three strings for quite a while.

That should get you started. Good luck with PT, which is always a party, but always a good idea.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion