The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 10:33 AM

I like the idea of taking photos beforehand, before handing it off to a luthier. Can seem like overkill but otherwise its only 'he said, she said' and you have no authority to ask for a refund or to have them remove the marks, if possible.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-25-2021, 10:34 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Cajun View Post
Recently had my guitar worked on. I know it was plek’d and not sure what other adjustments were made but after I got it home, I noticed some semi-circular scars on the sides of the headstock, just about level with the tuning pegs. They’re obviously cosmetic, but I’m 99% certain these weren’t there when I left the guitar with them. Can anyone identify what would have made these marks? Seen anything similar before? I’m pretty peeved as it’s a very new guitar. Just want to have some idea of what could’ve caused this before I go back in and ask them about it.
Thanks for posting links to the pictures. I agree with everyone else as to what the cause is - and I would take it back to hold the guitar repair person accountable. Also, I would be hesitant to call this individual (or shop) a "luthier" unless they are actively building instruments.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-25-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Here is a closeup... definitely looks like a winder mark, but it looks more like an actual indentation and not just a blemish on the finish.
Shot in the dark, but based on that photo with the colors and the tuners, I'm guessing that's a Martin Streetmaster....right? Which is an intentionally weathered and beat up guitar in its brand new state...I'd consider this scar even less of an issue than I already did before knowing that guitar it was on.

Am I right on the model?
Old 10-25-2021, 10:40 AM

That is inexcusable in my opinion. Very careless treatment of a customer’s guitar.

Not sure what I’d do other than taking the guitar in and showing the repair person (and then finding another repair person).

Rb
Old 10-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is a closeup... definitely looks like a winder mark, but it looks more like an actual indentation and not just a blemish on the finish.
That was my impression as well. I'd be going back to the tech. Looks like there is some white residue in the mark on the b string tuner. Might ask what color their winder is.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, those do look like string winder marks. While those marks can be made with hand winders, I think it’s more likely they were made with a power winder. I guess all you can do is present the condition and your claim to the people who worked on your guitar and hope they make it acceptable to you. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

You don’t want a power tool around any guitar let alone an acoustic. There’s a reason why fender tells you to only use a plain Jane screw driver when working on their electrics.
Old 10-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
You don’t want a power tool around any guitar let alone an acoustic. There’s a reason why fender tells you to only use a plain Jane screw driver when working on their electrics.
Make sure you get the end of that screwdriver real hot when soldering the electronics.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:10 PM

Default Headstock damage… by luthier?

Quote:

Yes, it’s an actual indentation in the wood, not just superficial finish damage.

And yes (to gr81dorn) this is a Martin DSS-15M Streetmaster. While I see your point about this being an intentionally vintaged instrument, it doesn’t make the incident any less egregious.

Last edited by NOLA Cajun; 10-25-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And yes (to gr81dorn) this is a Martin DSS-15M Streetmaster. While so see your point about this being an intentionally vintages instrument, it doesn’t make the incident any less egregious.
Yeah, i didn't mean to insinuate that it was acceptable to have it happened, more that it would be less noticeable and/or devaluing of an instrument that is beat-up on purpose. It fits the motif so it's not as distracting or awful as it may be on a pristine, glossy instrument, regardless of value.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:46 PM

It’s a distressed guitar that now has some real life distressing. Not something I’d lose much sleep over.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

I have marks in the finish on the headstock of my guitars from my electric string winder because I'm not particularly careful, but even I can't put them into the wood like that. That is a major lack of attention.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-25-2021, 02:50 PM

Oof that definitely looks like a power winder of some sort, and to make it worse, poor use of one. I have a peg winder attachment that I use with a cordless drill. If I'm at 90 degree to the headstock, meaning I have the tuner properly situated in it, it never gets closer to 1/4" from the headstock side, so in normal tuning work I couldn't ever cause that damage. But if I greatly skew it (so lets say your headstock is lying flat on it's back on a work bench and then you hold the cordless screwdriver at an angle where it starts to almost point to the ceiling...then it gets pretty close (but mine still doesn't touch the headstock, but gets maybe 1/16" away from it). So to me this could be caused by carelessness due to being in a hurry, if I had to guess.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-25-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

When someone else dings your guitar, it sucks. When you ding your own, it sucks. Point is, dings always suck but as it is purely cosmetic, you're lucky.

Regarding the future, I would not have that specific place touch another one of my instruments if I were in your shoes.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:54 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Yeah, i didn't mean to insinuate that it was acceptable to have it happened, more that it would be less noticeable and/or devaluing of an instrument that is beat-up on purpose. It fits the motif so it's not as distracting or awful as it may be on a pristine, glossy instrument, regardless of value.
Just to be clear - Streetmaster is just a spray-on finish. There is no actual relicing, as in cracks, chips, dents, etc. in the wood. It’s not the “beat-up on purpose” look most imagine when thinking “relic.” Still, I get your point. Damage to this kind of faux relic finish isn’t as noticeable as it would be on a pristine gloss finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion