The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-23-2021, 11:21 AM

Default Guns N' Roses $50M US tour

Guns N' Roses just completed their US leg of their tour and grossed $50M. Looks like the US tour started on July 31 and ended on Oct 3. They're now playing outside the country.

It's great that they're back together again. I saw them live in 1988 when they opened for Iron Maiden and before anyone knew who they were. It was a few months before Sweet Child 'o Mine became a hit.

Anyone a fan of G'nR throughout their career? I never thought Rose and Slash would come back together again.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Guns N' Roses just completed their US leg of their tour and grossed $50M. Looks like the US tour started on July 31 and ended on Oct 3. They're now playing outside the country.

It's great that they're back together again. I saw them live in 1988 when they opened for Iron Maiden and before anyone knew who they were. It was a few months before Sweet Child 'o Mine became a hit.

Anyone a fan of G'nR throughout their career? I never thought Rose and Slash would come back together again.

Lifelong fan. Saw them live in 2018 when they came to Hawaii. They put up a great show.

https://youtu.be/n7hKfRMdgKY
Old 10-23-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Lifelong fan. Saw them live in 2018 when they came to Hawaii. They put up a great show.

https://youtu.be/n7hKfRMdgKY
Wow, you took that video yourself? I listened to some of Slash's solo and it was clear, loud, and great tone. Estranged was one of my favorite songs from the "blue" album, which was the one that I bought when it came out. Amazing that G'nR release two albums on the same day and they were #1 and #2 on the charts that week.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Wow, you took that video yourself? I listened to some of Slash's solo and it was clear, loud, and great tone. Estranged was one of my favorite songs from the "blue" album, which was the one that I bought when it came out. Amazing that G'nR release two albums on the same day and they were #1 and #2 on the charts that week.

Yeah it took that video from the nosebleeds. [emoji23] it’s definitely top 5 of their whole catalog for me. It was a great show with great sound in a stadium. I had a great time.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah it took that video from the nosebleeds. [emoji23] it’s definitely top 5 of their whole catalog for me. It was a great show with great sound in a stadium. I had a great time.
I saw a news feed yesterday about a new Slash/Miles Kennedy song. Found the video on YouTube. Sounds great and reminds me of old G'nR. Worth a listen.

Back in high school, when Sweet Child 'o Mine came out, my band did a 17 minute version of it at one of our jams. No vocals and lots of solos lol. I still have that recording (using a basic tape recorder). Years ago I moved it from cassette to digital. In the middle of the song it slowed down because the drummer got tired but then it picked up speed again. Ah, the good old high school days.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I saw a news feed yesterday about a new Slash/Miles Kennedy song. Found the video on YouTube. Sounds great and reminds me of old G'nR. Worth a listen.

Back in high school, when Sweet Child 'o Mine came out, my band did a 17 minute version of it at one of our jams. No vocals and lots of solos lol. I still have that recording (using a basic tape recorder). Years ago I moved it from cassette to digital. In the middle of the song it slowed down because the drummer got tired but then it picked up speed again. Ah, the good old high school days.

I’d love to hear it! I’ll check out that slash and miles song for sure!

Fan favorite from that same concert.

https://youtu.be/IyN3Z2arGCo
Old 10-23-2021, 08:49 PM

Huge G N’ R fan. Appetite for Destruction came out when I was in the 7th grade, and it is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Use Your Illusion came when I was in the 10th grade, and it was probably the most anticipated album release of my life. That fall (1991, 25 years ago now) was amazing, UYI by G N’ R, Blood Sugar Sex Magic by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ten by Pearl Jam, and, of course, Nirvana, Nevermind.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Huge G N’ R fan. Appetite for Destruction came out when I was in the 7th grade, and it is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Use Your Illusion came when I was in the 10th grade, and it was probably the most anticipated album release of my life. That fall (1991, 25 years ago now) was amazing, UYI by G N’ R, Blood Sugar Sex Magic by The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ten by Pearl Jam, and, of course, Nirvana, Nevermind.

1991 was probably the best year for music of my generation. Don’t forget Metallica Black album was also released in 1991, right in the middle of the Seattle invasion. But I do remember the anticipation of the double GnR album after the widely misunderstood Lies album, which most people only remember Patience off it.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
I’d love to hear it! I’ll check out that slash and miles song for sure!

Fan favorite from that same concert.

https://youtu.be/IyN3Z2arGCo
November Rain, fantastic song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
G'nR and Metallica held things together as grunge moved in. Same with Megadeth a year later in 1992 with Countdown to Extinction. Iron Maiden (my favorite band) didn't do well in the 90s.

Hard to believe that G'nR really only had three albums; Appetite, G N' R Lies, and Use Your Illusions (which is really a double album). The Spaghetti Incident was a bunch of punk covers and didn't do well and Chinese Democracy... well, that was a disaster that took a decade to complete and didn't include Slash.

Now is the time to strike with a new album because they're hot. They've released a couple of tunes already reworked from Chinese Democracy.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
November Rain, fantastic song.

G'nR and Metallica held things together as grunge moved in. Same with Megadeth a year later in 1992 with Countdown to Extinction. Iron Maiden (my favorite band) didn't do well in the 90s.
Gorgeous solo on November Rain!

That Metallica 'Black' album was a monster - probably the best album as a whole they ever did and will do, even though "Master.." and "Justice..." have some of my favourite songs on. It was all slightly different in the UK as at the time that grunge was ruling the US, we had the Britpop thing: Oasis, Blur, Kula Shaker, Ocean Colour Scene etc who took their influences from the 60s. I was never into Nirvana (the greatest hits album is sufficient for me), but loved Pearl Jam's first albums along with those by Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins. We had our own mini-grungey thing too though, spearheaded by the Manic Street Preachers, who were more focused on punk. As you say, shame the Irons dipped a bit in the 90s, when they had rules the previous decade.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Gorgeous solo on November Rain!

That Metallica 'Black' album was a monster - probably the best album as a whole they ever did and will do, even though "Master.." and "Justice..." have some of my favourite songs on. It was all slightly different in the UK as at the time that grunge was ruling the US, we had the Britpop thing: Oasis, Blur, Kula Shaker, Ocean Colour Scene etc who took their influences from the 60s. I was never into Nirvana (the greatest hits album is sufficient for me), but loved Pearl Jam's first albums along with those by Soundgarden and the Smashing Pumpkins. We had our own mini-grungey thing too though, spearheaded by the Manic Street Preachers, who were more focused on punk. As you say, shame the Irons dipped a bit in the 90s, when they had rules the previous decade.
Maiden came back strong in 2000 with the reunion lineup which remains to this day. Their new album Senjutsu came out last month and is a great one. I actually liked the Blaze Bayley years although many consider those two albums as the worst in the catalog.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Maiden came back strong in 2000 with the reunion lineup which remains to this day. Their new album Senjutsu came out last month and is a great one. I actually liked the Blaze Bayley years although many consider those two albums as the worst in the catalog.

Senjutsu is actually great. I added to to my list not expecting much, but it’s a solid Maiden album.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:17 PM

With you on the new album - especially like 'Days Of Future Past' and 'Death Of The Celts', which are both vintage Maiden, which will sound great live.
Old 10-25-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Senjutsu is actually great. I added to to my list not expecting much, but it’s a solid Maiden album.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
With you on the new album - especially like 'Days Of Future Past' and 'Death Of The Celts', which are both vintage Maiden, which will sound great live.
Hey Guys, great to find some Maiden fans here! I'm really impressed with side 2 and those long songs, especially The Parchment and Hell on Earth. That's 24 minutes right there.

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray are the reason why I picked up the guitar back in the mid/late 80s. Those amazing harmony solos. Adrian is my all time favorite and once again he shines on this album.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 AM

Axyl Rose’s voice = screeching chalk on a chalkboard.
YMMV of course.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic