The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-07-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Using CDBaby and similar

For anyone that has created an album and used CDBaby or a similar service, what are the specifics I would need to know. I have read their tutorials but I'm still not sure. I would assume I would need to upload .WAV files for each track. Do you also need DDP files? Is there a specific file quality (44.1Khz/16BIT?) or any specific mixing/mastering guidelines I should consider?
Old 10-07-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I have used CD baby for making some CDs, three different projects for solo piano albums.

You upload wave files 44.1 khz/16 bit, as you noted. They have a service for mastering but you can simply upload what you want if you are satisfied with your results.

I also downloaded files for doing artwork. I did the artwork for the CD wallet in PhotoShop. After I was done with the artwork, I uploaded PDF files for printing the CD wallet. I don't remember any need for a DDP file.

For runs of less than 300 CDs, they will use CDRs. For 300 or more, if I am remembering correctly, they make replicated CDs. I have had some problem with CDRs playing on some portable CD players, particularly older Bose players. On each of the three projects I did, I ordered 300 CDs. I ended up with CDRs, however, on re-orders where I wanted only 100-200 additional CDs. That's where I ran into some CD players, generally older ones, not being able to play the CDRs. I solved that problem by buying high quality CDR discs myself, making new copies, printing the artwork on the CDR (white coating on the discs), and then using the original CD wallet. The CDR discs I made always worked, so apparently the quality of what I was buying was better than whatever CD Baby was using. They would never respond to these issues about the CDRs not playing on some customer's players. All in all, however, I was satisfied with working with CD Baby. Out of the 200 CDRs I would get on re-order, I might have 3-5 customers where the CDRs would not play on their players.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 10-07-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Over the years I have put together five CDs (my tunes and my artwork) for CDBaby. However over the last couple of years they have changed their policies and focus. It's more about digital streaming. You can online upload your music (I'd use 16/44.1 wav files) to them and some artwork. They can distribute it to various streaming services. Prepare to be paid a small fraction of a cent per stream. I think you can still send them CDs but they won't market them to the public directly. I would not bother with physical CDs at this point.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-08-2021, 07:36 AM

Just prepping for my latest release through CDBaby

1) Yes, WAV 44.1/16 bit
2) Artwork - album cover/photo - this shows as a little icon in all the places that stream, so make sure your name and album title are on it!
3) Regular service vs 'Pro' - if you already have your (original) songs registered with BMI/ASCAP/SESAC, the Pro service doesn't give you anything extra, your royalties are already being collected. CDBaby takes care of the streaming royalties (per play) including youtube,etc.
4) Bar code/UPC - CDBaby charges an extra $20 for one. Use some place like Kunaki to print physical copies (CD-Rs) - you can order just 1 - to get a free barcode.
5) Don't use CDBaby (Discmakers) to do your CDs, if you are getting any made. There are much cheaper places around. I'm using Atomicdisc.com this time. Yes, CD-Rs may not play in older machines - not because they are CD-Rs, but because they were burned at a faster rate (x32 for example) than the CD player can read.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I used CDBaby for a cd but it was 20 years ago so nothing from that experience is likely to be relevant now. More recently, I have used them for streaming. It's a convenient one-stop shop for getting your music on a variety of services, however, I believe CDBaby still requires 44.1/16 and some services are now accepting higher resolutions so it may be worth it to look for other companies offering the same or similar service.

This article might be helpful...
The Mastering Guide to Audio Formats and Delivery Mediums

As for physical cds in 2021, they're a hard sell unless you're playing gigs where you're allowed to set up a merch table. For most people that get cds made now, the "million seller" joke applies...
Friend: How are your cds selling?
Musician: It's a million seller!
Friend: Really???
Musician: Yeah. I have a million of 'em in my cellar.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Over the years I have put together five CDs (my tunes and my artwork) for CDBaby. However over the last couple of years they have changed their policies and focus. It's more about digital streaming. You can online upload your music (I'd use 16/44.1 wav files) to them and some artwork. They can distribute it to various streaming services. Prepare to be paid a small fraction of a cent per stream. I think you can still send them CDs but they won't market them to the public directly. I would not bother with physical CDs at this point.
I've found the above info to be true.....put several albums with them a few years ago and this spring was surprised to find things had changed. If you're going to steam (only) in lieu of a physical CD, I've used Distrokid which is a source for handling your material to present on Spotify, Pandora, ITunes, etc. Our own Doug Young has used Distrokid and that's how I discovered it.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Our own Doug Young has used Distrokid and that's how I discovered it.
I've used a few, including CD Baby, and there are quite a few options. Distrokid has been good, simple, easy, and lets you upload higher quality tracks. They also handle cover tune licensing etc. Each of these services has slightly different business models, so it's worth looking at the cost for what you plan to do. Distrokid is an annual payment, for example, but then you can do as many releases as you want with no charge. Others are per-release charges, so it depends on what you plan to do, which is most effective.

CD Baby seems to have moved away from the physical CD model. I recently got an email saying they had far too many of mine in stock - they had 1! I was a tad embarrassed until social media lit up with many others reporting they'd gotten the same email, and were also being told that "1" was too many! So I think they're just not going to sell CDs anymore.

As far as formats, I've done mastering projects for a few people in the past year who used CD Baby, including Anton Emery and Luke Gaard both here on AGF. One person reported they wouldn't take a DDP file, while another said he used that successfully, so I'm not sure what the situation there is.

The last physical CD I did, a year or so ago, I used Discmakers, which I think is what CD Baby uses, so I just cut out the middle man.They took a DDP file.

The whole CD issue seems to have gone past the tipping point over the last year - not that we haven't seen it coming for a long time. Very few people want them. I saw a really cool band last weekend, and thought I'd buy a CD. I started toward the merch table until I remembered that I actually no longer have a CD player myself! (Well, I do, but it's in a box that I've have to unpack and connect to the computer.) So I'll go buy a download from bandcamp.

I did an event with another guitarist last month who has a huge catalog, and I was amused to see his merch table setup. He didn't put out any CDs, but he was selling things like jewelry made from his used guitar strings... He also had some thumb drives, and a few vinyl's, but no CDs.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

In the past, I looked heavily into the differences between CDBaby and Distrokid. I think they both offer great solutions, but it seemed, at the time at least, that CDBaby was more of a do it once and be done with it situation where Distrokid required a yearly payment or they would pull your songs. That's kind of why I am leaning toward CDBaby, but that may have changed.

Guys, I realize this is going to sound really stupid, and I know it's going to be expensive, but this album is more of a "hey, I made an album" situation than anything else. I sincerely know that nobody will want to buy it, but that's not really the point for me. I would prefer to order just enough CDs (that actually work!!!) to distribute to friends and family and to keep a few for myself. I would LOVE to make an actual vinyl copy or two as well. I had someone design the album cover as a Digipak and I like how it came out.

When I started recording music, I knew from the beginning it had one goal: To leave something of me behind for my children. This will be a nice way to do that, or at least I think it will.

So, for my purposes, I am looking at buying only a small number of CDs, maybe a vinyl or three, then just mostly doing it through distribution to Amazon, Youtube Music, Pandora, etc. So, given this information, what do you recommend?
Old 10-08-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I
So, for my purposes, I am looking at buying only a small number of CDs, maybe a vinyl or three, then just mostly doing it through distribution to Amazon, Youtube Music, Pandora, etc. So, given this information, what do you recommend?
Partly cost and time dependent I suppose. How small a batch of CDs can you pay
a commercial place to do?

Personally got the supplies needed and did CD-Rs myself. Sort of fun doing all the
details yourself but it will require some homework and take up some of your time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-08-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Yea I used CD Baby for my latest album back in March, which Doug mixed/mastered. I don't think I used a DDP with them, I just uploaded each .wav file.

CD Baby works fine, I only used them because my first cd is through them as well, and its easier to the piles of money and streams flowing in to one place.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Partly cost and time dependent I suppose. How small a batch of CDs can you pay
a commercial place to do?

Personally got the supplies needed and did CD-Rs myself. Sort of fun doing all the
details yourself but it will require some homework and take up some of your time.
This ^^^ would be my suggestion, as well.

Over the years I have made CD projects for a particular purpose or person. I did a jazz CD project for my dad's 80th and then again, his 82nd birthdays. I did another project for my first grand daughter when she turned 3 years old.

In all these cases I bought some high quality CDRs and made my own CDs. I bought jewel cases and printed my own artwork and inserts. It is so much cheaper and so much more convenient to print and duplicate only what you need. And the quality of what you will get will be no different from CD baby, maybe better. You can buy a CD printer for all the money you are going to save. I don't think CD Baby will do a project for less than 100 CDs.

The only time I would use a commercial company to make CDs is when I know I will be able to sell 300-500 CDs.

- Glenn
Old 10-10-2021, 07:12 PM

Few end users want CDs anymore.

You can go cheap and use blank white CD-Rs or pay a bit more for blank CD-Rs that have your art work printed on them already. If I wanted a small run of CDs to sell I'd probably go with Kunaki or a similar service.

Many of my friends just use Bandcamp and offer digital downloads, which many people want.

A few years back when I last went out to see live music the bands were offering "digital download" cards at their merchandising table. The cards were priced somewhere in the $8 range and provided a link to download their music and some media such as "liner notes" and such.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Atomicdisc.com - 50 (CD-R) is the minimum quantity. This is my first time using them, they seem to be easy to deal with, my CD is in production right now.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-12-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Atomicdisc.com - 50 (CD-R) is the minimum quantity. This is my first time using them, they seem to be easy to deal with, my CD is in production right now.
50 cds made for $95 is a very nice price. 20 years ago, the best price I could find was about $5 a pop and a 300 minimum.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-13-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
50 cds made for $95 is a very nice price. 20 years ago, the best price I could find was about $5 a pop and a 300 minimum.
300 CD minimum is usually for CDs, not CD-Rs. CD Replication vs CD Duplication. Not that that should make a difference these days. In the "old days" (i.e. 10 years ago), many CD players could not play CD-Rs, that's really not the case any longer.

Another inexpensive place to use for CD-Rs is Kunaki.com - you can get as few as you want, but they only offer jewel box cases, no digipacks.

I used to think CD Replication was needed because otherwise you can lose all the metadata, but that's not true. I know someone who had CDs done (guessing by Discmakers) and the metadata was incomplete/missing on many tracks.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD