The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 12:06 AM

Default Huss and Dalton TOM-m vs. OM custom.

Can any one out there tell me if they are voiced differently? There isn’t any info on there site describing the difference.

Bill
Old 10-27-2021, 12:14 AM

Why not call them, they are very friendly!
Old 10-27-2021, 09:28 AM

I plan on it, but sometime it’s nice to here what the hive has to say.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:33 AM

I don't think they use hog on the custom models so it will be different from the different wood pairings. At least the one's I've seen. I'd call them, I'm sure you'll get better answers than you will here.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 AM

Call or email, they've always gotten back to me, often pretty quickly! One big difference is the "T" designation in TOM-M which means it is in their traditional line. What's the difference? According to their site:
Quote:
Huss & Dalton guitars are based on two distinct blueprints. On all of our Standard Series models, we build a 25-foot radius into the guitar’s soundboard. We create the radius by sanding an arch into the braces, and also preparing the guitar’s sides with a matching radius to accept the soundboard. A positive by-product of the radiused soundboard design—other than its increased load-bearing capacity—is a boost in the mid-range, giving our guitars more perceptibly balanced tone than that of strictly traditional designs. Our Traditional Series guitars feature the same 25-foot-radiused braces, but the sides are left flat for a more traditional instrument build and tonal character, emphasizing the lower frequencies a bit more.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-27-2021, 09:58 AM

Ah…. Not sure how I missed that. I thought I read everything twice. Thanks.. I will call thought

Bill
Old 10-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I don't think they use hog on the custom models so it will be different from the different wood pairings. At least the one's I've seen. I'd call them, I'm sure you'll get better answers than you will here.

The second "M" in "TOM-M" stands for mahogany.... I have a custom TOM-M with sinker mahogany and have seen a few other similar mahogany customs with either sinker b&s or torrified tops or like mine with both.

-Seth
Old 10-27-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Default TOM - OM

Newbflat, I recently went on a similar quest and reached out to Mark Dalton last week, who informed me the radius top (standard models) vs flat top (traditional models) construction amounted to a negligible tone difference on the OM models, though it is discernible difference in tone on the Dread models. Good luck in your quest, check with AGF sponsor Larry at Organic Sound Select Guitars as he has an incoming TOM-M that might be a good fit for you.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:13 PM

Thanks powderfinger. I will contact Larry.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethW View Post
The second "M" in "TOM-M" stands for mahogany.... I have a custom TOM-M with sinker mahogany and have seen a few other similar mahogany customs with either sinker b&s or torrified tops or like mine with both.

-Seth
Mine is a TOM-R, sitka and rosewood. I was under the impression, although I could be wrong, that TOM-M = hog, TOM-R = rw and TOM-Custom = all other woods. I'm going to guess here, but sinker is in a different class than regular ol' Honduran mahogany, hence the custom moniker.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:38 PM

They make the TOM line but also an OM line, check their sight. Easily differentiated by a flat top to the headstock on the TOM’s and a rounded or curved top of the headstock on the OM’s. The body looks the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion