The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Big thing no one's mentioned is BRACING. Assuming we're talking current Martins...

OM-28, OM-28 Deluxe, and OM-21 are 1/4" scalloped braced with long scale. Only difference is aesthetics.

000-28 has 5/16" scalloped bracing and short scale.

000-28 Modern Deluxe is the Goldilocks combo here with the 1/4" scalloped ("golden era") bracing with short scale. Lots of other differences too, but bracing and scale is key here, with finer scalloping and torrified sitka top.

For my money, I'd take a used OM-28 Marquis over any of the above, any day of the week. Love that guitar and a chunky neck.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepish14 View Post
The only thing I would say is that unless you need the shorter scale to bend strings, and put less stress on your playing (you already have a great guitar in the 00-18 for that), if you can get your hands on the new OM-28, I highly recommend it.
Its funny. That use to be a big deal a few years ago when I got the 00-18, bending stings that is, but when I sat down and thought about the way I play today its not a priority anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleghowell View Post
If you can track down a nice used OM28V you`ll have a guitar for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinngibson View Post
Before you buy, and I’ve got an OM28, Italian spruce top with gorgeous Guatemalan rosewood back, and sides, D45 peghead overlay custom that is a very powerful guitar, but I also fell in love with a OOO-28 Modern Deluxe after picking one up to play.
You owe it to yourself to try a modern deluxe as if I had found it before I found the OM I probably wouldn’t have looked for an OM. It’s almost as loud probably due to Martins VTS system, it already sounds like an older guitar. Great tone, short scale but plenty loud for a triple O size. I bought mine at Willcutt Guitars for 3400.00. Try one, you will like it I’m sure.
I wish I could try them but really limited options here. Just looked on the Long and Mcquade site(Canada's version of Guitar Center) and they only have the standard series and not in stock on those. Last time I was in the store the guy told me all the Martins have been there for 3 years and nothing new has been brought in. You would think in Vancouver we would have a big enough market but its not the case. Friend I jam with just did a 3 month search for a Guild D55 and ended up ordering it in from another province.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Thanks to everyone else that has replied. I am really leaning towards the OM-28 now and will make it my goal to try and track down some of the different versions that are out there to try. Once again thank you all.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

There will be several differences in the different OM-28's, the biggest 2 IMO being neck shape and string spacing at the saddle.

1. I believe the Marquis and 28V are both 2 5/16" at the saddle (vs 2 3/16"). If you play a lot of finger style, or have bigger fingers, the extra real estate may help. For strumming, might not mean that much.

2. The current OM's have the modified low oval PA taper. Some love it, some prefer the chunkier necks of the 28V and Marquis. Again, I think they both have a modified V shape, which I never found that difficult to manage, but they do take getting used to if you are used to Taylor or the MLOPA necks on the newer Martins.

Looking forward to seeing what you get.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:04 PM

So after debating with myself over and over which I wanted I finally found a shop 2 hours away that has both. Drove out on Saturday and tried both guitars. The OM-28 won me over. To my ear it was crisp and clear in sound where the 000-28 was more muddy. With the OM everything sounded clear on the strum and picking. Just a beautiful sound. So I have my HD28V for sale and when it sells I will pull the trigger on an OM-28 Ambertone and then I guess Ill wait a year till it comes in. First Martin I am buying new and I cant wait.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepish14 View Post
I just purchased two new standard Martins. An OM-28 and a 000-18. The OM-28 is the most versatile guitar I have ever owned. I traded in my HD-28 and I can honestly say the OM-28 has all the bass I need. I can strum pretty heavy and it sounds great. It is not the cannon that I had with the HD-28, but it can sound big. I play a variety of styles. I flatpick, fingerpick, and strum and this guitar is fantastic for all applications.I bought the 000-18 because I wanted a shorter scale guitar for those times when I want to play longer. It is easier on my hands and shoulder. The big surprise is that it really produces a big sound. While the mids are astonishing on this guitar, it really produces some great bass and chimey treble. I does not have the overall power of OM but it does its own thing. The 000-18 has really been the pleasant shocker for me. I love both of these guitars and the biggest problem I have is when to put one down and move on to other one. I play both of them for equal amounts of time each day.
Does the OM28 have the sweet high and mids of the 000-18? I’m debating adding an OM28 to my collection but don’t know if it’d be redundant with a D28 and a 000-18. It’d be great to just have one guitar that does it all, but we all know that’s impossible.

Last edited by drednot; 10-25-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

I also had the 000-28 OM-28 dilemma.

I was also after the 000 because I wanted the short scale.

I played an OM-28 a couple years ago, and really liked it.

I couldn't find a 000 to play local. So I went to YouTube, and listened to comparisons.

The difference seemed to be, a bit fuller tone on the OM-28.

Also the OM comes standard with electronics.

Very happy with my OM-28
Old 10-26-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Out of that bunch the OM-28 would be my recommendation. It will give you a lot of latitude to do most anything you ask of it. Best of luck! Wish I'd kept the last one I had...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM

Between those 3, the OM21 is the one that impressed me the most. The OMs from Martin certainly have a better bass response than the OOO. You can feel it the very first strum you do on the guitar. I think it is a more versatile guitar as you can easily use it for strumming, flat picking, etc.
However, I prefer the comfort of the OOO. I also think it sounds better for fingerstyle and blues.
OM21 and OM28 essentially have the same sound. Esthetic is better on the OM28, but for the price difference between both, I think OM21 is a better value.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM

I prefer long-scales. Why are there no OM18's?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I’d just decide on the specs you like. As someone mentioned there are bracing differences, nut and saddle spacing differences and tonal differences. As a strummer and flat picker, most of us think the longer scale would be preferred. As Zoopeda says, my favorite too would be a used OM-28 Marquis which has the best features all together.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I recently chose the OM-28 for the sound and feel. Or perhaps, my lovely wife chose it with me. A few notes:

The OM-28 Standard Reimagined has the Modified Low Oval profile and High-Performance Taper neck. The Deluxe has a slightly asymmetrical neck with the V point offset and variable through the length. To quote Maury's Music:
The profile is considerably lower than other vintage necks, with a V apex that is softened to be barely noticeable. But the real secret to this new neck is found in what Martin refers to as its “skewed” shape. The deepest part of the neck is off-center and gradually changes position, to better fit into the nook of the hand where the palm and thumb come together. It adjusts to the shape of the hand as it moves up the neck, rather than expecting the hand to adjust to the shape of the neck. It simply must be experienced to be fully appreciated!
I think you'll want to get your hands on the models to find what is comfortable to you.

The 000-28 has shorter scale which means less tension. It also means the guitar will be more mid-focused. You may find that the slinky strings don't support those odd finger positions required in fingerstlye as well, with less tension to anchor you laterally. By contrast, the OM-28 has more bass, an upper-mid scoop, and a lovely treble sheen to it.

But the bottom line is what you feel and hear. The differences between examples can sometimes be greater than the differences between models. I tried this 1935 Sunburst OM-28 and an Amber Sunburst OM-28. This one sounded and felt absolutely lovely while the Amber example just didn't speak to me at all and didn't feel as nice either.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

(Disclaimer, I have two variations of 000-28's and a 000-12 fret all mahogany, I have played a number of OM's in my "travels".)
You already have a good handle on the spec differences between the three. My two cents is that I don't share the view that the OM's longer scale will reliably result in better tone than a given 000. IMHO there's enough variation in other aspects of an individual OM/000 guitar that a given 000 may sound better than a given OM, and vice versa. So my recommendation is to play as many of both as you can and find one (either one) that you like. I have targeted 000's over OM's because I do prefer the playability of the shorter scale but I don't feel like I've sacrificed tone.
PS: Regardless of which body you're playing be sure to really consider the neck profile as they can vary on specific versions of these models; find a neck that feels good to you.

Last edited by gmel555; 10-27-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:13 PM

I'm a Gibson fan, and have a strong preference for mahogany guitars with a short scale. I normally play Gibson Jumbo type guitars (AJ-shape, round-shouldered dread, whatever).

My one and only Martin is a mahogany 000. It's a very nice guitar and I really like the size of the Martin 000s. Take a peek at the 18-series in your travels.

Mine is a 000-16GT that I picked up on sale, but I like it well enough so that I wouldn't mind moving up to a 000-18V or something of that sort. Maybe one of the Authentics or something.

I know a fair bit about Gibson models, but I'm only casually acquainted with the Martin lineup.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:59 PM

Default 000

Welcome to the forum. You already have an OM. I would get the 000-28 or a 000-18. My 000-18 has been the one I like to play the most with my Larrivee OM a close second. I also agree that you should get what sounds the best to you, so if the OM sounds better to you then get one.

Last edited by DBW; 10-26-2021 at 06:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion