The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
300 CD minimum is usually for CDs, not CD-Rs.
If you look at my post again, you'll see I was referencing what was available twenty years ago, not what's available now. Twenty years ago, there were only two companies that were well known and performed the gamut of services from duplication to mastering to embedding metadata... Oasis and Discmakers. Oasis was the less expensive option at the time.

There were also some smaller companies offering shorter runs but those short runs were expensive and brought the 'per cd' cost up significantly compared to what Oasis and Discmaker were charging at the time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-13-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
300 CD minimum is usually for CDs, not CD-Rs. CD Replication vs CD Duplication. Not that that should make a difference these days. In the "old days" (i.e. 10 years ago), many CD players could not play CD-Rs, that's really not the case any longer.

Another inexpensive place to use for CD-Rs is Kunaki.com - you can get as few as you want, but they only offer jewel box cases, no digipacks.

I used to think CD Replication was needed because otherwise you can lose all the metadata, but that's not true. I know someone who had CDs done (guessing by Discmakers) and the metadata was incomplete/missing on many tracks.
Early this century, I used to do short runs of CD-Rs myself which I mailed out to friends and family. I burned the CDs with Adobe Audition 3.01 which did add the CD text of the song titles which would show up on CD players that had an LCD screen and supported that. CD Text is not the same thing as the metadata that you get when you rip a CD back to digital files however as I recall. It didn't take long to run off 30-50 of them. The best looking ones over the years was when you could get the CD-R disks that you put in the right computer CD player/writer upside down and they etched a faint but sharp design into the top of the disk. That took longer to do that the audio write, but eventually those disk blanks became unavailable anywhere.* I did one last year after that, using a inkjet that printed on printable CD-R blanks and then gave it up.

Nowadays, fewer people have CD players anyway -- or at least that's how I think about it for my purposes -- no aspersions cast against the OPs desires.

*the technology I liked that died out was branded "LightScribe." Inkjet printable was a bit dodgy in that some CD-Rs labeled "printable" didn't hold the ink from my home printer. At work we had "professional" CD ink printers that worked well enough, but for a once a year job I never wanted to invest in one of those.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-13-2021, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

One of my home made CD disc label and tune list:

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
One of my home made CD disc label and tune list:

That looks great!

I can see why the OP wants a physical package to leave to his kids and grandkids.

- Glenn
Old 10-14-2021, 08:36 AM

There are still many people buying CDs - so-called 'super fans', and other musicians, mostly.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-14-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are still many people buying CDs - so-called 'super fans', and other musicians, mostly.
I buy CDs. Of course, I'm getting to be an old guy these days so I imagine I am out of touch.

I use high bit rate mp3 files all the time, but I rip them from my CDs. I have 3 CD players in various parts of the house and one in my studio. I play my mp3 files through my CD or Blu-Ray DVD players and then through big sound systems. I work out every day to different music playing back mp3 files. I usually find that CDs these days don't cost much different from downloading an mp3 album.

- Glenn
Old 11-03-2021, 06:56 PM

Something no one has mentioned about CDBaby.

You can send them higher resolution masters to qualify for the “mastered for iTunes” program. You just need to work with a mastering engineer who works with them for this service. I’ve mastered 24/96k files for them for several of my clients. You just can’t use their upload service. There’s a special procedure for that.

The other thing I will say is that they are very particular about artist names & capitalization. I had to fight with them to get my name spelled correctly because I have a 2nd capital in my last name & their system doesn’t like that.

A number of years back I was talking with the founder of CDBaby (we went to college together) & said “Derek, it was so much better before you sold it to DiscMakers”.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD