The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-06-2021, 05:12 AM

Default ZEDi10FX w/Reaper Users?

Any of you using an Allen & Heath ZEDi10FX mixer via USB to Reaper? I am trying to record the Z's on-board effects and I am stomped as I have only been able to get the dry signal. (Yes, I have M1 M2 Aux FX switch selected, the Aux and FX turned up on the track/s to no avail.) Reaper routing changes nothing. How do you do it (if indeed, it can be done). Thanks
Old 10-06-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

opps double

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-06-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Any of you using an Allen & Heath ZEDi10FX mixer via USB to Reaper? I am trying to record the Z's on-board effects and I am stomped as I have only been able to get the dry signal. (Yes, I have M1 M2 Aux FX switch selected, the Aux and FX turned up on the track/s to no avail.) Reaper routing changes nothing. How do you do it (if indeed, it can be done). Thanks
Don't have the mixer or Reaper but from opening the Mixer Manual it sure sounds like you should be able to do it. (although I am not sure why given the bundled FX in Reaper are likely have much more control, and probably butter overall sound ? )
That said:

This seems to indicate it can be done ...

3. USB OUT SOURCE SELECT buttons allow you to chose where the signal to the outputs of the USB interface output is taken from.
M1 - M2 - AUX - FX selects the USB OUT source from channels M1, M2 and the
AUX and FX buss outputs and has priority over the default M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 source select.

But it looks like a multi gain stage process

So if I understand you You have the Aux and FX sends on the individual mixer channels turned up (I assume to -0- ) Page 2 #10 and #11

BUT do you also have the FX to Aux turned up in the FX Muli Model section Page 5 #4

And if you are monitoring from the mixer itself, as opposed to monitoring from the DAW / computer ? Do you have the HP select on the mixer set to FX ? Page 4 #14

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-06-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Don't have the mixer or Reaper but from opening the Mixer Manual it sure sounds like you should be able to do it. (although I am not sure why given the bundled FX in Reaper are likely have much more control, and probably butter overall sound ? )
That said:

This seems to indicate it can be done ...

3. USB OUT SOURCE SELECT buttons allow you to chose where the signal to the outputs of the USB interface output is taken from.
M1 - M2 - AUX - FX selects the USB OUT source from channels M1, M2 and the
AUX and FX buss outputs and has priority over the default M1 - M2 - M3 - M4 source select.

But it looks like a multi gain stage process

So if I understand you You have the Aux and FX sends on the individual mixer channels turned up (I assume to -0- ) Page 2 #10 and #11

BUT do you also have the FX to Aux turned up in the FX Muli Model section Page 5 #4

And if you are monitoring from the mixer itself, as opposed to monitoring from the DAW / computer ? Do you have the HP select on the mixer set to FX ? Page 4 #14
Kevin, in short, yes yes and yes... I have tried all the above to no avail. I still can only get the dry signal. Not sure what's going on but I might just bypass the FX off the Zed as it's not exactly stellar anyway.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kevin, in short, yes yes and yes... I have tried all the above to no avail. I still can only get the dry signal. Not sure what's going on but I might just bypass the FX off the Zed as it's not exactly stellar anyway.
Seems to me , if you set the mixers HP's outs to FX on the mixer, you should be able to hear them ??????

Have you tried monitoring from the DAW /computer outs ?

You might call A&H support and ask ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 AM

Well, after fiddling with this thing for way too long, I am now able to record the on-board effects to Reaper on a single track. It is far from intuitive (to me, anyway) but it works.

Here's what I did with a guitar on Channel 1 (no other inputs).

SELECT (press down) M1 - M2 - AUX - FX
SELECT effect of your choice
ZERO AUX MASTER
ZERO FX to AUX
ZERO AUX on Channel 1
ZERO FX on Channel 1

ARM Track 3 (AUX) (and arm Track 1 if 100% dry separate is desired)
NOTE: Arming Track 4 (FX) records nothing but DRY no matter.

Track 1 remains 100 % DRY at all times
Track 3 can vary from 100% DRY to 100% WET and anything in between
Channel 1 AUX now controls the DRY signal to Track 3
Channel 1 FX now controls the WET signal to Track 3
For a 100% WET signal on Track 3, Turn ch 1 AUX down and turn FX up.
For a mix of WET/DRY on a single track, adjust Ch 1 AUX & FX to taste and record Track 3 only.

Good luck !!
Old 10-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, after fiddling with this thing for way too long, I am now able to record the on-board effects to Reaper on a single track. It is far from intuitive (to me, anyway) but it works.

Here's what I did with a guitar on Channel 1 (no other inputs).

SELECT (press down) M1 - M2 - AUX - FX
SELECT effect of your choice
ZERO AUX MASTER
ZERO FX to AUX
ZERO AUX on Channel 1
ZERO FX on Channel 1

ARM Track 3 (AUX) (and arm Track 1 if 100% dry separate is desired)
NOTE: Arming Track 4 (FX) records nothing but DRY no matter.

Track 1 remains 100 % DRY at all times
Track 3 can vary from 100% DRY to 100% WET and anything in between
Channel 1 AUX now controls the DRY signal to Track 3
Channel 1 FX now controls the WET signal to Track 3
For a 100% WET signal on Track 3, Turn ch 1 AUX down and turn FX up.
For a mix of WET/DRY on a single track, adjust Ch 1 AUX & FX to taste and record Track 3 only.

Good luck !!
I do not have mixer in my set up, so no help there.

But let's back up to the beginning and also take a step back for objective perspective.

#1 In terms of recording into your DAW (Reaper) can we assume you do not have a dedicated interface and are using the A&H mixer as your interface ?

#2 If that is case,,, then let me suggest that perhaps in an effort to "simplify things" (i.e. use the mixer FX's to record FX into the DAW ) what you have done is you have actually made things more complicated than they really need to be..

If it were me what I would be doing instead, is completely skip trying to use any FX from the mixer, and simply send the one channel of dry guitar signal from the mixer into Reaper. And then add any FX in Reaper because it will in fact be less complicated and simpler in the end...

Because you will then be dealing with a single audio track in Reaper and you either put the FX on that track (which will be real time non-destructive FX , which you can easily change ) ... Or you can Add a second track and put FX on that track and simply send to that track from the guitar track within Reapers routing (And is in fact actually what you are already doing on the mixer, so in reality there is the same amount of complexity just in different locations )
Either way it will in the long run be more flexible and simpler than trying to use the mixer FX ... IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-12-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:19 PM

Actually, Kev, it is now a very simple and quick process (much more than your suggestion, but thank you). The only “complicated” thing was to figure out the *how*. Turn a couple buttons, press another and within seconds I’m ready to record a single track with the on-board effects blended to taste. This is not something I will use often (less than stellar FX) but I’m satisfied to know how to do it now. Cheers!

PS. Yes, I use the mixer as an interface via it’s 4 channel USB.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, Kev, it is now a very simple and quick process (much more than your suggestion, but thank you). The only “complicated” thing was to figure out the *how*. Turn a couple buttons, press another and within seconds I’m ready to record a single track with the on-board effects blended to taste. This is not something I will use often (less than stellar FX) but I’m satisfied to know how to do it now. Cheers!

PS. Yes, I use the mixer as an interface via it’s 4 channel USB.
Glad you got it sorted.... But trust me, (since you are in fact sending it to Reaper) It's only the perception of it being simpler and quicker ,,,,, but is not actually any simpler or quicker, and objectively is actually more complex and slower than my suggestion of using the FX inside the DAW, (which like the mixer is a matter of learning how to do it quickly and efficiently)
Now understand I am definitely not suggesting what you should or should not do... I am simply saying that your "perception "of it being "simpler and quicker" may not be objectively taking all the comparative factors of what is possible with a DAW and how to simplify its processes, into account.

I say this because in what you describe you are already booting the mixer and launching Reaper, and you are having to record enable in Reaper, then go thru the 8 steps you list on you mixer .Where if using Reapers FX, all you would have to do on the mixer is select to send the dry signal from the one mixer channel (I assume M1) to Reaper,,, I other words 1 step on the mixer and you are done, ready to record ,,, as opposed to the 8 steps you list using mixer effects...

But I completely agree doing on the mixer is useful knowledge to be sure, and no reason not to employ it when you want to ,,,, But I am simply saying it is merely a different approach, to the same goal.

Don't know if this applies to you, but there is a common mis-perception among those new to DAW's,,, that the vast array features ( and often being unfamiliar with the terminology) makes them intrinsically more complicated But I use the "big buffet dinning" analogy.... You,, and in fact nobody, can or should eat all the selections. You can just grab one or two

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-13-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I think a lot of us went the mixer route when we first started. Mixers look cool and give others the impression we know something. What I mostly knew back then was how to over-complicate the simple.

This was my first setup about 20 years ago when I believed in mixers and in foam.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD