The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Thump when picking high strings with Bose L1 Compact

Hey guys, new kid on the block here. Looks like a great place.

I recently got a Bose L1 Compact, and I'm happy with it, but now that I have pristine sound, I can hear an audible thump when I pick even high notes on my Yamaha Acoustic guitar.

I also notice a propensity for a deep thump if I lightly tap the strings near the bridge, and I think the thump must be emanating from there.

My setup is as follows:
Yamaha Acoustic >> VoiceLive 3 Extreme >> Bose L1

I was using a Hartke AC75 and I don't recall hearing this thump before.

I've tried trimming the bass response way down, both on the guitar itself and in the Voicelive presets. It seems that in order to get rid of the thump, I pretty much have to roll off way too much bass.

Can you guys guide me as to diagnosing the problem and possible solutions? If I haven't given enough information, just let me know and I'll respond as quickly as I can.

Thanks for reading and replying with any ideas!
Old 06-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Sounds like your signal is too hot. Try turning down the guitar’s gain/trim on the Voicelive (if it has one) or engage a high-pass filter on it.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:03 PM

Which Yamaha model guitar, specifically?

My LLX6A has 4 transducer pickups in it, and they are very sensitive. I have to roll off the bass and treble most of the way through most sound systems.

I had the thump issue at one church I regularly played at. On the mixer, I had to enable the hi-pass filter (which cuts the low frequencies below 80hz). When running a system with a dedicated sub, that thumping will be more noticeable. You may end up needing a compressor to help smooth out your signal.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Sounds like your signal is too hot. Try turning down the guitar’s gain/trim on the Voicelive (if it has one) or engage a high-pass filter on it.
Thanks. I'll check the level coming out of the Voicelive. I think you might be onto something there. I'll report back.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Which Yamaha model guitar, specifically?

My LLX6A has 4 transducer pickups in it, and they are very sensitive. I have to roll off the bass and treble most of the way through most sound systems.

I had the thump issue at one church I regularly played at. On the mixer, I had to enable the hi-pass filter (which cuts the low frequencies below 80hz). When running a system with a dedicated sub, that thumping will be more noticeable. You may end up needing a compressor to help smooth out your signal.
It's an FGX 730SCA.

That's exactly what I have to do usually... roll off both the bass and treble. It's definitely a "thumpy" guitar. I've been trying to do some rhythmic beats on it for looping and it is way too boomy.

Since if I very lightly tap on the bridge, I get a boomy thumping sound, I'm thinking there's a natural resonance in the body. I just remembered I have an LR Baggs notch filter unit and I just retrieved it from storage. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can squeeze out those low frequencies that are resonating.

I'll report back my findings. I don't think the Voicelive has a high-pass per se, but I suppose I can roll my own with aggressive EQ.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 PM

I also have, own, and love the FGX730SCA. It too has the transducer pickups (2 vs 4 in the LLX6A) and requires the use of a hi pass filter on some sound systems.

The pickup is one of the most natural sounding pickups out there, but I find that palm muting is tough at times as it creates that thump you describe. I run my 3 band eq at 75% low, 60% mid, and 95% high and usually get good results there.

You may need to get/use a mixer that has either compression and/or a filter. My Yamaha MG10XU always gets the job done for me.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:42 PM

Well, I tried my notch filter and that had absolutely no effect.

I think I'll be alright by sliding the bass EQ on the guitar virtually all the way down as a starting point, and I can adjust up for certain songs as needed.

Are there any brands of guitars out there that are know for NOT having those resonances in the body, either the bass resonance I'm dealing with, or the low-mid range ones that make her want to howl?

One thing's for sure... the Bose L1 systems virtually eliminate feedback as the high speakers are located well above the guitar, and the low is located well below. This has made it pretty much feedback-proof in live situations. So far, at least...
Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 PM

I have a similar issue with the Bodyrez on my Play Acoustic. I have to turn it way down if not off. Also, there is a high pass filter, which I feel sure your unit has as well. Mine defaults at 60, but for guitars that have this bass thump, I have to set this to roll off around 100-120.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I have a Bose L1C. I have come to the conclusion I prefer the NON-tonematch 'guitar' switch setting on the 1/4" channel. I don't like it at all.

I always play my Bose L1C with the switch 'away' from the guitar setting. Then I have the ability to shape my tone the way I like using my pedal preamp. (in your case, the TC Voicelive.

Give that a try and let us know what you think?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steambc View Post
Hey guys, new kid on the block here. Looks like a great place.

I recently got a Bose L1 Compact, and I'm happy with it, but now that I have pristine sound, I can hear an audible thump...
Yeah, one of the side effects of piezo pickups with a hi-fi system is the thumping. And it seems to happen more with nylon strings. My piezo'd uke is thumpy as heck through a good DI into a clean PA. The only real remedy I've found is a microphone, either as part of the pickup system or external.

Couch Standards
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 PM

As an experiment, try taking the voicelive out of the equation and plug the guitar directly into l1c with the switch on "guitar" (hi-z).
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bose l1 compact, noise, thump, voicelive 3 extreme, yamaha acoustic