The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-29-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Line6 HX Stomp as dual preamp?

For those of you owning an HX Stomp, could I run a dual source pickup and assign different EQs and maybe FX to the two channels and then merge them into a mono output? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
For those of you owning an HX Stomp, could I run a dual source pickup and assign different EQs and maybe FX to the two channels and then merge them into a mono output? Thanks!
I was wrong. I just made a great dual source preset for my Parkers. Electric side has a Klon, Timmy and Princeton Reverb (changed mics to a ribbon on the cab) and the acoustic side has a 3 band eq (10 wouldn't fit) and Studio Tube preamp and them are hard panned in the mixer then go through stereo chorus, stereo delay and stereo (? - it's a legacy) reverb. Sounds great in headphones.

Last edited by DavidE; 06-08-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 PM

I have a stomp and I do not think you can control the R/L stereo inputs separately but you may be able to control the aux input on the right side of the unit (effects loop) separately. I would call customer service and ask about global control over the effects loop input. The Line6 folks are generally very helpful.
If that works, you can run one guitar on the mono input and one guitar on the aux input (effects return).
Hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:31 AM

Yes, it can be done. I have the Hx Stomp and have done this. From the manual:

TIP: Okay, this one's for the power users: If you move a Split > Y block all the way left, set its BalnceA to "L100" and its BalnceB to "R100," you can process the L/MONO and RIGHT inputs independently. In addition, if you route the Mixer block to Path B (Send L/R), you can process two instruments simultaneously, each with its own mono input, stereo processing, and stereo outputs!

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2020, 10:16 PM

Default Yes

I also play Chapman Stick and the Stomp actually does this better than my Helix as it has two inputs; the Helix I have to use the FX Returns as there's only one true guitar input. I process the Melody Side and Bass side into the same Sansamp clones with different settings.

I also have an Emerald doubleneck acoustic, Music Man electric, and a different Stick which also has dual outputs - I run all four of those instruments via my Stick cables into the left and right inputs.

It's deceiving because the Stomp only has one path vs the Helix which has two. The very left of the path display looks like one input, but you create the split and assign how you want the L and Right inputs to split. The Helix you visually see a split path, it's a little easier to create.

I wish Line 6 would have given the Aux input in the Helix a variable impedance in order to create a L and R input like the Stomp. I can use it that way with my Music Man guitar as the piezo bridge can really kick out some volume, but the other three instruments not really.

Love this, as it's a "rig in a small box". When I play open mics I can bring whatever instrument and dial up the correct amp/preamp to run into the PA, vs bringing multiple amps.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:12 PM

I've used a Helix to do this for years combining a K&K with a Rare Earth soundhole pickup. Recently got a Stomp XL, and with the 8 block limit, it still can be done.

Heres the block in Helix

To get it to work with Stomp, I had to combined the Reverb and chorus into one. IR, preamp and EQ on both sources. The trickiest thing is setting up the return jacks to be panned hard left and right instead of center. Once I figured that out, it was easy.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-06-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I've used a Helix to do this for years combining a K&K with a Rare Earth soundhole pickup. Recently got a Stomp XL, and with the 8 block limit, it still can be done.

Heres the block in Helix

To get it to work with Stomp, I had to combined the Reverb and chorus into one. IR, preamp and EQ on both sources. The trickiest thing is setting up the return jacks to be panned hard left and right instead of center. Once I figured that out, it was easy.
Do you happen to know if it is possible to set the input impedance independently for both inputs when you use this method?
Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Does anyone have a dual source patch for Stomp they'd be willing to share?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Does anyone have a dual source patch for Stomp they'd be willing to share?

Thanks
Sure. PM me.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-08-2021, 01:34 PM

Default Line6 HX Stomp as dual preamp?

I just made a great dual source preset for my Parkers. When I say "dual source," I mean an electric guitar path and an acoustic guitar path. Not sure if any of my dual source acoustics are actually stereo. Maybe one with an old Fishman might be.

Electric side has a Klon, Timmy and Princeton Reverb (changed mics to a ribbon on the cab) and the acoustic side has a 3 band eq (10 wouldn't fit) and Studio Tube preamp and them are hard panned in the mixer then go through stereo chorus, stereo delay and stereo (? - it's a legacy) reverb. Sounds great in headphones.

IMG_9222.jpg

Last edited by DavidE; 06-08-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
Yes, it can be done. I have the Hx Stomp and have done this. From the manual:

TIP: Okay, this one's for the power users: If you move a Split > Y block all the way left, set its BalnceA to "L100" and its BalnceB to "R100," you can process the L/MONO and RIGHT inputs independently. In addition, if you route the Mixer block to Path B (Send L/R), you can process two instruments simultaneously, each with its own mono input, stereo processing, and stereo outputs!

Thanks!
Hi,
I am trying to visualize this. OK. I have a K&k pure mini as well as a Trinity microphone. Each output is coming out my preamp separately so I was plugging those into the L and R of my HX Stomp and as you said, I split the path with a split Y panned left and right at 100% . I was told I also would need to put a mono block on each path before any IR's. Apparently if you don't,.... the IR on either Path A and/or B crosses paths and is no longer panned to the side you put it on. Is this true?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Do you happen to know if it is possible to set the input impedance independently for both inputs when you use this method?
I have seen this on a screen before, but I don't have the Helix, I have the HX Stomp and even though I have a L and R input I can't seem to create two mono paths the way you did. I will try to pm you about it , if possible I would love to see if your patch will load on my Stomp.
Cheers
GerryC
Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
Hi,

I am trying to visualize this. OK. I have a K&k pure mini as well as a Trinity microphone. Each output is coming out my preamp separately so I was plugging those into the L and R of my HX Stomp and as you said, I split the path with a split Y panned left and right at 100% . I was told I also would need to put a mono block on each path before any IR's. Apparently if you don't,.... the IR on either Path A and/or B crosses paths and is no longer panned to the side you put it on. Is this true?

I don’t believe that is true. It doesn’t make sense, and I haven’t experienced it.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 06-09-2021, 05:07 PM

I have run into where the split looks like it is set correctly but it still doesn't work. Calling up a different split type, then going back to the correct split and redoing the settings seems to fix it. I have no idea of why.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:07 PM

Here's my Stomp board

Dual acoustic (Fishman Rare Earth + K&K) in the main input, electric guitar in the Return (through Turbo Tuner).

I've also included the signal path for the dual acoustic below.

'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification