The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 AM

Obviously, they are not in the same ballpark price wise, but I wonder how this guitar stacks up against the Turner Model 1 that Lindsey Buckingham rocks so admirably? The Model 1 is ~$6k.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparis51 View Post

Sounds great through my system and would be a keeper if the high E wasn't noticeably quieter than the other strings using the UST. Bummer! I'll be calling my Sweetwater sales rep Monday morning, so much for their 55-point inspection (and Fender QA). Since SW is out of stock I guess I'm SOL for a while
If you opt to return it (as opposed to taking it to a local tech or fixing it yourself) Sweetwater may have an in-house tech who can fix it. (Copper tape can sometimes be used to fix this particular problem.) You may not be as SOL as you think, though you'd still have the inconvenience and wait of shipping.

In any event, I'm as curious as everyone else to learn how this problem will be resolved. Please let us know.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Obviously, they are not in the same ballpark price wise, but I wonder how this guitar stacks up against the Turner Model 1 that Lindsey Buckingham rocks so admirably? The Model 1 is ~$6k.
There's also the Tom Anderson Crowdster. I think they're in the $4-5k price range.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Sounds great through my system and would be a keeper if the high E wasn't noticeably quieter than the other strings using the UST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
If you opt to return it (as opposed to taking it to a local tech or fixing it yourself) Sweetwater may have an in-house tech who can fix it. (Copper tape can sometimes be used to fix this particular problem.)
How can copper tape be used to fix this problem?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I think they look rather ugly! My Godin has better options than the Fender and cheaper too. Godin has been making them for years
When Henry J got let go from Gibson, did Fender hire him? Just saying!
I'm glad you are happy with your Godin. But why the cheap shot?

Fender's approach seems a bit different than Godin's, relying more on the interaction between and response of the body and pickups rather than synthesized effects. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. But, without having played either, it seems to me that the Godin might offer a greater variety of acoustic-electric sounds while not bridging the gap between acoustic and electric as well as the Fender. Although a little jarring initially, I like the looks of the Fender and am curious to hear it in person.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 01-27-2019, 12:54 PM

Does anyone else think the electric sounds on this new fender are a bit lacking.
The acoustic sounds are great. I would think it would have been easy to do electric.Coming from fender.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:35 PM

I listened to the T5z / Acoustisonic review and thought it was well done. I have a T5z and there is a learning curve to take full advantage of its tonal abilities. With its tone adjustments there is nothing lacking in the “acoustic” ability. It’s electric offerings also leave nothing to be desired. From acoustic to jazz guitar to “Les Paul” sound I’ve never been disappointed.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
There's also the Tom Anderson Crowdster. I think they're in the $4-5k price range.
I love my TAG Crowdster +2. It is an amazing and enjoyable guitar. I owned a T5 for years before switching to the TAG.
FWIW - the new Fender does seem quite interesting at least in that comparison video. I would love to hear more work on the clean electric settings as opposed to significant gain sounds. The TAG Crowdster +2 electric capabilities are fully developed in my opinion. When I work the two sounds, I like to lay down a loop with acoustic sounds and then overlay with clean or very slightly overdriven electric guitar sounds.

Another item to consider when considering the cross-overs is the strings. The TAG Crowdster was developed to use a round third (acoustic strings) and has a 1.72 or so nut width. I have been using electric jazz strings on it (wound 3rd). My Taylor T5 could accommodate a wound third, with a different nut. I believe I used .012 electric strings on it without a wound third. It appears the new Fender is designed for electric strings and not a wound third.

Anyway, just a few thoughts when comparing. The strings and nut-width go a long way toward making the instrument more or less electric or acoustic feeling.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
How can copper tape be used to fix this problem?
Its sometimes used to build up the section of saddle bottom which is directly below the weakly responding string.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Have you done a side by side comparison?
Just sayin'.
Don't need to! My Godin has 2 ouputs one for the acoustic, one for the electric. Electric side has 3 pickups. I can send my electric side to my electric effects board and the acoustic side goes to the acoustic effects board.
Cost was no where near that Fender and my Godin looks much nicer than that ugly Fender!
Just saying!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I really liked this guitar at NAMM but every one that I tried had a weak high e string on both the acoustic AND the electric pickups. It seems to be something to do with the design and you may just have to live with it. I still want to get one.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I really liked this guitar at NAMM but every one that I tried had a weak high e string on both the acoustic AND the electric pickups. It seems to be something to do with the design and you may just have to live with it. I still want to get one.
That's disheartening, but I still think I have a particular problem as the balance from the magnetic pickup sounds fine. On the UST the high E's only getting about half the volume of the B string.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
That's disheartening, but I still think I have a particular problem as the balance from the magnetic pickup sounds fine. On the UST the high E's only getting about half the volume of the B string.
This is a very common problem with any UST and easily fixed with a little paper, masking tape, filing, or painting. One of the reasons I don't have one of those super popular soundboard transducers in my guitars is after the install, super glue in the case of a K&K, you are stuck with whatever string balance you get.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-28-2019, 07:43 AM

I've only been skimming over these several threads on the new Acoustasonic, so I could be adding two and two and making five here, but I noticed in a close-up photo of the inner workings (in another AGF thread) that the UST position is more to the BASS side (I think someone actually said it was more to the TREBLE side, but I think it is the opposite). So if that is the case, and if it is like that on all models, then couldn't that be the reason for the low volume on the high E string?

Here's the thread that shows the UST position:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=536084
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
I love my TAG Crowdster +2. It is an amazing and enjoyable guitar. I owned a T5 for years before switching to the TAG.
FWIW - the new Fender does seem quite interesting at least in that comparison video. I would love to hear more work on the clean electric settings as opposed to significant gain sounds. The TAG Crowdster +2 electric capabilities are fully developed in my opinion. When I work the two sounds, I like to lay down a loop with acoustic sounds and then overlay with clean or very slightly overdriven electric guitar sounds.

Another item to consider when considering the cross-overs is the strings. The TAG Crowdster was developed to use a round third (acoustic strings) and has a 1.72 or so nut width. I have been using electric jazz strings on it (wound 3rd). My Taylor T5 could accommodate a wound third, with a different nut. I believe I used .012 electric strings on it without a wound third. It appears the new Fender is designed for electric strings and not a wound third.

Anyway, just a few thoughts when comparing. The strings and nut-width go a long way toward making the instrument more or less electric or acoustic feeling.
Would love to try one. The specs would make it seem to be the best, but the price tag is a little high compared to Fender or Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion