The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
In my experience, actually understanding theory requires me to have the technical capability on guitar to execute the theory without issue.

I took music theory classes in college, but becoming a better guitar player had little to do with learning theory. It came from learning songs, chords, scales, the notes in them, etc.

Agreed. I think learning songs, triads, and how to spell chords is the best way to learn “theory.” News you can use!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM

Thanks for all the great advise.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 AM

Thumbs up

I keep wishing for a student to ask me to teach music theory on guitar! Anyway, there are many youtube sites that would help. If you prefer to learn by book, I like Alfred's Teach Yourself Guitar Theory as a start, then taking lessons to drive the concepts home through actual playing. I believe a university level music course might be a great source too.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Given the OP's stated goals, I wouldn't advise immersion in theory or reading at this point. Rather, I'd suggest that he learn to tune the guitar to pitch, learn some rudimentary chords and how to apply those chords to songs that might interest him. Theory and reading can follow later if his interests send him in that direction or if his goals change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write