The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Question South Florida Guitar Lessons

Hey there, I'm new to the forum. I've been a bassist for many years, with lots of gigs and recording under my belt. I've had numerous guitars through the years, but never really dug in, as bass has always kept me busy, challenged and satisfied.

However, I recently got the bug to spend some time with the acoustic guitar. I finally took the dive and bought my first "real" acoustic earlier this summer. Since then, I've been all over the net, watching lessons, tutorials etc., and it's all been fun and super helpful. But, I'm kinda old school and would like to find someone to sit down with and do some 1:1 lessons.

I'm currently in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and thought I'd poke around here on the forum and see if I could get some recommendations on good folks to connect with. I'm sure there are some amazing players/teachers around, but I'm a temporary transplant to the area and don't know a soul.

Hit me with some recommendations!

Thanks!!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Hey there,

Im no longer in SoFla but I had a great classical teacher in Miami named Federico Bonacossa... He was superb. Got his Phd from U of M and is on staff at Florida International University. Or, if you prefer steel string, you may want to check out Richard Gilewitz www.richardgilewitz.com . He actually lives in Inverness (North of Tampa) but does clinics and concerts a couple time a year in South Florida. He is a great teacher and does Skype lessons and you may be able to meet up every so often for face to face lessons.

Good luck!
Jeff

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 AM

I'm in South FL also (WPB area), but unfortunately I have no advise as far as personal instruction goes.

I do however highly recommend the ArtisWorks.com platform.

I've searched for new people to jam/ play with here, but it seems to be very difficult to actually connect due to schedules, varying skill levels, & different musical interests.

I guess I'm most comfortable with the friends & family I already get to play with, & most of the better pickers I know won't really slow down enough to "teach" me. The just say something like "it goes like this" or "it's all right there". LOL

IMHO, though, it's very important to at least try playing with others & not just practice on your own all the time. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
I'm in South FL also (WPB area), but unfortunately I have no advise as far as personal instruction goes.

I do however highly recommend the ArtisWorks.com platform.

I've searched for new people to jam/ play with here, but it seems to be very difficult to actually connect due to schedules, varying skill levels, & different musical interests.

I guess I'm most comfortable with the friends & family I already get to play with, & most of the better pickers I know won't really slow down enough to "teach" me. The just say something like "it goes like this" or "it's all right there". LOL

IMHO, though, it's very important to at least try playing with others & not just practice on your own all the time. Hope this helps.

Yeah artistworks is a great resource, but like you eluded to, there is no replacement for making music with other people. It seems, especially in this area, that people are really disconnected with one another. No time to actually interact with others, when it’s so much more convenient to stay in and do everything online. It’s a shame, but seems to be where our society is headed.

In any case, thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 AM

I actually got out on Saturday night to a place in Lake Worth with live acoustic jam. The venue was called 'Revelry'. You might check around for something like this and also for Open Mics. I've met a few people to play with this way.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:58 PM

I'd check out Penny Lane Emporium on Oakland Park Blvd in Ft Lauderdale. Can't personally recommend a specific instructor, but my son took ukulele lessons there and I was very happy with the instruction. They have a bunch of guitar instructors - I'm sure there's someone there that's suitable. And they're great people. They also have small concerts and coins occasionally. A few months ago they had in Kenny and Amanda Smith.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write