The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 PM

I got a set, and I don't recall signing up to be a beta tester.

OMG!!! They're incredible. They're simply the best strings I've ever owned. I haven't put them on my guitar yet, but I can tell by how they're wound that they're going to sound amazing!!!!
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 AM

I put mine on my Flammang yesterday. They’re nice strings, indeed. They don’t feel coated at all. Not to my paws.

I’d certainly be willing to use these on my guitars.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default D'Addario Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I got a set, and I don't recall signing up to be a beta tester.

OMG!!! They're incredible. They're simply the best strings I've ever owned. I haven't put them on my guitar yet, but I can tell by how they're wound that they're going to sound amazing!!!!

Now I know why I must struggle with string satisfaction. I haven’t been paying enough attention to how they sound BEFORE I put them on my guitar. Thanks for clearing that up, Beak’s! :-)

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-26-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I'm really liking them a lot. Very smooth, low string noise, balanced tone on my Yamaha FS-TA.

Don't forget to sign on and give your initial impressions and then mark you calendar to go back and complete the survey before October 14 in order to get your player points reward.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Any follow up reports? How are people liking these after a bit of time?
Old 10-04-2018, 12:41 PM

I got the 80/20 lights. On a solid rosewood 000 they ring/sustain nicely, don't feel coated, hold tuning, low noise but wound strings feel too stiff for my tastes.

I'll give them a few more days as per agreement.

Last edited by Realbluesman; 10-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal View Post
I’m still liking them. Mine have settled down a bit, not as sparkly as when brand new but still feel feel and sound good. I just to figure out how to adjust my Ph to avoid black fingers, which I seem only to get with daddario strings. I may try some EXPs instead of my usual Martins and Elixirs.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal View Post
Almost three weeks now on my D18.
The good:
I like them. They stay in tune very well.
Since they settled down a bit from the initial zing they have remained consistently balanced sounding with a nice warm smooth tone.
The not-as-good:
I still think they don't project as well as other strings I have tried and at this point, they are what they are.
As I mentioned before, I think you finger style guys would like them a lot.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have had them on my deep body grand concert for two weeks. They are just starting to lose that jangly zing that I never like. They are still stiff and a bit too rough feeling for my taste.

I will continue with them for another week or so.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM

3.5 weeks on the 80/20 version. I found the initial jangle to go away after a few days and settled in nicely. I am a strummer and pretty hard on strings. Feel really doesn't matter to me. They are starting to have tuning issues like I have with the standard EJ11's at this point. I do think they feel more stiff because they are using the NY steel cores like the regular EXP's and the Nickel Bronze strings. I am not sure I like them over the standard strings because these wore out for me just as fast, not tone-wise but tuning stability. The tone also is a bit different than the standard EJ11's. Not sure how to put it, but maybe less "organic" sounding?
Old 10-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxlylong View Post
3.5 weeks on the 80/20 version. I found the initial jangle to go away after a few days and settled in nicely. I am a strummer and pretty hard on strings. Feel really doesn't matter to me. They are starting to have tuning issues like I have with the standard EJ11's at this point. I do think they feel more stiff because they are using the NY steel cores like the regular EXP's and the Nickel Bronze strings. I am not sure I like them over the standard strings because these wore out for me just as fast, not tone-wise but tuning stability. The tone also is a bit different than the standard EJ11's. Not sure how to put it, but maybe less "organic" sounding?

I haven’t noticed anything out of ordinary re tuning. The humidity and temp here in so Ca has changed quite a bit since I put them on (it’s gotten much cooler and more damp).
Old 10-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Try tuning down a half step!

I'm getting very complex overtones from mine--could be the engelmann top on my LLX6A.

I tried tuning down a half step and that settled down the overtones and the thing sounds incredible now.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'm getting very complex overtones from mine--could be the engelmann top on my LLX6A.

I tried tuning down a half step and that settled down the overtones and the thing sounds incredible now.
Funny you should bring that up. I seem to be hearing a little of that myself.
Something going on between the "G" and "B" strings that I haven't heard with other strings. Hmmmmm

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I was having trouble returning to the beta testing page that I saved. I thought there was a technical error but I discovered my web browser wasn't showing the "continue" button. Duh.

Last edited by Blueser100; 10-09-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 PM

I received an email from D'addario way back when congratulating me on being selected to test the strings. No strings ever arrived. Now I get another email asking that I review the strings before the deadline. Yeah right, I'll give them a review alright. Haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion