The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 10:22 AM
Guest 1928

Anyone looking for an alternative stand should consider the Hamilton KB-38. They were the stand to use before Hercules came along. In my opinion and experience they are still far superior to Hercules.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:23 AM

Today I learned that I am a horrible guitar owner by hanging my guitars on the wall instead of storing them in cases.

My wife even noticed that I installed a guitar hanger in the gazebo. Now I can hang the guitar up when I flip the burgers or go grab another beer.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Today I learned that I am a horrible guitar owner by hanging my guitars on the wall instead of storing them in cases.

My wife even noticed that I installed a guitar hanger in the gazebo. Now I can hang the guitar up when I flip the burgers or go grab another beer.
Funny; I just proposed the same thing!
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I don't think it does...

Perhaps I misread you, but my take away from your posts is that you are suggesting that a once-in-a-while failure of a critical component IS a design flaw in the Pinto, but NOT on the Hercules stand.

While the stakes themselves are clearly [much] higher for the Pinto, in both examples there is a critical (to function) component that stops serving it's proper function, resulting in a highly unfavorable outcome.

It's been noted a number of times here that there was an issue with some older models, which were replaced as needed, and the later models modified to eliminate the materials causing the issue...

Of course there are a few older models still around that the owner should examine and make a personal judgement call to use or replace with whatever stand they choose...

My personal opinion is that the Hercules is overall a high quality, reliable product that I feel comfortable using...

If you really need to continue the guitar stand/death dealing auto thing, tho, I'm just not your Huckleberry...

Hope you get to play and have a good day...
Old 05-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Been using Hercules Singles and wall mount for many years 50 to 100 gigs per year and I have all my guitars out and ready to play 100% of the time. No issues. When I first got them though i thought it was too easy to accidentally hit the trigger release so I installed Drum Hardware Locking Clamps as extra insurance. Also makes it so the height is preset when setting up. The Triple stands are crap (IMO) and probably the duo. But the singles are my fave. the gig ones. Extra insurance. But I hear the worriers - if the head mechanism breaks - it will fall. I like the sureness of egress and hanging of these though. The triple stand is crap (IMO) and probably the duo. But the singles are my fave.

Last edited by Ivan Lee; 05-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
It's been noted a number of times here that there was an issue with some older models, which were replaced as needed, and the later models modified to eliminate the materials causing the issue...

The previously identified issue was the "sticky" material problem, right? Is there a connection between that issue and the mechanical failure?
Old 05-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Nothing is perfect and nothing lasts forever...

That said, I've been using Hercules stands for many years. I've had a pair of triple stands for about 10 years now and they work just fine. The mechanism is the exact same as the single stands and wall mounts.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
[...no put back in guitar case... ]Lazy man's excuse. Takes less than 10 seconds to take a guitar out of a case, or put one back in - if 20 seconds makes that much difference to your playing habits.... Not everyone has full climate-controlled rooms, or a 100% safe place to keep guitars out (kid-free, pet-free, dust-free, direct sunlight-free).
Too lazy to take a guitar out of the case and put it back? Sounds like the makings of a poll. I venture that MOST people are like that. It's just enough effort to make folks not play. Having a guitar in a case totally removes the spontaneity of just reaching over and picking it up to play. I tend to play throughout the day. I'll also cycle through several guitars, basses, trumpets. They get played because their out. When my trumpet is in the case I will take it out because I have to practice something. I like having my instruments at my fingertips ready to go. Oh... And there are anecdote of folks getting their guitars dinged when the case lid falls on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Anyone looking for an alternative stand should consider the Hamilton KB-38. They were the stand to use before Hercules came along. In my opinion and experience they are still far superior to Hercules.
Personally I think that Hercules was designed with marketing in mind- and it's worked. Also the guitars on that double stand sit so high off the ground. No wonder there was a loud crash when the OP's guitar went for a tumble. Mine only sit a few inches off the ground.

I don't need no stinkin' wingy-thingys. Easy off, easy on. No worries about getting snagged on the way out or worried about the wingy-thingy's latching on on the way back in. Plenty deep. No gonna fall off. If you crash into it you'll take the whole stand out.... but the guitar isn't coming out on its own, with our without the mechanical wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7878.jpg (37.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7875.jpg (40.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Taylors_Epi_Color_SM.jpg (77.6 KB, 207 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 AM

I have had loads of the wall hanging ones. A few years ago I put my rick Turner back and heard a crack and plastic broke. Luckily I was was in my room so nothing fell. Contacted them and they were extremely embarrassed and sent me 2 new ones. They were really good to be honest. U contacted them?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
I think that it's nuts for people to leave them hanging on the wall, but to each their own. I would leave my guitar in it's case and not have the issue, but that's me.
I think the post was referring to an actual floor stand. I hate floor stands as they can be knocked over too easy...and now...apparently disentigrate. I use a wall hanger and have never had a problem over many years. It is screwed into a stud, it's not going anywhere...hopefully.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I always keep my guitars in their cases when I am not playing them. The stands that I like are the Starfish. They are a bit pricier but more stable than some others. Probably not as portable in that they don't fold down as compactly as the Hercules and are a bit heavier but since I don't gig that is not an issue for me. I mostly do not keep my guitars out or on wall hangers because I live in earthquake country and don't want to risk storing my guitars out of their cases. But this is another area where there are good choices at reasonable price points. Sometimes stuff just happens despite our best efforts.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 AM

I can't imagine keeping my guitars in the case. Maybe it's my ADHD or something, but when around the house I find myself grabbing my 000 several times a day just to play something that's on my mind or to noodle. I definitely would not be doing that if I had to take it out and put it back in every time.

My sig is shrinking as I have now sold my D18 and J45. Now down to a Yairi in the classroom and a SCGC at home. I am happy.
scott
Old 05-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

My choice for best stands.
I have 3 of them that have been faithful for over 25 years.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 PM

Unhappy Mine were defective too!

I purchased two single Hercules stands at least 8-10 years back. Both failed at the same time on the height adjustment clamp. First, the rubberized coating on the clamps became sticky. The hinged spring lever on the adjustment clamp eventually cracked and they wouldn't hold position any longer. Hercules sent out two replacements after I emailed them some pictures and the serial numbers from the label. Great customer service. The new ones seem fine, so I'm hoping the defect was corrected.

Svea
Old 05-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Hercules stands

IMG_0522 by steven montgomery, on Flickr

I have been using wall hanger Hercules for years
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion