The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Perhaps, but I say a guitar that is stored in a case is a guitar that doesn't get played a much as one that is on a stand.

You could always get this:

My guitars are in their cases, but in an open cabinet. For me, they get just as much play as they would if they were out on a stand. As do all my instruments. I do have one of the stands like in your pic, but a 3 guitar version. When I stop playing for a break, or I'm with a group and we take a break, guitars are securely set there until we resume. Love those.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 AM

The simple fact is that anything mechanical can fail. All equipment, ALL, needs to be checked regularly for wear, tear and potential failure. Even with excellent inspection techniques, failures can occur. I think the best take-away from this OP is to check your equipment. Any brand can fail. However, as several have said herein, if you case your guitar between or after use, the likelihood of a failure like this occurring is zero. The issue of "case bite" is purely operator error and easily prevented.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Ah, now I understand the point of failure. I have used the wall type Hercules guitar holders with no issues for more than a decade. By far the best guitar holder in my experience. And for the few out there that just can't resist their ardent comments, I, too, love my guitars.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-16-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-15-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I can see how a latch failure would cause the problem described by the OP, and I'd be as distraught as him if it happened to me...but it sounds like an rare occurrence to me...

I know a number of folks who have used this same double stand for years with no problem and I've used 3 of the single stands using the same latch for a number of years with no problems...

I wouldn't call the problem a design failure, or they'd all be dropping guitars all over world all the time...
Sounds as if you probably didn't consider the Ford Pinto fuel tank a design issue, either.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Sounds as if you probably didn't consider the Ford Pinto fuel tank a design issue, either.

Of course, the Pinto was a design issue.. gas tanks that could rupture on rear impact, bursting into flames and causing injury and deaths...

Once in a great while, a Hercules stand will fail, and let a guitar drop to the floor...

I think that about covers it...
Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

I have a single reclining stand that the height adjustment mechanism/handle is becoming sticky to the touch, which I guess might be the beginning of the "disintegration" mentioned?

I think I need to contact Hercules on this.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Hercules Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I'm pretty sure from the OP's description the stand was a double like the picture below.
The middle tube has an adjustable height controlled by a squeeze release type of latch circled in red.

The latching mechanism failed causing the center tube to drop under the weight of the guitar. Once the tail of the guitar hit the ground the headstock flip arms disengaged allowing the guitars head and neck to tip out and fall to the ground.

The wall hanger type of holders are not what is being described here.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure I wasn't the only one trying to understand the issue.

Wouldn't this also be an issue on the single stand? I'm sure it uses the same mechanism to adjust the height......?

I did have a couple of the stands with the "sticky rubber" issue a few years back and the folks at Hercules were great about replacing them.

I've never had an issue with one of their stands mechanically.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope the Martin isn't too damaged.

My take away (for me, I know, to each their own).....that's why my guitars are stored in their cases.
Another vote for "in the case". This is why my guitars live in their cases when I'm not playing them, the fall fear factor. Plus if there's a fire, I can grab and go.

Like the fellow says, to each his own, but I've never felt the need to display my guitars.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:53 AM

My guitars stay in their cases when not being played with the exception of gigging.
I use the Hercules double stand when on stage.
I have had mine for about 4 years with no failures however my band mate has the triple and the arms that hold the guitar in place sometimes work and other times don't.
His stand is a few years older than mine.

I used to use the cheap stands but after a wind blew my guitar over and caused damage to it, I switched to Hamilton stands.
Other guitars were on the Hamilton stands when my guitar fell and they withstood the wind without any problems.
These stands are more stable and distribute the weight of the guitar over a larger area.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the UK, and I have single, double and triple Hercules stands.

The two singles are fine, but the double and triple both have the 'sticky rubber' syndrome. Having heard the great service the US guys wo had this problem got from Hercules, I reported my problem to the UK distributor for Hercules. It took a month for them to reply, and they basically said, "We've never heard of that before, send us photos to prove it, and include your original receipts".

How do you photograph a 'sticky-feel'?

I gave up. No more Hercules stands for me.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Of course, the Pinto was a design issue.. gas tanks that could rupture on rear impact, bursting into flames and causing injury and deaths...

Once in a great while, a Hercules stand will fail, and let a guitar drop to the floor...

I think that about covers it...
I don't think it does...

Perhaps I misread you, but my take away from your posts is that you are suggesting that a once-in-a-while failure of a critical component IS a design flaw in the Pinto, but NOT on the Hercules stand.

While the stakes themselves are clearly [much] higher for the Pinto, in both examples there is a critical (to function) component that stops serving it's proper function, resulting in a highly unfavorable outcome.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Hercules recognized the issue years ago and took steps to fix it. They'll replace your stand if yours has the known problem. What more could you ask of them?

IMHO, they are a great company. Their current stands are well designed, rugged and trustworthy.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM

For me, a guitar in a case is a guitar that is safe and properly humidified. Mine come out of their cases for play and go right back into them afterward.

There's no concern with a guitar on a stand being played more often for me, the amount that I practice and play is a self-motivation issue.

On the contrary, almost every story you read online about a guitar being damaged or knocked over or falling off a hanger or whatever is... a guitar that was not in its case when not being played. The case takes away the chance of kids, pets, mechanical failures, nature, whatever, damaging the guitar.

They are sensitive instruments, for me, and should be treated as such. They are not wall art or part of an obstacle course for the cat or something for the dog's tail to knock over or for children to pick up and play with... Protect your valuable and beloved investments
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Default Pinto, getting sidetracked....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I don't think it does...

Perhaps I misread you, but my take away from your posts is that you are suggesting that a once-in-a-while failure of a critical component IS a design flaw in the Pinto, but NOT on the Hercules stand.

While the stakes themselves are clearly [much] higher for the Pinto, in both examples there is a critical (to function) component that stops serving it's proper function, resulting in a highly unfavorable outcome.
I respectfully disagree.

The Hercules issue appears to be a failure of the product during normal use.

The Pinto issue was only if it was involved in a severe rear impact incident. I don't see how that would be considered normal use.

BUT........... this is getting very far from the original discussion.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
For me, a guitar in a case is a guitar that is safe and properly humidified. Mine come out of their cases for play and go right back into them afterward.

There's no concern with a guitar on a stand being played more often for me, the amount that I practice and play is a self-motivation issue.

On the contrary, almost every story you read online about a guitar being damaged or knocked over or falling off a hanger or whatever is... a guitar that was not in its case when not being played. The case takes away the chance of kids, pets, mechanical failures, nature, whatever, damaging the guitar.

They are sensitive instruments, for me, and should be treated as such. They are not wall art or part of an obstacle course for the cat or something for the dog's tail to knock over or for children to pick up and play with... Protect your valuable and beloved investments
Ditto. 'nuff said!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion