The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Talking Bourgeois SJ (Small Jumbo)

I'm seeing if anyone is interested in selling their Bourgeois Small Jumbo. I'm mainly looking for a Adirondack/Madagascar combo but I'm open to something similar. Please PM details and asking price, Bourgeois SJ's only please.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bump to the top
Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Default SJ

Hi, I have a bourgeois German cocobolo SJ that I would part with. It’s a 2013. Excellent condition. I have it listed on reverb at 3999.00
AGF price = 3699.00
Let me know thx
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois SJ

2011 Bourgeois NAMM show macassar ebony and carpathian spruce, guitar and hsc are mint as new, guitar has sat in the case since forever and has no playwear or issues of any type .. I am original owner .. can email pics if interested, lemmeno .. standard SJ specs, although I did have Dana install a custom bone nut with slightly wider string space slots to mimic a true 1 3/4" neck nut string width instead of using the nut that comes with the SJ 1 23/32" nut .. the 1 23/32" nut is in the case and be reinstalled in about 2 minutes .. this is a $7,000 guitar today, $3,750 plus PP fees if used and shipping CONUS at cost ..
Old 06-29-2019, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman51 View Post
2011 Bourgeois NAMM show macassar ebony and carpathian spruce, guitar and hsc are mint as new, guitar has sat in the case since forever and has no playwear or issues of any type .. I am original owner .. can email pics if interested, lemmeno .. standard SJ specs, although I did have Dana install a custom bone nut with slightly wider string space slots to mimic a true 1 3/4" neck nut string width instead of using the nut that comes with the SJ 1 23/32" nut .. the 1 23/32" nut is in the case and be reinstalled in about 2 minutes .. this is a $7,000 guitar today, $3,750 plus PP fees if used and shipping CONUS at cost ..

Hummmmm.
So, you are implying that the neck size and shape on a DB-SJ, is always the exact same, (non-custom order)..... but the only actual NECK difference IS IF the nut slots and nut are slightly wider, vs, not as wide?.......But the NECK, the depth, width, and shape, are exactly the same, sans the nut(s)?
Are you sure about that?
Positive?
Old 07-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Dana Bourgeois neck widths and string slots ..

This Bourgeois SJ came with Dana's standard 1 23/32" neck and his standard spaced string slots at the nut .. comparing the "free space" outside the low e and high e strings on the 1 23/32" neck width versus "free space" outside low e and high e on other guitars that i own, including 1 3/4" wide necks, it became apparent that different luthiers cut string slots into their bone nuts at varying widths that only approximately mimic or mate to the neck widths that the bone nuts are inserted into .. in other words, I was able to ascertain that I could widen the string slots on this Bourgeois SJ and still have as much "free space" outside the low e and high e strings on the neck width as I had on a couple of my 1 3/4' wide neck guitars .. so even though Dana's neck at 1 23/32" is narrower than a 1 3/4" neck, I picked up a full 1/8" of string slot width from low e to high e and have a nut on this Bourgeois SJ that has as much "free space" on the neck outside the low e and high e as I have on other 1 3/4' necks with the same string slot width as what I now have on this custom nut on the Bourgeois SJ .. go figure .. I had this discussion with Dana's techie at his shop about not cutting the string slot spacing so wide that the low e and high e strings had buzzing or slippage over the sides of the neck and he worked it out just fine, picking me up 1/8" extra string spread and giving me the finger space with the left hand that you typically get on a 1 3/4" wide neck .. but on the 1 23/32" neck on this Bourgeois SJ guitar .. yeah, the arc of the radius curve on the back of Dana's 1 23/32" neck is logically 1/32" different than the radius arc curve on the back of his 1 3/4" neck, but only by 1/64" on each of the low e and high e sides of the neck .. imperceptible to me as far as noticing the radius back of neck differences, but major in left hand spread for chord formation or fingering with the left hand .. interestingly, the string spread at the center of the soundhole, where one typically lays fingerstyle with the right hand, is the same on all my guitars, no matter the left hand neck width differences between them or the left hand nut string slot spacing or the saddle string spacing on the guitar belly .. again, go figure ..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars