The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyboy2024 View Post
or double-sided tape was used instead,
Aha! Yes, tape'd K&Ks are weaker, much thinner/brighter, and basically sound pretty different (mostly in a bad way). That would explain your problem. Incorrect gluing could also have undesirable effects.

Glad to hear ToneDexter is working well for you.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Aha! Yes, tape'd K&Ks are weaker, much thinner/brighter, and basically sound pretty different (mostly in a bad way). That would explain your problem. Incorrect gluing could also have undesirable effects.

Glad to hear ToneDexter is working well for you.
Now I’m just trying to figure out if I should mess with reinstalling the pickup with glue. As I mentioned before, it’s nearly in perfect balance without any need for EQ, despite the loss of output. My other two K&K equipped guitars occasionally require some heavy-handed EQ in the bass and mids to sit right (but Tonedexter seems to be fixing this for me). I’m wondering if this taped K&K may be better for full band situations because of its lack of bloated bass frequencies, resulting in less feedback potential and standing out a bit better in the context of the mix.
“One who is content with what he has, and who accepts the fact that he inevitably misses very much in life, is far better off than one who has much more but who worries about all he may be missing." -Thomas Merton
Old 11-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Im using a K&K mini and a K&K FantaStick in Red Eye Twin preamp.
I notice volume difference in these 2 pickups (KK Fanta is much more louder then KK mini)

At first i had KK pure mini System with mic but it was unusable for live due to very high mic feedback in loud stages. So I sold it and bought FasntaStick instead, just to mix 2 pickups and FantaStick gives me more punch in bass.

Red eye preamps are also very good for KK pickups, but i saw Elite Acoustics Stomp mix 4 wich would allow me to have separate eq and all controls for each pickup plus i can add another guitar (yamaha silent nylon) to my shows amd have all connected to 1 pedal.

Any toughts?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

I’m late to this conversation, but I just thought I’d throw in the piece of kit I use for solving this kind of problem

I have a Source-Audio 4-Channel Programmable EQ pedal which gives me four separately EQ-able channels, each with its own gain, which can be stored and re-called according to which instrument I’m using. I take up to three instruments to a gig, I have the appropriate EQ and gain settings stored in channels 1 thru 3, and using one input cord (which I swap between instruments) and scrolling to the relative channel, I get instant EQ and gain adjustments.

The input impedance of the Source-Audio is 1megohm - perfect for the K&K - and the output from the Source-Audio EQ goes to my Orchid Muting DI (so I can mute the signal when I’m switching the cord between instruments).

A great piece of kit.

https://www.sourceaudio.net/programmable-eq.html

F40F44B7-0043-486D-B742-B4138637618D.jpg

C06CAADE-8CDB-4EC6-B8F2-F6C816F14E51.jpg

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 11-21-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:53 AM

This will probably get me banned from the forum, but I say go low-tech.

Mark your amp or mixer with tape with settings for each guitar. Adjust as needed.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-22-2019, 07:14 AM

It’s too late to recommend, but I have a K and K pure mini in one guitar and a JJB (same system) in another. If I had it to do over again, I would have put the JJB in both.
The JJB has lower out put and it sounds more balanced and natural. It does really need a pre-amp though. The K and K is very woofy in the lower mids and bassy.
As I said earlier, I’m going to attempt to address these issues using an MXR 10 band EQ. I’m not sure having any programmable EQ would be a good choice as every venue is different. Having the ability to EQ on the fly with a straightforward device seems more effective and easier. I can EQ one guitar with the MXR and the other with my Fishman Amp. Then, just by pass the MXR and use the other channel in my Red Eye Twin.
I’m going to audition this setup tomorrow. We’ll see.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification