The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
OP, I can relate to your position. I assume it isn't that you haven't enjoyed or liked a lot of guitars along the way, you just haven't found many that speak to you and are worth keeping.

I'm going to throw something out there, because I know how I am personally. I think that the joy of guitar for you comes from experimentation and not ownership. Sure, I'd love to find and keep guitars I love, but the joy and rush for me is the journey, not the destination. I have sold many guitars I have liked in order to try something new.

So, that is my advice. Keep your current guitars, and buy something that excites you right now in this moment. Once that moment has run it's course, move on to the next one...

Ummm...Shades...I think he has already done this very thing you suggest about what, 200 times before...

Whats gonna be different the next 200 times?...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-19-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Ummm...Shades...I think he has already done this very thing you suggest about what, 200 times before...

Whats gonna be different the next 200 times?...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
That's my point lol. There is no shame in continuing the cycle. I'm merely stating that perhaps the reason 200 guitars have come and gone is because he enjoys the chase more than the endgame. I know that if I was to stop researching guitars and buying and selling them altogether, I would probably get bored and stop playing guitar as much. It's part of the hobby to me. Heck, I haven't touched my electric guitar gear in years because I stopped buying and selling amps and pedals. I got bored with it and decided to take a break. Guess how many hours I've spent in the last year playing electric guitar....probably a cumulative of 1-2 hours max.

Granted, I realize the OP is wishing to break that cycle....but I'm just posing the question, "is the cycle really a bad thing if the cycle is what keeps a guitar in our hands?"
Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Just a quick response: I'm not necessarily looking for "the one", almost all the guitars I've had have been good enough to make me happy. I used to run through guitars very fast. Now I usually have 2-3 at a time and try something new every year or so. Though I would buy back the webber or the lowden I had, nearly all the guitars I've had have been replaceable- there are so many great ones out there. Now it's just a hobby. I wait til I find a great deal on something I'd like to try that I likely wont lose money on when I move it along.

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
Just a quick response: I'm not necessarily looking for "the one", almost all the guitars I've had have been good enough to make me happy. I used to run through guitars very fast. Now I usually have 2-3 at a time and try something new every year or so. Though I would buy back the webber or the lowden I had, nearly all the guitars I've had have been replaceable- there are so many great ones out there. Now it's just a hobby. I wait til I find a great deal on something I'd like to try that I likely wont lose money on when I move it along.
Nothing at all wrong with that, and sort of what I suspected. I'm very similar in that regard. You have had many much nicer guitars than I've ever tried, but there is always the new Taylor GP series
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Nothing at all wrong with that, and sort of what I suspected. I'm very similar in that regard. You have had many much nicer guitars than I've ever tried, but there is always the new Taylor GP series
True. How do u like yours compared to other Taylor's? I'm not super excited about larger guitars, in general. Less comfortable for a small guy to play...

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It seems like I've had way too many guitars, and yet I keep trying more. It's not primarily a dissatisfaction and a quest for the perfect one but rather just a love for the instrument and a joy in the experience of playing with different feels and sounds. I'm embarrassed to say that I've owned over 200 different acoustics... most I've liked a lot, some I've loved and some didn't do it for me. I'm currently considering trying something new but not sure what direction to go. Here's a bit about my guitar experiences. Maybe you can share some of yours, put yourself in my position and offer some advice.

I've owned 3 McPherson's. All time favorite was sitka grenadillo 4.5. Sound and playing was an experience unlike any other. I sold to finance mission trip. Another one would be out of my price range. However the experience was so great I'm considering one of their carbon fiber guitars.

I had a lowden o23c. Very unique sound that I loved. Didn't love the neck but could live with it. My dad has it now and I cant get it back. At least it's in the family. Wouldn't have sold it elsewhere. Strongly considering a lowden again, possibly a less expensive Sheeran lowden. I like the comfort ability of smaller guitars but hate the ones that are tinny with bad sounds. I like to strum often but not always.

I've owned 5 or 6 webber's. I love the newer ones. The older ones haven't had enough body to the sound. Favorite was an engleman coco roundbody. Shouldn't have let that one get away...

Had a goodall once. Didn't like neck or sound. Probably not fair to the brand.

I've had breedlove, martins and larrivees that were nice but didn't stick too long

A few hand builds that had nice tone but notes weren't crisp enough when strummed (that is important to me, I dont like muddy strumming)

I've owned many taylors. Appreciated them greatly but my all time favorite is my 1999 514ceab. I found it on craigslist for $600. It was cracked, gouged and frets were wore out from use. I had it repaired and revived and it always speaks back to me. I love the thin neck. Its playability is better than any guitar I've had. Tone is rich and full with great clarity. Responds well to strumming or picking. It's the guitar that has stayed with me and the one I pick up to play (only downside is Fishman pickup sucks)

My other acoustic is my fancy taylor bto. It is beautiful and impressive. has all bells and whistles visually and is a short scale. The Adirondack top gives it the best punch in tone I've had in a taylor. So much to love in this guitar. I'm not dissatisfied with it... yet I always pick up the 514 when I want to play (is there something wrong with me???)

So my quest (or question) is to seek out a guitar that I like like I like my 514 (ie I just want to pick it up and play it all the time) without replicating the 514. Maybe a new tonal experience that is lovely and different but the same ease and comfort in playing. I suppose my budget could be 2-4k. I know I can get into used lowdens, froggys, collings, webber's, etc at that price point. I'm not in a rush and perfectly happy with what I have, but always interested in conversation, advice and trying out new guitars.

Thoughts???
Have you considered a Zager?

'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
True. How do u like yours compared to other Taylor's? I'm not super excited about larger guitars, in general. Less comfortable for a small guy to play...
I genuinely think that most Taylor guitars sound great. I had an 814ce that was incredible, but I just personally prefer a more Martin-esque sound. I find the typical Taylor sound to be fine for strumming and chords, but the single note sound is thin and too brilliant to my ears.

The Grand Pacifics to me capture the woodiness and thickness of a Martin, but with the preciseness of a Taylor. They are definitely more along the lines of a Martin in sound, but I actually find the GPs to have more girth to single notes. What I love about mine is the volume and assertiveness. The sound is immediate and focused, but the reverberation in the soundhole is amazing.

Honestly, if I'm comparing to my D-18, the D-18's sound is almost like a mush of everything coming out of the soundhole. The 717 is immediately more 3 dimensional and I swear that I can almost hear the sound 12" in front of the guitar and the harmonics are swirling in the soundhole.

I apologize guys. I know I've been gushing about my 717, but there is so much to like about these guitars. If you can get past the fact that the low end isn't as present as a Martin Dread, then these are just about the woodiest, most natural sounding guitars I've heard (after you get the Elixirs off!)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Do not sell your BTO! Beautiful guitar, I love the appointments. The back and sides are gorgeous. Keep the 514, Buy a rosewood/spruce guitar and stop it already. If not, your hobby of buying and selling will stop you. Just in case, I have a 514CE with florentine, cedar top, Taylor 510 gold tuners, and sunburst top if you want to trade off that BTO. Just sayin.

Last edited by Audie; 06-19-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's what I like... tell me what to buy :-)
You're clearly bored with guitars. Buy a zouk instead.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If that's the case, buy any under-priced guitar you find. I don't think you'll really care who made it.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

If you like the 514 why not try a 714 with spruce and Rosewood

If you want “Like but not the same” you can try a Furch G model. In someways they have the Taylor pliability but still have a sound all their own. A Red G Cr (Cedar Top Rosewood back and side) might be different enough to to keep you interested for a good while if not for a lifetime
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-19-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OP, I can relate to your position. I assume it isn't that you haven't enjoyed or liked a lot of guitars along the way, you just haven't found many that speak to you and are worth keeping.

I'm going to throw something out there, because I know how I am personally. I think that the joy of guitar for you comes from experimentation and not ownership. Sure, I'd love to find and keep guitars I love, but the joy and rush for me is the journey, not the destination. I have sold many guitars I have liked in order to try something new.

So, that is my advice. Keep your current guitars, and buy something that excites you right now in this moment. Once that moment has run it's course, move on to the next one...
DEAD... ON!!!

I've had probably at least 200 instruments (electric/acoustic guitars, basses, ukes, mandos, manolas, keyboards, etc). I like to experiment. I like the inspiration and rush that getting/playing new instruments brings me. I make no apologies for that... even thought I've had more than a few people make snide remarks here and on other forums. I respect the hell out of people who find "the one" that satisfies and inspires them forever. I think that's cool as hell! But there's NOTHING "better" about that... versus someone who gets joy out of playing the field (in inanimate objects mind you), as long as they can afford it and it's not preventing them from achieving goals.

I have current favorites (some of which might even hang around a while), but no doubt there will be more coming and more going. It's all good.

P.S. I often tell my friends who marvel at my musical instrument-go-round... it's all just STUFF, I'm not married to any of it. When something stops moving me and sits unplayed, it's gone without a second thought or regret. I certainly do have a few regrets about "the ones that got away", but out of all the stuff I've had, those are few. On my death bed I certainly won't be wishing I'd have kept more stuff. They're all just tools/things. Relationships with loved ones matter and can't be replaced. Thinking about the great things I've had never brings a tear to my eye. Thinking about the people/pets that I love and miss dearly, often does.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:

So my quest (or question) is to seek out a guitar that I like like I like my 514 (ie I just want to pick it up and play it all the time) without replicating the 514. Maybe a new tonal experience that is lovely and different but the same ease and comfort in playing. I suppose my budget could be 2-4k. I know I can get into used lowdens, froggys, collings, webber's, etc at that price point. I'm not in a rush and perfectly happy with what I have, but always interested in conversation, advice and trying out new guitars.

Thoughts???
Good luck finding a used Froggy Bottom for under Four Grand. I did, but then again I bought mine back in the 1990s.

It sounds like you are more interesting in guitars to buy for extended test drives than in one that you might want to keep for 20 years. You really still don't answer the questions that several posters asked in your other thread. What woods, body designs, responsiveness, tonal qualities, etc do you like? Have you seriously considered what you are NOT looking for?

I know that you said that you had several hand-builds, which doesn't tell anyone much either. There is the hobbyist down the block handbuilt, and there is Roy McAlister/Marc Beneteau/Bruce Sexaur/Howard Klepper handbuilt. In other words, you might need to look north of four grand...
Old 06-20-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Good luck finding a used Froggy Bottom for under Four Grand. I did, but then again I bought mine back in the 1990s.

It sounds like you are more interesting in guitars to buy for extended test drives than in one that you might want to keep for 20 years. You really still don't answer the questions that several posters asked in your other thread. What woods, body designs, responsiveness, tonal qualities, etc do you like? Have you seriously considered what you are NOT looking for?

I know that you said that you had several hand-builds, which doesn't tell anyone much either. There is the hobbyist down the block handbuilt, and there is Roy McAlister/Marc Beneteau/Bruce Sexaur/Howard Klepper handbuilt. In other words, you might need to look north of four grand...

Sorry for the tardy response. My wife and I were traveling back yesterday from our 25th anniversary vacation. As the shirt says, "one women, many guitars"... and this one has been so supportive and encouraging of my guitar habit over the years-- she's my forever keeper ;-)

Also, one of our AGF members with an unbelievable collection of guitars that lives in my area has invited me over to play some of his so I can make comparisons- thanks, Grant!

As far as woods, I've always enjoyed cedar tops (on the guitars I could strum pretty hard and still get distinctive tones- which weren't all cedar tops). As for b/s woods, I love all the different sounds and have had guitars with tons of wood combos that I enjoyed, so I don't think it's one particular combo that "fits" me (am am a sucker for beautiful woods and shapes- I did have a Kronbauer once with florentine cutaway and a flamed myrtle back that looked like the eye of sauron- breathtaking! Corey in NY has it now. The strummed tone on that one was a little muddy for my liking and the neck was a little chunkier than I liked. I do love thin, smooth necks and a thick one wouldn't give me the ease of playability I'm looking for).

I've always liked the Taylor sound, quality and consistency. You pretty much know what you're getting. I also love the company, for a variety of reasons. Their 12 series has had too thin a sound for my tastes (the ones I've had) and the old jumbos weren't comfortable for me to hold. I prefer their 14 series size and a cutaway (on any guitar). For this purchase (if there is one) it would take a minor miracle for me to get another Taylor (I have, and have had, the best of Taylors, I think, and want to try either something new OR return to something I loved (Mcpherson, Lowden or Webber)

North of 4 grand isn't happening this time- 4 is a bit much (but there are some used guitars in the Lowden/Froggy/Collings/etc category that are in my range). I know there are some lesser known builders that are unbelievable and a great value, but I don't think I want to buy one without playing it first (and those ones are hard to sell without losing a bunch of $, if you want to move on)

For this one, I don't need bells and whistles, beautiful woods, cosmetic perfection. I'm looking for ease of playability (a guitar I want to pick up and enjoy playing without too much stress on my body or fingers) and a tone that speaks to me (that doesn't replicate what I already have or have had- excepting a Webber, Mcpherson or Lowden tone). My dad has a handbuilt Miller guitar that I always go to first at his house. It just has that "it" factor... ya know what I mean... (then I go to the Lowden and offer him good money for it that he'll never take ;-)). He's a great dad, who taught me to buy lots of guitars- it's just that he NEVER sells any of his (and now he has a room full of great, but overly neglected, guitars. BTW, he almost always plays his Webber first...)

I appreciate all the comments, wisdom, suggestions. Thanks to all!

Pete

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 PM

It seems like you like to lots of different guitars. Keep flipping!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion