The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 05:42 AM

Default Strings changing tone

This may seem like a strange question, and you might think I am imagining things, but I have noticed that whenever I change strings, (usually PB), no matter what gauge, there seems to be a transition time between the new string brightness and the more mellow tone which I prefer. To put it bluntly, in this transition time the tone seems crappy and dead. I notice this particularly on my fifty-year-old dreadnought, which has quite a 'woody' tone.
This transition period is short, and I just wondered if anybody out there has experienced the same thing---or is it just me?
Thank you in anticipation.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 AM

Another member recently confirmed your findings writing new strings go through three phases which I would summarize as too new to be good, expected sound and finally, dying.

I have been said that John Pearse do not need to age to sound good...
I will try them soon...
Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 AM

It isn't unusual; uncoated strings start to deteriorate and gradually lose their initial brightness from the day you put them on. For me there's a short optimum period with uncoated strings before they begin to die. I prefer coated strings for their consistency in tone.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 AM

My experience is that most strings are like this to one degree or another no matter the brand or material. The only strings I ever used that sounded pretty dang good from beginning to end are Newtone Heritage. While they are somewhat brighter in the beginning they very quickly transition to that "sweet spot" and remain that way longer than any other uncoated string I've tried.
I get similar results from DR Sunbeams, but they are brighter from the get go, the process takes a little longer and "that tone" doesn't last quite as long. Still, they are excellent strings for what they cost. Maybe it's the Round Core thing, I don't know

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Brand new, just changed - need a 'break-in' period. Depending on the strings, this can be a few minutes to an hour or more of playing. Then you've got the 'good sound' time, then finally the deteriorating period where they get duller, intonation goes off.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-06-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
This may seem like a strange question, and you might think I am imagining things, but I have noticed that whenever I change strings, (usually PB), no matter what gauge, there seems to be a transition time between the new string brightness and the more mellow tone which I prefer. To put it bluntly, in this transition time the tone seems crappy and dead. I notice this particularly on my fifty-year-old dreadnought, which has quite a 'woody' tone.
This transition period is short, and I just wondered if anybody out there has experienced the same thing---or is it just me?
Thank you in anticipation.
EVERYBODY has this issue. Some people prefer the brand new string sound and actually change strings BEFORE they settle in and mellow out. If I have a gig and need new strings I'm going to put them on at least 2 days before the gig and up to a week. I also experienced a set of strings that sounded like cah-cah for 10 days before they sounded like heaven. Hopefully I'll get a month or two of use before having to change again.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post

I have been said that John Pearse do not need to age to sound good...
I will try them soon...
I like John Pearse strings initially... but I found them to lose their optimal tone quickly which is why I no longer use them. The strings that took the longest to settle but sound the most amazing after are Straight Up Strings.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25 AM

There are hundreds of string posibilities.

Of those I have tried, the strings that exhibit a minimal of what you describe are Martin Retros, GHS Vintage Bronze, GHS Phosohor Bronze.

Another similar string is Throbak round cores.

There are many variables. What works for one guitar/person may or may not work for you.

True for all of us... All strings do this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion