The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
It was an impulse purchase. String spacing wasn't quite right. Don't get me wrong...it was a very nice guitar...just not what I was looking for I suppose? In hindsight I would have probably preferred it with EIR rather than mahogany? Beautiful build quality...Dana knows his wood. Enjoy yours!
1 23/32” nut width? Mine has that spacing and is a short scale too. My 810 has a 1 11/16” nut so I am pretty comfortable with how it’s laid out. I’ve saw a few of his Advanced Slope D models with rosewood and they sound amazing.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 04-18-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Always felt the slope shoulder was a much prettier guitar than the dread.
That being said, I'm a 000 and OM guy.
scott
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Always felt the slope shoulder was a much prettier guitar than the dread.
That being said, I'm a 000 and OM guy.
scott
Even though I deal with flatpicks every day, over the last ten years my playing has moved heavily towards fingerstyle, so I've become very fond of OMs and wider nuts. Also, I find slope dreads more versatile in this regard that square-shouldered guitars.

scott memmer
Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I love a lot of things about the slopes. I love the Gibson J 45 body. Nice and deep where you don't see it and the narrow upper bout gives the illusion of a smaller guitar. I love the SS tone. I love the round fretboard radius especially for fast chordage all over the neck. I love the quality wood that Gibson has employed. I bought another TV this week. It will be my third. I now have two. One with sitka and an incoming, one with Adirondack.

I also have a lifetime guitar. My 1999 J 45 rosewood (I call my Gibson Martin) It has the opposite pallette of the mid heavy mahogany. Super strong Travis lines and FAT highs. It is a guitar that is truly powerful and spectacular tone. My only vintage guitar is a sweet Country Western slope with Monels. I have bought and sold 50 acoustics. The Goodall's and Gibsons cover my limited musical territory.

I would love to get a 5 figure, MOD-D someday. Then I can join the darkside. Lurking with a modern tone machine. It's an upward, usable, tone slope.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
A musical with nothing but Meatloaf music should be against the Geneva Convention.

You have to realize that both Meatloaf and Jim Steinman were show people not rockers. So it's only natural for Steinman to be bringing it to Broadway.

It should have wrapping up in Philly soon but it's posponed on it's way to NYC. Waiting for it has me;

''shivering with antici........................pation!''

Sorry, wrong Meatloaf show! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the show!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I can’t even look at you right now... [shakes head]
Of the millions of words I've read today, your post is the funniest by a mile.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Scott,
I reckon everyone comes to his senses eventually. Even I did.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-20-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I played a j-15, j-45 and j-45 studio in the same room as the DSS-17. It was like baby toy poodles trying to take on an alligator!

One thing Gibson’s lack to me is volume. I love the tone of my J-45, but it is not a banjo killer at all. It’s full of nice lows and great mids, and it ready shines as a solo performance guitar. I can’t play it with others in a jam because I get drowned out. My daughter GS Mini sounds louder. It’s wild!

Love the sound and vibe of the J-45 though!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Both the J-15 and the J-35 are louder, if that interests you to check them out.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 AM

For something completely different, does anyone own or have tried the Waterloo Jumbo King? It is based on something different than the Gibson J-45, but not too different. I have had my share of -45s and -35s and an AJ, but my Waterloo outdoes all of them in terms of playability, volume, and twangy tone, and it looks the part as well.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
One thing Gibson’s lack to me is volume. I love the tone of my J-45, but it is not a banjo killer at all. It’s full of nice lows and great mids, and it ready shines as a solo performance guitar. I can’t play it with others in a jam because I get drowned out. My daughter GS Mini sounds louder. It’s wild!

Love the sound and vibe of the J-45 though!
Huh, I haven't heard this before. I wonder if others share that experience.

sm
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Huh, I haven't heard this before. I wonder if others share that experience.

sm
I'm actually back pedaling from my original sentiment that J-45s are not loud. I just took ownership of a D-18 last night and I can't say that it is that much louder than my J-45. It is definitely brighter and more clear sounding, but about as loud.

I'm learning that I think the culprit is my daughters GS Mini! That thing just seems so much more in your face and louder than my D-18 or J-45! It's unreal, but I'm sure that the explanation has something to do with the size of the guitar and the frequency range within a small room. I don't have the same problem in larger areas.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm actually back pedaling from my original sentiment that J-45s are not loud. I just took ownership of a D-18 last night and I can't say that it is that much louder than my J-45. It is definitely brighter and more clear sounding, but about as loud.

I'm learning that I think the culprit is my daughters GS Mini! That thing just seems so much more in your face and louder than my D-18 or J-45! It's unreal, but I'm sure that the explanation has something to do with the size of the guitar and the frequency range within a small room. I don't have the same problem in larger areas.
Got it, Shades. Thanks for clarification.

BTW, is that a new D-18, after the 2012 redesign? Those are really fine.

Take Care,
Scott
Old 04-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Got it, Shades. Thanks for clarification.

BTW, is that a new D-18, after the 2012 redesign? Those are really fine.

Take Care,

Scott

It is a 2018 model. I’m digging it!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
It is a 2018 model. I’m digging it!
Yeah yeah, what a guitar, Shades. Congrats.

True story. Whenever I go into a guitar store, I intentionally leave my wallet in the car. About three years ago I walked into McCabes here in Santa Monica and they had the sweetest D-18 in their high-end room. I mean, brand-new strings, perfectly set up, just dialed in. I literally ran out of there ASAP, got in my car and scrammed. I coulda afforded it, but I just have too many dang dreads.

Anyway, the follow-up to that story. Another forum member read my post and related that he was on a business trip out here from the East. I think he said he'd never been to McCabe's, so he went by and ended up playing the same exact guitar. Same reaction: he was floored. It had to be the same guitar, as that was one unique specimen.

He didn't buy it either, but whoever took that little lady home will keep her for life. It was THAT good.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion