The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM

I’ve never been a “Taylor guy,” but I’ve played a handful of Grand Pacific models in the past two months and have to say I’ve been very favorably impressed by them. In two different stores in two different states I’ve played both mahogany 517 models and rosewood 717 models.

Both times I’ve preferred the 517’s over the 717’s, but with large body guitars I tend to prefer mahogany over rosewood, so that preference is hardly a surprise. But it’s been consistent each time, with three different 517’s, so it isn’t an instance where one exceptionally good 517 skewed the data.

Anyway, I was impressed enough that I’ve been mulling over whether I can justify buying one. That’s definitely a change for me, because I’ve always been very Martin-oriented in terms of acoustic guitar tone.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM

BTW, did ya notice this thread is from last February?

It was hot for a couple days nearly 6 months ago, then sat stagnant until a few posts ago.

No big deal, the question is pertinent now as well.
I just notice such things.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’ve never been a “Taylor guy,” but I’ve played a handful of Grand Pacific models in the past two months and have to say I’ve been very favorably impressed by them. In two different stores in two different states I’ve played both mahogany 517 models and rosewood 717 models.

Both times I’ve preferred the 517’s over the 717’s, but with large body guitars I tend to prefer mahogany over rosewood, so that preference is hardly a surprise. But it’s been consistent each time, with three different 517’s, so it isn’t an instance where one exceptionally good 517 skewed the data.

Anyway, I was impressed enough that I’ve been mulling over whether I can justify buying one. That’s definitely a change for me, because I’ve always been very Martin-oriented in terms of acoustic guitar tone.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, your positive reviews of the GPs was one of the main reasons this Martin/Gibson guy gave them a try. Now I’m the delighted owner of a 317. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I am a Dreadnought NUT. Usually 30 or so at any given time.

I have several Taylor guitars but none of them are dreads The GP's released thus far lack dynamic range compared to much of my current stable so I am holding out for the 817 and 917.

Tone is subjective, dynamic range is not
Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
BTW, did ya notice this thread is from last February?

It was hot for a couple days nearly 6 months ago, then sat stagnant until a few posts ago.

No big deal, the question is pertinent now as well.
I just notice such things.
Yeah...I did. I used the search function to bring up Grand Pacific threads. I think this pertinent now as well. Thanks for noticing.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Default Everybody's got a different opinion

...which, really, is the way it should be.

Mine: I have a Martin, a Gibson and 3 Taylor guitars. I love 'em all. I don't require that my guitars sound a certain way. Each has their sound and I appreciate each for that sound.

You don't have to be a Taylor guy. Or a Martin gal. Or a Gibson whatever. It's perfectly fine to pick up each and appreciate its unique qualities.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I'm also a big fan of the newish Martin MLO neck profile with the PA taper...but I also liked the profile of the 717e neck. It was certainly more "full" than the Martin shape, and I had to adjust...but it was extremely comfortable. Has Taylor had this neck shape all along, and I have just forgotten...or is a new shape?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMEkneurauter View Post
I've been playing a 717e for the past couple of weeks and I've set my advanced jumbo aside. I threw some Santa Cruz mid tension on there and it got rid of the Taylor shimmer. You'll likely only try them in stores with elixirs - which are such a large component to the Taylor jangle.

Much warmer and rounder than any other Taylor I've played. Also can't beat the playability and intonation.
In so many cases where people say they don’t bond with the Taylor tone, it’s really the Elixir tone which some love and some don’t. Big difference when you change strings. You hit the nail on the head.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

So ideally one walks into their Taylor AD and asks to try the 517/717 but wants to try them with a set of __________ strings in lieu of the Elixirs which come on the guitar from Taylor?

The reason I pose this question is I want to try these two guitars at some point and don't want the factory strings getting in the way of what I might hear otherwise.

There's no doubt these guitars are beautiful and well built. For me it's all about how they sound. Are they a radical departure from the Taylor voicing that's been referred to previously in this thread? I want to find out for myself...but until then?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
So ideally one walks into their Taylor AD and asks to try the 517/717 but wants to try them with a set of __________ strings in lieu of the Elixirs which come on the guitar from Taylor?

The reason I pose this question is I want to try these two guitars at some point and don't want the factory strings getting in the way of what I might hear otherwise.

There's no doubt these guitars are beautiful and well built. For me it's all about how they sound. Are they a radical departure from the Taylor voicing that's been referred to previously in this thread? I want to find out for myself...but until then?
I have had my 517 for over a week and a half now and my intention was to change the Elixers out pretty much immediately. I still intend to do so, but it sounds just wonderful as is. And generally I change the Elixers off all of my guitars as soon as I can. So in this particular case I think the true tone of the guitar is coming out without me changing them out. Yet.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

My personal experience: No, not radical. Significant is the word I’d use. And that significant difference is notably increased when you swap out the Elixirs. Of course, YMMV, etc...

Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM

I've been gushing about my 717 lately, so I'll freely give you my experience!

I think all Taylor guitars sound good, but they just aren't my thing. I've owned a 110e, 214ce, 414ce, and an 814ce. I think that the 814ce was the most clear and bell-like guitar I've ever owned. But, I like a more mid-honky tone with some thickness to the individual notes. The 717 does exactly that, and is noticeably louder than my D-18. The crazy thing, is that it seems to deliver in low end the more I play it. I've never had a guitar that opened up this much so quickly. It's fantastic.

The GPs feel like a D-28 under the hood. What I mean by that is that they feel like the bracing is stiffer, perhaps more like a straight braced D-28. Sustain is great, and they are PUNCHY.

To everyone saying that the low end is lacking in these guitars, I would tell you to let it open up for a few weeks. Mine is really coming alive. I think that the low end is comparable to a straight braced D-28, which has less low end to me than an HD-28 or D-18 anyways. Powerful, but not as boomy.

Regardless of what any of us think. Try one. Unless you judge a guitar by the low end, you will be surprised.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Okay...I just called my local AD and he has both the 517 and 717 in stock. So I'll go play them first of the week. I may be putting the cart before the horse but just out of curiosity...what is the street price on each please? Many thanks...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay...I just called my local AD and he has both the 517 and 717 in stock. So I'll go play them first of the week. I may be putting the cart before the horse but just out of curiosity...what is the street price on each please? Many thanks...
Let us know what happens Llew. They look really nice and sound good in videos. I haven't spotted any by me yet, maybe Sam Ash.......

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-02-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m reviving this thread because I’m curious as to how Llew felt about the GP’s after playing them as planned.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion