The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default PETER OBERG - Classical (Western Red Cedar/Black Cherry)

Hi,

I have commissioned a classical guitar from San Marcos, CA luthier Peter Oberg (http://www.obergguitars.com/).

We don't see many classical guitar build threads here, so I thought that I would share this build with the forum. For those of you who don't know of Peter's work, he has been building classical guitars exclusively for >15-years. Before becoming an independent luthier, he was fortunate to have the opportunity to apprentice with two great luthiers: A year with Ervin Somogyi in CA followed by 2-years in WA apprenticing for Robert Ruck. Additionally, Peter also happens to be an accomplished guitarist which brings a player's perspective to each build. Peter's style of build is both traditional in some areas, yet modern in others.

Here is a recent profile on Peter in Guitarbench Magazine (Issue 7, 2013):

http://www.obergguitars.com/Guitarbe...er%20Oberg.pdf

Here are the preliminary guitar specifications:
Top: Western Red Cedar
Back: Figured Black Cherry
Sides: Black Cherry/Laminated with Port Orford Cedar
Finish: French Polish
Neck: Spanish Cedar
Fingerboard: Gaboon Ebony
Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood
Head-plate: Figured Black Cherry, Carved/Stippled Brazilian Rosewood
Rosette: Torres Tribute, Ebony & MOP
Binding: East Indian Rosewood
Nut/Saddle: Bone
Tuners: Rodgers L330 w/ Ebony Buttons
Scale Length: 640 mm (25-3/16")
Neck Width at the Nut: 52 mm (2-3/64")
Lower Bout: 370 mm (14-9/16")
Case: Hiscox Artisan
Here is the top that we chose for the guitar. It is Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata) that was harvested back in the 1990s. As you can see, it has lots of color variation, silk and is perfectly quartersawn. I suppose some folks wouldn't like the color variation in the top, but I do.

For the guitar's back and sides we chose a non-traditional domestic hardwood: Black Cherry (Prunus serotina). This particular set, shows some figure and will of course look much darker and richer with the application of some shellac.

Here is the cherry set with a little alcohol applied. You can see that it is beautifully quartered. The sides will likely be laminated with either Port Orford Cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) or Alaskan Yellow Cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis).

I will share more photos as they come.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 10-30-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Tuner decision, Case decision, one neck was enough, binding choice
Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great choice! Cherry and Cedar are a wonderful combination and I am sure you will love the results!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Indeed, what Tim said.
And just look at that insane top!
Ah, wood envy...the 8th deadly sin.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
And just look at that insane top!
Ah, wood envy...the 8th deadly sin.
No kidding, that top is incredible.......glad I don't know what do do with the wood, or I'd have to have a stockpile for myself. I have to rely on getting a trip into Tim's wood room once in a while!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Tim/Steve...

Picking the Black Cherry for the back is a bit of a "leap in faith" in that I have never played one. I am a big believer that influence on sound is made in this descending order:

1) The Luthier
2) The selection of the top wood
3) The selection of the back and sides

Most importantly, my luthier sees potential in these two pieces used together. Other than my archtop which is Bigleaf Maple, all of my other guitars have backs and sides made from glassy, dense tropical species, so I am looking forward to the change. It seems that luthiers are the biggest fans of domestic species and clients rarely select them when given the option. Some luthiers seem to like Cherry and others think its dead sounding.

I know it to be a medium density, medium-high stiffness wood with moderate damping similar to Bigleaf Maple, Black Walnut or even some Mahoganies. My expectation is that it should have an open quality, with good separation and a rich, projective midrange with balanced trebles and bass. I am hoping the the euphonic sweetness of the Western Red Cedar is a good combo with the Black Cherry. I also think his use of laminate sides (typically a cypress like Port Orford) and large solid poplar linings all influence the contribution of the side wood to boot.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 08-03-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks Tim/Steve...

Picking the Black Cherry for the back is a bit of a "leap in faith" in that I have never played one. I am a big believer that influence on sound is made in this descending order:

1) The Luthier
2) The selection of the top wood
3) The selection of the back and sides

Most importantly, my luthier sees potential in these two pieces used together. Other than my archtop which is Bigleaf Maple, all of my other guitars have backs and sides made from glassy, dense tropical species, so I am looking forward to the change. It seems that luthiers are the biggest fans of domestic species and clients rarely select them when given the option. Some luthiers seem to like Cherry and others think its dead sounding.

I know it to be a medium density, medium-high stiffness wood with moderate damping similar to Bigleaf Maple, Black Walnut or even some Mahoganies. My expectation is that it should have an open quality, with good separation and a rich, projective midrange with balanced trebles and bass. I am hoping the the euphonic sweetness of the Western Red Cedar is a good combo with the Black Cherry. I also think his use of laminate sides (typically a cypress like Port Orford) and large solid poplar lining all influence the contribution of the side wood to boot.
Congratulations and enjoy the custom build journey! You're in very, very good hands with Peter - he builds world-class instruments. I owned a 1983 Eric Sahlin with laminated sides and like most Sahlin guitars, it was amazing. Keep us posted!

Fred
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Fred...

I have heard nothing but superlatives about Eric's guitars (I think he has a 9-10 year wait list). You said "owned" so I assume that you sold it. I am obviously curious as to why? PM if you are more comfortable discussing it privately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Congratulations and enjoy the custom build journey! You're in very, very good hands with Peter - he builds world-class instruments. I owned a 1983 Eric Sahlin with laminated sides and like most Sahlin guitars, it was amazing. Keep us posted!

Fred
Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thank you Fred...

I have heard nothing but superlatives about Eric's guitars (I think he has a 9-10 year wait list). You said "owned" so I assume that you sold it. I am obviously curious as to why? PM if you are more comfortable discussing it privately.
No problem discussing on the forum at all. The 1983 Sahlin I owned for a while had lived a very, very hard life before reaching me. Unfortunately, it had been severely abused by a previous owner, but with restoration help from both Eric Sahlin and Marcus Dominelli, that old Sahlin came back to life, played beautifully, but it definitely was scarred, nicked, and was not very pretty. I had the guitar for about a year and it was at a point when I was still finding my "nylon" groove. I sold the Sahlin to fund another classical purchase, but I have still have fond memories. In 1983, was building more of a Rodriguez style body and he his current guitars are built more on a Hauser plantilla. So, that's my Sahlin story! Here are some photos...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Interesting...thanks for sharing.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Great to have a classical build thread, and that cedar is simply magnificent. It just glows! Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to further posts

Col
Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Great to have a classical build thread, and that cedar is simply magnificent. It just glows! Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to further posts

Col
Thanks....Here is another shot of the top set showing its coloration and silk.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Update No. 1a

Resawn ebony for rosette blanks

Gaboon Ebony being edge glued (interesting use of wedges for clamping)

Port Orford Cedar (actually a cypress) has tremendous stiffness for a low density wood. Here are the inner sides wrapped in paper before bending.

Here are the Black Cherry sides after scraping in preparation for bending.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 08-15-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added an explanation
Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Update No.1b

Gluing the back reinforcement strip (love the wooden cams).

Planing and profiling the cross-grained Honduran Mahogany back reinforcement strip.

Note the profile of the back reinforcement strip.

Chiseling out the back reinforcement strip for back braces.

First back brace on (Note glue fillet).

Portable go bar deck with go sticks clamping braces.

Last two Port Orford Cedar back braces being glued.

Here are the Black Cherry and Port Orford Cedar Sides before lamination.

This is Peter's lamination setup.

More when I get it...

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 08-15-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM

This is going to be fun to watch. What is the ebony for?

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking very nice - and great choice on the tuners!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop