The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Ryan wants to make an eniterly new bowl out of ebony and maple strips, somewhat like a lute.
can you build 2? i think ebony/maple strips would be great, and look great, although i think the plastic bowl would sound pretty good as well (which was the original intent).
Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I can admire the artistry. Frankly, it would be hard not to, especially as I have several custom Ovations.

But I can do without the Ovation Bashing.
Patch...there is more to the story and "Ovation bashing!"...sometime in the late 80s me wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said an Ovation Classical Guitar - she went to the guitar shop and they said, you don't want a (spit, spit) Ovation, you want a good classical guitar and they proceeded to sell her (and she gave me) a (spit, spit) Takamine Classical...which, while an adequate classical guitar wasn't the Ovation I wanted...so years later, we have this project...getting even with my wife listening to guitar store types!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM

For the..."Ryan wants to make an eniterly new bowl out of ebony and maple strips, somewhat like a lute."...let's save the original rosette to use on that one! Hee hee...
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Patch...there is more to the story and "Ovation bashing!"...sometime in the late 80s me wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said an Ovation Classical Guitar - she went to the guitar shop and they said, you don't want a (spit, spit) Ovation, you want a good classical guitar and they proceeded to sell her (and she gave me) a (spit, spit) Takamine Classical...which, while an adequate classical guitar wasn't the Ovation I wanted...so years later, we have this project...getting even with my wife listening to guitar store types!

when i was younger, i longed for an ovation classical. seemed like the perfect guitar. i eventually wound up with a takamine hirade classical, which i still have, and is a very fine guitar which i appreciate more as i experience more guitars. i also used to have a ovation seel string which i liked for years but eventually gave away for a number of reasons. if you had an ovation classical it might put your desires to rest...
Old 12-10-2011, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
For the..."Ryan wants to make an eniterly new bowl out of ebony and maple strips, somewhat like a lute."...let's save the original rosette to use on that one! Hee hee...
Oh, let's!

Great idea, but take care.... You see where these ideas tend to go.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Actually, Ken... "just could not think of someone who played the classical model"

...Glen DID play a classical model on occasion (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC8by...eature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbmLI...=related)...he, in fact, is the reason I wanted an Ovation classical to begin with...watching him play one ... and the fact I'm into oxymorons and figure an Ovation Classical is the ultimate guitar oxymoron!!
Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 AM

whoa! that rosette is amazing!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 AM

i love the fish one
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
can you build 2? i think ebony/maple strips would be great, and look great, although i think the plastic bowl would sound pretty good as well (which was the original intent).
Only if we get to hand deliver, MC.
Sounds like you live in a little bit of paradise.

Steve

P.S. thanks again all for your encouraging remarks.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM

MC "when i was younger, i longed for an ovation classical. seemed like the perfect guitar." Hey, maybe all of this will make Steve and Ryan THINK they actually LIKE changing tops on Ovation classicals...and you, too, can have one! You'll just have to keep the (now) tradition of over-the-top rosettes going!

Steve hasn't yet mentioned the important thing...what IS the top? Port Orford Cedar!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, yeah, top shmop.
Everyone knows the sound is in the back/sides.

Steve

Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Steve, have not tried the velcro (anti-slip for bowl) but then again i have not had trouble with the bowl. I don't have too much of a gut that would make it more difficult and i play mostly standing up. And even when i play sitting, i kind of tilt the guitar towards me (my version of a 'bevel') - comfortable. YMMV

TuckerRE, i did not know Glen played a classical Ovation. All images (TV and print) i had seen of him were him with a Baladeer. But then again back then (before YouTube, Internet, and laptops) i lived overseas so what i saw was very limited. For me, it was Jim Croce that got me interested in Ovations - first time i saw an acoustic with built in pickups.

Steve, as to binding ... it depends. If you kept the Lyrachord bowl (black) then a nice contrast might be maple. But if the bowl is made of strips of maple or other woods then another type of wood binding might be better. For bindings i like the wood look. But in some instances a ivoriod binding might be the best - IMO. I guess i am no help .

Ken
Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
Steve, as to binding ... it depends. If you kept the Lyrachord bowl (black) then a nice contrast might be maple. But if the bowl is made of strips of maple or other woods then another type of wood binding might be better. For bindings i like the wood look. But in some instances a ivoriod binding might be the best - IMO. I guess i am no help .

Ken
Thanks Ken. Bob has fallen in love with curly maple bindings. Perhaps that is the way to go. They would look great.

Steve

Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 AM

The curly maple thing is all Ryan's fault! But yeah, I am in a bit of a rut...but do love 'em! We're not going with Paua around the body right?! Hee hee...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
The curly maple thing is all Ryan's fault! But yeah, I am in a bit of a rut...but do love 'em! We're not going with Paua around the body right?! Hee hee...
Yeah, I doubt that last one. But I'm up for the maple, Bob.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop