The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

View Poll Results: How to you ike the visual aspect of Pernambuco?
I LIKE the way Pernambuco looks 129 63.55%
I do NOT like the way Pernambuco looks 68 33.50%
The look of Pernambuco is a DEAL-BREAKER 9 4.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM

The time will come when Pernambuco will be the highest appreciated guitar wood.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:09 PM

My bias is for the best tone and most stability in wood. Having never heard pernambuco but relying on your say-so, I'd be interested in using it myself.

But the reality is that people seem to like flashy stuff. The fact that many builders are now using BRW flat-sawn stump wood is one example. So, I would think that pernambuco would be a bit on the hard sell list - even if it is the best sounding and most stable wood in the world. (We all know that "best sounding" is subjective and we also know that the majority of guitar buyers probably don't know what a truly great sounding guitar even sounds like)

I've also seen posts here that refect the fact that many people like what's familiar and yellowish, golden colored wood doesn't fall into that catagory.
So that's strike 2.

I suppose strike 3 would be if no other builders started using it to bring it more into people's consciousness.

Jim McCarthy
Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I've also seen posts here that refect the fact that many people like what's familiar and yellowish, golden colored wood doesn't fall into that catagory.
So that's strike 2.

I suppose strike 3 would be if no other builders started using it to bring it more into people's consciousness.

Jim McCarthy
Good points, Jim, but I think there are some facts that cut the other way.

Re 2, Pernambuco is not a yellowish, golden colored wood like many North American hardwoods. It is not at all bland. It is a rich, chatoyant orange overall, with a variety of other colors that are seen when looking close up; it slowly turns darker and redder with age.

Re 3, So far as I know there have only been two sources of the wood (for guitarmakers) in Brazil, and the supply there is limited to older down logs and old house beams. But the wood that has come into the US has gone mostly to elite builders. Jim Olson has some, and so does Kim Walker. Paul Reed Smith has some neck stock. I believe Wayne Henderson may have a few sets, too. Ervin Somogyi has expressed an interest in getting some from me and trying it. So it's never going to be on the wall at the Guitar Center, but it doesn't need to get into the consciousness of the mass produced guitar market. It will only be available from a limited number of hand builders, but among them are a group at the very top of our profession. I think that should be sufficient to make its reputation with buyers who seek the best in custom built guitars.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
...The fact that many builders are now using BRW flat-sawn stump wood is one example. ...
I feel compelled to point out that some so-called stump wood has straight grain and some wood farther up the tree can be highly figured.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:49 PM

There have been a couple comments on the thread describing how difficult it is to accurately describe the tonal qualities that best articulate pernambuco. Would a good recording demonstrate this difference? Is anyone on the thread in a position to do this?

In terms of looks - personally I am in the 'it isn't bad looking' crowd - and for some of the sets I actually think it is pretty nice looking.

And if the tonal difference is as significant as Bruce, Howard and others indicate, I'd be more than willing to buy a guitar made from it... Given my practice time constraints I need all the help I can get :-)
2008 ARK Cutaway
Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eportman View Post
There have been a couple comments on the thread describing how difficult it is to accurately describe the tonal qualities that best articulate pernambuco. Would a good recording demonstrate this difference? ...
I don't think so. Can anyone, upon hearing a recording identify, with a meaningful degree of certainty, whether the guitar was made of mahogany, rosewood, maple or any of the more exotic woods? Even if the recording were especially accurate, playback equipment and room acoustics could easily alter the tonal quality captured during the recording.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I feel compelled to point out that some so-called stump wood has straight grain and some wood farther up the tree can be highly figured.
Yeah, you're right. It seems no matter I say I always leave something out.

Jim McCarthy
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Good points, Jim, but I think there are some facts that cut the other way.

Re 2, Pernambuco is not a yellowish, golden colored wood like many North American hardwoods. It is not at all bland. It is a rich, chatoyant orange overall, with a variety of other colors that are seen when looking close up; it slowly turns darker and redder with age.
I didn't know that. I've seen pernambuco in bows and always assumed that it was a different specie as it was usually much darker.

All the photos of pernambuco I've seen online remind me of S.A. satinwood, which is quite goldenish.

JM
Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I didn't know that. I've seen pernambuco in bows and always assumed that it was a different specie as it was usually much darker.

All the photos of pernambuco I've seen online remind me of S.A. satinwood, which is quite goldenish.

JM
You will only occasionally see a natural color pernambuco bow. Most bowmakers use dye or chemical stain to darken them. But there is only one pernambuco species.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
You will only occasionally see a natural color pernambuco bow. Most bowmakers use dye or chemical stain to darken them. But there is only one pernambuco species.
Thanks for that. I'm surprised to read that most bows are dyed.

jm
Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eportman View Post
There have been a couple comments on the thread describing how difficult it is to accurately describe the tonal qualities that best articulate pernambuco. Would a good recording demonstrate this difference? Is anyone on the thread in a position to do this?
This clip is from a cd that was just released where I used my Sexauer WRX-P guitar on a number of cuts.

During the recording the engineer on the session remarked that in his opinion this guitar needed absolutely nothing in terms of eq or compression..it just sat in the mix perfectly...and the mix engineer said the same thing...

This clip features the guitar pretty much by itself at the opening and continues to sit perfectly as a few more instruments and a vocal enter...I think it very accurately demonstrates what a Pernambuco guitar sounds like.....

http://nancywalker.net/downloads/All...-wood-demo.mp3

LC

Last edited by lclyman; 12-11-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclyman View Post
This clip is from a cd that was just released where I used my Sexauer WRX-P guitar on a number of cuts.

During the recording the engineer on the session remarked that in his opinion this guitar needed absolutely nothing in terms of eq or compression..it just sat in the mix perfectly...and the mix engineer said the same thing...

This clip features the guitar pretty much by itself at the opening and continues to sit perfectly as a few more instruments and a vocal enter...I think it very accurately demonstrates what a Pernambuco guitar sounds like.....

http://nancywalker.net/downloads/All...-wood-demo.mp3

LC
Larry the clip sounds great! Thanks for posting!
2008 ARK Cutaway
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM

The mp3 has 2 acoustic guitars: the first one panned hard R an the second that comes in more L around 0.19. I assume that the Sexauer is the first R channel guitar? The 2 guitars sound v diff but that may also be recording tehnique. Are they both the Sexauer?

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
The mp3 has 2 acoustic guitars: the first one panned hard R an the second that comes in more L around 0.19. I assume that the Sexauer is the first R channel guitar? The 2 guitars sound v diff but that may also be recording tehnique. Are they both the Sexauer?

Hans
Hi Hans,
Yes, the Sexauer Pernambuco guitar is heard first in the right channel...and that's a John Greven 000-28 (mahogany/lutz spruce) coming in on the left channel...an acoustic guitar match made in heaven if you ask me...

That's my wife, Nancy Walker, playing that part and eventually heard on vocals as well...

Her primary guitar is usually a Goodall 000 12 fret, a wonderful sounding guitar, but this particular tune required her to play a part up the neck that was a bit difficult to reach on a 12 fret neck...an area easily accessible on the Greven...and a better match for the track in any event...

The recording technique was the same...no smoke and mirrors...just a very good mic, a well played part, and a good song...pretty much my standard modus operandi when I'm in the producer's chair...

And here is a shameless promotion if you are curious about the rest of the music...that CD has just been released and is available at this website.

Thanks for the question,
Larry

Last edited by lclyman; 12-13-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 AM

What a wonderful recording! Please tell Nancy how much it was enjoyed! In addition to the talent displayed by both of you - the guitars sound awesome.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop