The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 PM

Just watched that and wow sounds awesome. Can’t wait to try the FG3
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM

So, the not-wood but looks-like-wood pickguard! What to think.

What is the material, exactly, used for the pickguards we see on all those $3,000-plus beauties we see listed in the signature lines of so many of our AGF members? What goes on those Gibson Doves, the Seth Avett Martins, the fabulous Collings, and all the others?

Are they something other than some polymer plastic?

What exactly is tortloid, or whatever it's called, used by the custom pickguards that come from those whose praises we sing here on the forum?

The Holter I put on my D-18: what is it if not plastic?

This wood-look one used on the 5-series Red Labels: has Yamaha done this well, with a thru-color material and a subtle texture that emulates wood with realism?

The closeup photos seem to say so.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Very nice demo.
The L series don't appear in many stores. I wonder if the Red Labels will be on display at Guitar Center and other stores.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
So, the not-wood but looks-like-wood pickguard! What to think.

What is the material, exactly, used for the pickguards we see on all those $3,000-plus beauties we see listed in the signature lines of so many of our AGF members? What goes on those Gibson Doves, the Seth Avett Martins, the fabulous Collings, and all the others?

Are they something other than some polymer plastic?

What exactly is tortloid, or whatever it's called, used by the custom pickguards that come from those whose praises we sing here on the forum?

The Holter I put on my D-18: what is it if not plastic?

This wood-look one used on the 5-series Red Labels: has Yamaha done this well, with a thru-color material and a subtle texture that emulates wood with realism?

The closeup photos seem to say so.

It looks a little bit like laminated wood or formica that my carpenter uses for my kitchen cabinets. It doesn’t look ugly but it would have been better if there wasn’t a pickguard. But I won’t risk taking it out in case it spoils the top wood. Still an impressive guitar nonetheless.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My FGX5 is not slated to ship until 6-28. Kind of a bummer about the pickguard. Are the bone and saddle true bone?
I keep looking to see if yours arrived and associated review you might give. Hope it gets to you without any issues and proves to be everything you expected.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 07-03-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
I keep looking to see if yours arrived and associated review you might give. Hope it gets to you without any issues and proves to be everything you expected.
Gonna be a while Ionger it seems. Now not slated to ship until August.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Sweetwater has pricing shown at their site, so it goes like this: $800, $1,000, $1,200, and at the top $1,400.

The $200 jumps are interesting. The first jump gets you the base model with the pickup added.

The second jump elevates you from base model to top trim. Thus either body shape no-electrics are $800 base, and $1,200 for top trim.
Going from MIC to MIJ will give a significant jump in quality and be well worth that price. I might have a hard time paying $800 for a MIC, esp sight unseen, even if it were a Yamaha. But a MIJ for $1200? Very nice.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 AM

My FSX3 will be here today.. I actually thought I was ordering the FGX3 but in my heist I screwed up the order. I mean when I saw they were in stock at Sweetwater I couldn't wait to hit the button...
Oh well as I said before you never know I might like the smaller-bodied Yamaha
Old 07-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Gonna be a while Ionger it seems. Now not slated to ship until August.
So sorry to hear that. But on the bright side, you'll be getting a hand built guitar from your favorite maker.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM

I ordered the smaller sized Japanese version w/ pickup. I can't wait to play it.
I got a LS-16, 3 years ago, and much to my surprise it became my gigging acoustic. It has the best sounding amplification system I've heard.

I don't see a downside in ordering a Yamaha, sight unseen. Like PRS guitars.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
So sorry to hear that. But on the bright side, you'll be getting a hand built guitar from your favorite maker.
😎 thank you. I needed to hear that.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I ordered the smaller sized Japanese version w/ pickup. I can't wait to play it.

I got a LS-16, 3 years ago, and much to my surprise it became my gigging acoustic. It has the best sounding amplification system I've heard.

I don't see a downside in ordering a Yamaha, sight unseen. Like PRS guitars.

The MIJ FSX5 is a great guitar! I got my FS5 w/o pickup slightly more than a month ago. Awesome guitar. I think you’re gonna love it!
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
My FSX3 will be here today.. I actually thought I was ordering the FGX3 but in my heist I screwed up the order. I mean when I saw they were in stock at Sweetwater I couldn't wait to hit the button...

Oh well as I said before you never know I might like the smaller-bodied Yamaha

Let us know soon how you and your new guitar are getting along?
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Let us know soon how you and your new guitar are getting along?
Well it is a small guitar and no Yamaha Magic can make it sound like a dread or Jumbo but it has its own voice and im going to play the heck out of it before monday and decision time. It has a nice tone, not as complex as i like but i feel its getting better as i play it or my ears are
Build is beautiful , and feels like a $1000 dollar guitar, solid, not like the 800 series which i like also, this one is just more robust
The guitar pickup probably needs a preamp or my Mudig amp sucks or needs charged after 7 months lol
Case is a heavy duty well padded soft case
As i said Monday is the dead line on whether i keep it and exchange for a FGX3 or LL-TA
Old 07-05-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Well it is a small guitar and no Yamaha Magic can make it sound like a dread or Jumbo but it has its own voice and im going to play the heck out of it before monday and decision time. It has a nice tone, not as complex as i like but i feel its getting better as i play it or my ears are
Build is beautiful , and feels like a $1000 dollar guitar, solid, not like the 800 series which i like also, this one is just more robust
The guitar pickup probably needs a preamp or my Mudig amp sucks or needs charged after 7 months lol
Case is a heavy duty well padded soft case
As i said Monday is the dead line on whether i keep it and exchange for a FGX3 or LL-TA

Go for the size you prefer. Sounds like a Dreadnought is in your wheelhouse. Then either a FGX3 or FGX5 would be good for you. LL-TA is solid rosewood b/s?....so it also depends on whether you’re going for Mahogany or Rosewood b/s. I used to own a LS16 with rosewood b/s...but I’m more of a Mahogany guy...for now at least.
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion