The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 AM

I like TBman's suggestion....Although it is great that she is connecting with the music, I assume the sing a long is for a "group" of kids who would also like to connect with the music in some way. Maybe she could be involved with one or two songs but the rest maybe just listen and enjoy the songs that way.

We have friends with an autistic child(pretty severe) but he does listen to his parents....just has to be reminded.

I do like the shaker idea as well
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
I’d probably let her sing out and play as loud as she wants. If she’s on the autism scale you should be thrilled that she connects with you and that she’s sharing herself. Hell, I’d let her take the solo and let her rip.
This! ^ You are doing something wonderful for her. My hat is off to you.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 AM

Rubber guitar picks.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/wed...SABEgK-DfD_BwE
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 AM

Electric guitar/headphones

Put a strip of felt between the strings and saddle. If she complains about it being too quiet, explain that it might seem quiet to her, but it is still loud for the audience because the sound hole is facing them.

Tune her guitar to an open chord. At least then it might blend in with the song better. Use capo to change keys. Or show her how to change chords by just barring different frets.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:53 AM

I would caution everybody to not equate autism with intelligence or inability of desire. Some of these suggestions assume the girl won't understand that her guitar doesn't sound the same. She might know what is happening and even figure out why.

Tap some local experts. There may be a way to help her understand. Showing her some extra attention won't hurt. Show her how to form a simple chord.

I am not no expert at all. No formal training. I have spent a great deal of time with persons with disabilities, one sort or another.

People can surprise you.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 AM

Get her a banjo!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion