The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default McPherson 5.0XP: Will a LR Baggs Anthem (full version) fit?

Title says it all. Mostly concerned with the soundhole preamp part. Not the undersaddle braid. To save some time, here are some notes.
  • I know the SL will fit. I like the full version better.
  • I asked McPherson and they believe it will fit.
  • I asked LR Baggs and they don't think it will.
  • I've looked around on google and found 1 picture of someone who has one in the Mcpherson.
  • I haven't found any other forums talking about it.
  • Yes, I want the anthem....not the SL, not the Lyric, not K&K lol

Please let me know if you have any ideas or if you've seen it in there. Most likely I will just buy the anthem and just see. If not, sell it off. Figured I would bring it to the community table first.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 AM

Default My McPherson...

Hello Matt83yl -

I have a McPherson 5.0 Cedar/Rosewood; had it for the past 10 years.

I wanted to install a dual pick-up system in mine - a K&K and an AKG 516 mic to run through a Pendulum SPS-1 preamp.

I spoke with 3 different luthiers in the Milwaukee area (90 miles from my location), and none of them was willing to undertake the installation; all 3 of them came highly recommended by people "in-the-know" of all things re: luthiers. They indicated it was just to difficult to do.

I finally called the McPherson shop, and they recommended a luthier in Ironwood, MI (120 miles from my location) who did not hesitate to do the install. He had previously worked for McPherson for a number of years.

I am so glad I did it...My McPherson not only sounds wonderful unplugged, but also plugged in!

I would encourage you to call McPherson's and ask them if they could recommend anyone close (???) to your location. As well - I know in the past, McPherson's sometimes installed pick-up alternatives for customers at their shop; don't know if they still do.

Hope this helps - you have a great guitar!

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc... View Post
Hello Matt83yl -

I have a McPherson 5.0 Cedar/Rosewood; had it for the past 10 years.

I wanted to install a dual pick-up system in mine - a K&K and an AKG 516 mic to run through a Pendulum SPS-1 preamp.

I spoke with 3 different luthiers in the Milwaukee area (90 miles from my location), and none of them was willing to undertake the installation; all 3 of them came highly recommended by people "in-the-know" of all things re: luthiers. They indicated it was just to difficult to do.

I finally called the McPherson shop, and they recommended a luthier in Ironwood, MI (120 miles from my location) who did not hesitate to do the install. He had previously worked for McPherson for a number of years.

I am so glad I did it...My McPherson not only sounds wonderful unplugged, but also plugged in!

I would encourage you to call McPherson's and ask them if they could recommend anyone close (???) to your location. As well - I know in the past, McPherson's sometimes installed pick-up alternatives for customers at their shop; don't know if they still do.

Hope this helps - you have a great guitar!
Thanks. I can install pickups. That's not my worry. My main question is that the preamp on the Anthem was made to fit inside a normal sound hole. I'm wondering if that preamp will fit inside the McPherson soundhole or if anyone has done it. If it doesn't fit, then it doesn't fit. I won't mess with the structure of the guitar to make that pickup preamp fit. Just curious if anyone else has used that specific pickup in a McPherson.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM

Maybe ask Juan John @juanjohnmusic . He is an AGF member, McPherson endorsed artist and uses Anthem pickups in his McPhersons. He may have some insight on this topic.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! sent him a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Maybe ask Juan John @juanjohnmusic . He is an AGF member, McPherson endorsed artist and uses Anthem pickups in his McPhersons. He may have some insight on this topic.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Wondering what the outcome of this was? I just purchased my first Mcpherson. It’s a 2013 and has the 3V element. I spoke with Mcpherson. They said they have an updated 9v version they are now using that has more output and has a tweaked eq for their guitars. I’ve been debating on either going to that or putting in a full Anthem. The guy I play with just put an Anthem in his Martin HD28 and it sounds amazing. So in short...
Will it fit?
If it does and you did it, how’s it working?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-06-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt83YL View Post
Title says it all. Mostly concerned with the soundhole preamp part. Not the undersaddle braid. To save some time, here are some notes.
  • I know the SL will fit. I like the full version better.
  • I asked McPherson and they believe it will fit.
  • I asked LR Baggs and they don't think it will.
  • I've looked around on google and found 1 picture of someone who has one in the Mcpherson.
  • I haven't found any other forums talking about it.
  • Yes, I want the anthem....not the SL, not the Lyric, not K&K lol

Please let me know if you have any ideas or if you've seen it in there. Most likely I will just buy the anthem and just see. If not, sell it off. Figured I would bring it to the community table first.
Yes it will fit the mcoherson as I have installed a few before on Mcpherson. Plus it will sound exceptional with the full anthem system..

all the best

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion