The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-07-2018, 09:34 AM

Default How is the neck relief of today's Peavey Cargos?

I am considering to add a Cargo (or an OX) to my Rainsong CH-OM and I would like to ask all forum members who own a recent Cargo and/or OX if they had any problem with the neck relief ? I am asking because I like quite straight necks with minimal relief, this is how I set p my Rainsong and it plays perfectly with low action and no strings buzz. But CA guitars do not have a truss rod....
Thank you for your answers !
Gerardo
Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

I have a 2015 Carbon Burst Cargo, the neck has been perfect (for me) with no adjustments. Low action with no buzzing or other problems. It's a wonderful guitar.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Guest 928

I had an original CA Cargo and a Peavey Cargo. The Peavey did not have any of the problems sometimes associated with the CAs and the set up was low without any buzz. The Peavey Cargo is a great instrument.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:30 PM

The short scale Cargo was never an issue for neck relief even for the original CA as I remember it. No doubt the CF rods Peavey added to all the models can't hurt.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Never an issue. My tech set her up perfectly. A truss rod would have been more helpful, but she plays just great!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-07-2018, 04:15 PM

Jon,
Didn't know that Peavey Cargos have a carbon fiber rod inside the neck. But... isn't the WHOLE neck made of carbon fiber ?...
Old 12-07-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
Jon,
Didn't know that Peavey Cargos have a carbon fiber rod inside the neck. But... isn't the WHOLE neck made of carbon fiber ?...
The neck could be epoxy cut with a filler (plain epoxy is too expensive and probably not as hard as it would be with an additive such as silica) wrapped in CF soaked with epoxy like a RainSong. It might also be hollow like the construction of the body. All of this is impossible to know without dissection :~).

My guess is it is hollow and was not quite as stiff as they needed for full scale guitars with light or heavier strings. The easiest way to make it stiffer and not disturb the rest of the manufacturing process too much must have been to add reinforcement via precast CF rods or bars. I am aware that Blackbird has mentioned doing something similar for some of their older models no longer in production. Luthier's Mercantile stocks this kind of product for wooden guitars.

However if you run across a pre-Peavey CA guitar and the neck looks right there is no reason to prefer the new design. Think of the bars as adding design margin that they did not know they absolutely needed for any particular guitar until the guitar was strung up and too late to fix.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber