The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Default Yamaha TransAcoustics

Anyone tried ones of these? I played one a few weeks back and I thought it was pretty cool. Don't know why no one thought of doing this years ago. I immediately thought of the many many times I played in parks back in the late 60's and early 70's. Trying to impress girls.

THIS would have been very impressive!

The technology is not cutting edge really. A small circuit board and a actuator (essentially a small speaker sending the waves back to the sound board).

It works amazingly well. The reverb and chorus work very very well.

Pretty cool.

With the link below go to the bottom of the page and you can hear Normal (and BTW, it is a nice sounding guitar on its own), Reverb, Chorus and Reverb + Chorus. All without an amp. It sounds very natural.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ies/index.html

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 09-21-2018, 12:44 AM

I kinda love these guitars as heard on the videos I've watched. Haven't played or heard one for reals. The first video is interesting to me because that's exactly how I like to play my guitars, home alone. And the guy is digging the varied sounds the guitar is capable of producing, by himself, in a contemplative manner. The reverb sounds so dramatic, love that!

The Transacoustics look good too. Hm...I think I know what I want for Christmas!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 AM

I've tried a few of the TA's and they are magnificent! I am torn between my trying to save up for a standard Martin or Taylor OR getting yet another "medium" class guitar like a TA.

They sound and feel wonderful in the room and the way the reverb vibrates in your hands I just love it! ... And yes those are actually pretty good guitars in their own right - even without the electronics!

I especially like the LS-TA in natural colour. The FS and FG on the other hand are not really for me - probably as all mahogany doesn't suit my ears...

Reason why I haven't bought one is in part due to my contemplation as mentioned above and also some kind of nagging doubt that this still could be some kind of emperor's new clothes... Will I still fashion it in a couple of years? And will I end up just trying to save batteries - never turning on the electronics... That's who I am...

... BTW the "looks like my dad" guy in the Yamaha videos also looks very much like enjoying the guitar in same way I usually do it myself.

Go play one if You get the chance!!

Last edited by AllanAnd; 09-21-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: ... Spelling/typo
Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 AM

I think these are spectacular. I truly could not believe what I was hearing and the volume really sets it off in a larger room. Great tech but yamaha has always been the leader in this type of innovation.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM

It is new technology. The actuator stimulates the wooden back of the guitar to act like a speaker to deliver the effects.
It is a beautiful sounding guitar. With the actuator, it's pretty heavy though. I play it a lot without the effects, not to save batteries.
The dad in the promo video could have walked around the house and had the same fun with a Martin and a Yamaha THR5A portable acoustic amp (I'm getting one). Probably the same total weight.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanAnd View Post
I've tried a few of the TA's and they are magnificent! I am torn between my trying to save up for a standard Martin or Taylor OR getting yet another "medium" class guitar like a TA.

They sound and feel wonderful in the room and the way the reverb vibrates in your hands I just love it! ... And yes those are actually pretty good guitars in their own right - even without the electronics!

I especially like the LS-TA in natural colour. The FS and FG on the other hand are not really for me - probably as all mahogany doesn't suit my ears...
Me to. So I just bought one. I drive down the West Coast to visit friends in California regularly. I go for about three weeks in my van, taking my time camping along the Oregon coast. I do not like bringing my Beneteau or Kronbauer; the Beneteau is Brazilian rosewood. The LS-TA will be wonderful. Sure, it is NOT as good as the Beneteau or Kronbauer - actually not even close. But, it plays very nicely, and the extra sounds I can get with the reverb and chorus will be fun.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Oh, imagine if you could hook it up to a Tonerite and break in the front and back of the guitar at the same time.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Oh, imagine if you could hook it up to a Tonerite and break in the front and back of the guitar at the same time.
Well, the L-Series use "A.R.E." (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement ). And I have to say, the LS-TA does NOT sound like a brand new guitar.

Listen to the difference in tap sounds.

https://www.guitarworld.com/acoustic...-tone-new-wood

How much of this is hype? I do not know. Probably some.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 PM

I enjoy playing mine. Every day. Just wish it wasn't so heavy.

Currently fingerpicking Ashokan Farewell, chorus at 50 percent, reverb at 75, volume at 75 also. Perfect for up in the choir loft of a small country church.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM

I can understand the appeal, but the TA isn't my thing. I think playing for a few kids in a college dorm would be cool. But in my mind the concept itself devalues the instrument. But that's me. I can't even bring myself to electrify my '72 D35.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 PM

Default Yamaha TransAcoustics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I enjoy playing mine. Every day. Just wish it wasn't so heavy.

Currently fingerpicking Ashokan Farewell, chorus at 50 percent, reverb at 75, volume at 75 also. Perfect for up in the choir loft of a small country church.

Yes I've had my LLTA nearly for a year now use it live in church and totally love it it sounds and plays just as good as my guitars that cost ££ more . The only downside is that it is heavy for an acoustic but it's a small price to pay . I play mine quite a lot with all the effects turned off or Reverb at 1 o'clock and chorus at 12 o'clock . Set up out of the box was perfect and I use EJ16s on mine tried 80/20s but a bit bright for my taste . One other point this guitar just loves being capoed and sounds great used around the second or third fret . I'd love to see Yamaha bring out a solid wood CFS 3 with the Transacoustic unit fitted would be the ideal live guitar for me
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-22-2018, 12:58 AM

Quite agree that it IS a bit heavy. When I switch between it and the Kronbauer, the Kronbauer seems like a cloud; mind you it is a fingerstyle dream. The heaviness is a bit of a drag, but that is why I went with the smaller body. It does not SOUND like a small body.

I like it. A lot actually.

Good to hear that EJ16's are good. They are my go-to strings. Although I will of course try a few just to see what other strings sound like. To me, the cost of trying various string on a new (to me) guitar is a very small price to pay for finding what sounds good. The Elixir it came with are OK, but I am not a huge fan of Elixirs.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I have the cheaper FS-TA that just came out a few months back. I absolutely love it. Also sounds fabulous through my Loudbox mini charge. This is my go-to guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion