The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Default NGD: Guild F-130

Recently picked up a F-130 on Reverb. Amazing seller, nice to talk with, shipped fast so it got out before the hurricane (was from NC), and arrived well. It is a second, has used stamped into the headstock back. Best of knowledge is a finish blem according to the seller. Can’t find anything wrong with it (save a couple of dings in the top I’m sure are from use ).
It has a beautiful grain in the spruce top. Though I would have loved a burst, the grain I thisnmakes natural play. The mahogany on the back is matched so well is hard to find the center seam. It has a 3d like effect to the wood grain pattern, and looms pretty spectacular. I’d eventually like to change the pickguard to a tortoise color, but it doesn’t look horrible with the black. I threw on some bone with abalone pins I had, look much better than the plastic it came with to my eyes. I like the inflated rosette. The fretboard on this particular one has. Nice striping to it. The tuners are passable and hold tune, but an upgrade would be nice. Something smoother. Love the feel of a satin neck, and this one is wonderfully smooth and has no sharp feet ends. Also, came with the original TKL case, which is a beautiful burgundy lined case with an arched top to it.
The tone is wonderful. I can feel the vibration while playing it. It’s responsive and snappy, and amazingly well balanced. Being used to a dreadnaught there’s less bass than I’m used to, but the bass balances extremely well with the mids and highs. It has a very pleasing tone and works great for singing and harmonizing. The body size is amazingly comfortable for sitting on the couch, much better than my dreads. I played with a capo up to the fifth fret and it surprised me with how well it is intonated. Didn’t have any issues with tuning, even capoed or playing higher up.
All in all I would have loved an F-30, but I will likely be keeping this little guy for a very long time. For $325 shipped it is an absolute steal. The price also means I won’t be upset when it gets a few more marks and some wear and tear. Another great Guild to call my own!

Pictures, or it didn’t happen?

'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 PM

Nice! I love my F-30 Std. But the import versions are among the best of the all solid imports, and represent great value. That is a lot of guitar for what you paid for it.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:50 PM

Good for you!
I think you will be very pleased with that guitar. They are quite well made, sound good and they look good. Enjoy.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

THAT guitar in THAT case for $325 SHIPPED?

Nice score! It's a beauty!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Paris, That IS a steal! You scored. Great looking guitar and nice review. What is the lower bout width and depth? I’d love to read an update after you’ve played it for a while to see if it’s opened up.

This is very likely my next guitar. I’d love an older F30 but they are a bit pricey or need neck/bridge work. And then I’d be hesitant to take it out. For an all solid wood OM size of this build quality a good F130 is darn hard to beat.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

It seems the Asian-made Guilds are almost without exception very nice guitars that are loved by their owners. My former GAD30PCE, was a sweet little thing, now lovingly adored by my brother. If they could just get the prices down some on the USA models they could...dare I say it? (adapting a quote from "Help!") rule the world
Old 09-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Very nice guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-23-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Paris, That IS a steal! You scored. Great looking guitar and nice review. What is the lower bout width and depth? I’d love to read an update after you’ve played it for a while to see if it’s opened up.

This is very likely my next guitar. I’d love an older F30 but they are a bit pricey or need neck/bridge work. And then I’d be hesitant to take it out. For an all solid wood OM size of this build quality a good F130 is darn hard to beat.

So far I’d say you can’t go wrong with one. I love it played fingerstyle, strummed with my fingers, or using a pick gently on it. It has a very sweet and even tone, with a nice response to touch. They definitely did a great job with the finishing of the instrument, it plays, sounds, and looks fantastic.

Here’s a link to the specs:
http://guildguitars.com/g/f-130/

Lower width is 15.25” at 4” deep.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Thanks everybody! I do think it was a complete steal at that price. I found why it was a second (I believe). There’s a small blem under the clear coat near the end pin jack. It’s discolored a bit in a couple inch line. If I put a strap on it’d be totally covered. Also not worried since it obviously doesn’t affect how it plays or sounds!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Nice find.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 PM

The used stamp does indeed make it a "2nd" that was sent back and resold. The torn label inside shows someone tried to remove the sticker strip that had the new serial number from the reseller that Fender used to sell off the guitars. But...I have heard a LOT of stories of very small and hard to find reasons these guitars were sent back. Most of them are great looking and sounding. You won't have the full Guild warranty, but, if it's built like it looks, you'll never need to have the warranty.

That was a GREAT price !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I am totally in love with my F130-Rce. Great underrated guitars.

Enjoy!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion