The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2018, 01:50 AM

Default Have you sold your wood guitars yet?

I just dropped my Martin HD28e retro and Breedlove Oregon Myrtlewood off at the guitar shop for them to flip. I can think of 10,000 reasons to go grab them back before they get sold off at horrifying losses, but none of them seem to counterbalance the fact that I haven't touched either one of them since I got my Sable in February.

So... any balking that I'll want the tone, the variety, the feel, the etc..... it's all just talk unless I actually got them out of their cases. Which I didn't.

Anyone want to help me through this difficult time? Have you sold or started selling yours? If not, why not?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:16 AM

No...not the Martin!!

'
'
'

I mean uhhhh .... nice play I say...I only have a couple cheap wood guitars left and I don't play them...did use one about 6 months ago for a prop at a photo shoot though so it got some use.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-03-2018, 05:09 AM

All my wood acoustic guitars with solid wood tops and one all solid wood are gone.
Parting with them was no problem for me.
I'm happy they are gone, and wish I had done it sooner.
No more concerns with temp and humidity issues, Hallelujah.
Only four all laminates remain and of course the carbon fiber acoustics.
I may eventually sell the laminates, but the carbon fiber acoustic are keepers.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 09-03-2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2018, 06:15 AM

I sold my last wood acoustic guitar, a Martin D45V, in 2007 (it was a CA Dreadnought that convinced me it was close enough and so much less trouble).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-03-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Sold the OM28 when the Emerald came along, but have no intentions of parting with the SCGC D12, it still gets played and offers some variety, I'll keep the dread jr. too.

Doubt I would buy another woodie though.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Not at all... don't think I'll ever do that, unless I move to Alaska. I like having the best of both worlds.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I have a second Emerald Custom Woody on order, an X7. By all accounts it should be spectacular.

One of the two guitars I currently have below will go on the chopping block once the X7 arrives. I'm horrified daily trying to figure out which one stays and which one goes. I play both daily. I love both. There are valid, great arguments for keeping each over the other. It's nearly a dead even heat, hence my trepidation. It's going to come down to after I get the X7 in my hands and then A/B/C'ing the three.

Both the current guitars share many positive attributes that make them keepers. So it's going to come down to the differences between the two. While it would be nice to have all CF guitars and not have to worry about environmental concerns ever again (not to mention neck resets, bridge re-gluing, easily dinged wood, etc.) it's still very nice to have something completely different than the other.

Having one CF and one wood guitar makes for a nice variety. It's why I constantly alternate between the two. I much prefer the Martin when playing unplugged. It's lighter and louder. When plugged in the X20 is THE go-to guitar every. single. time.

But I'm assuming that the X7 is going to be so similar to the X20 other than the smaller body size that there will not be enough difference to alternate between the two. For this reason the Martin has the slightest edge right now of being retained.

So if you've been thinking about ordering a custom X20 woody you might want to wait a bit. There might very well be one for sale here at a significant savings from new and with a much shorter wait time.

If it ends up going that way I'll be giving all my friends here an early heads up before it goes on sale publicly!!

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-03-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have a second Emerald Custom Woody on order, an X7. By all accounts it should be spectacular.

One of the two guitars I currently have below will go on the chopping block once the X7 arrives. I'm horrified daily trying to figure out which one stays and which one goes. I play both daily. I love both. There are valid, great arguments for keeping each over the other. It's nearly a dead even heat, hence my trepidation. It's going to come down to after I get the X7 in my hands and then A/B/C'ing the three.

Both the current guitars share many positive attributes that make them keepers. So it's going to come down to the differences between the two. While it would be nice to have all CF guitars and not have to worry about environmental concerns ever again (not to mention neck resets, bridge re-gluing, easily dinged wood, etc.) it's still very nice to have something completely different than the other.

Having one CF and one wood guitar makes for a nice variety. It's why I constantly alternate between the two. I much prefer the Martin when playing unplugged. It's lighter and louder. When plugged in the X20 is THE go-to guitar every. single. time.

But I'm assuming that the X7 is going to be so similar to the X20 other than the smaller body size that there will not be enough difference to alternate between the two. For this reason the Martin has the slightest edge right now of being retained.

So if you've been thinking about ordering a custom X20 woody you might want to wait a bit. There might very well be one for sale here at a significant savings from new and with a much shorter wait time.

If it ends up going that way I'll be giving all my friends here an early heads up before it goes on sale publically!!
Boats often have navigation equipment redundancy. The saying is: "If you want to know exactly where you are, use a GPS. Add a second GPS and you'll know approximately where you are. Add a third..."

So, you have two guitars you really like... and your solution to which to send packing is to add a third? Yeah, that sounds like the words of a man who is on the way to being a guitar hoarder.

Here's something to help with the wait: What if you like these two more than the incoming X7??

Evan and I will be offering counseling.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
All my wood acoustic guitars with solid wood tops and one all solid wood are gone.
Parting with them was no problem for me.
I'm happy they are gone, and wish I had done it sooner.
No more concerns with temp and humidity issues, Hallelujah.
Only four all laminates remain and of course the carbon fiber acoustics.
I may eventually sell the laminates, but the carbon fiber acoustic are keepers.
This, except I have no laminates either. The GS Mini and Martin 000-15M both left the fold once I got the Cargo on the wall with no worries. May be a Rainsong in my future...
Old 09-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Working on it but will hang onto my Taylor 524 First Edition....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-04-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:57 AM

No way.

Just picked up a Martin a couple of months back

Rainsong still gets more play. What's up with that?
Old 09-03-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
No way.

Just picked up a Martin a couple of months back

Rainsong still gets more play. What's up with that?

It's a four letter word....Life.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been meaning to have a cull for a while, and the impending X20 has spurred me into getting started.

First on the block was a beautiful Rickenbacker 330/12, which I bought 5 years ago. I hardly ever played it, though, so it left the building last Friday.

Up next will be a couple of lap steels - again, purchased several years ago, and rarely played. There are a few other motley bits and pieces which will either be sold or donated - a Martin LX1, Fluke ukulele, Gretsch Way Out West, and a couple of other acoustics and electrics.

But the best wooden guitars are going nowhere. My Martin 0-16NY and Rickenbacker 650D will never leave - owned for 34 and 17 years, respectively.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Boats often have navigation equipment redundancy. The saying is: "If you want to know exactly where you are, use a GPS. Add a second GPS and you'll know approximately where you are. Add a third..."

So, you have two guitars you really like... and your solution to which to send packing is to add a third? Yeah, that sounds like the words of a man who is on the way to being a guitar hoarder.

Here's something to help with the wait: What if you like these two more than the incoming X7??

Evan and I will be offering counseling.
Jim - you are NOT helping, not that that is in any way surprising!

As a Navy guy, always ALWAYS having a backup is ingrained into me. Another reason for keeping the X20 since it's SO similar to the X7. But the Martin has a K&K so it can be used as a backup if needed. And since the X7 with K&K will be pretty bulletproof the only way it needs a backup is if it gets stolen or run over by a truck.

Believe me, I've wondered about that last part but again since the X20 and X7 will be so similar (same neck length and carve, same pickup) I fully expect the X7's smaller size and lighter weight to win the direct combat between the two CF's. Plus the X7 will be new AND has some stunning new features that will make it the prettier of the two, at least in theory.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:44 PM

I don't think this is going to happen (but I've learned to never say never). I just played my Halcyon OM for a while, and it still puts a big smile on my face every time. The Eastman E6OM... maybe, but it sounds really good for some of the music I like to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber