The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 04:57 AM

I have found that some dealers simply don't want any more used or consignment inventory, and the come up with all sorts of excuses to say no. Perhaps they don't want to have less expensive guitars competing with their brand new offerings. I rarely find a dealer who is actually eager to buy or consign my instruments, even top brand guitars like Santa Cruz. I actually had a dealer reject a mint Collings uke - I suspect because they had a bevy of new Collings selling for ever so much more. He told me 'we don't sell anything at that price point.'

I agree, get them checked out by a luthier, and then sell them youself.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCigueno View Post
I rarely find a dealer who is actually eager to buy or consign my instruments, even top brand guitars like Santa Cruz.
This has been my experience also. Dealers tend to reflexively comment on possible problems -- most likely because profit margins are already reduced with a used guitar. This may particularly be the case if you are using the used guitar as part of purchase towards a new guitar -- they essentially have to sell a guitar twice to cover the cost of their new guitar, as one dealer put it.

Santa Cruz does have the reputation for light builds that dealers are aware of. I once asked a dealer if there were any issues with living above 7000 ft in the Rockies and caring for guitars, and the response was no, but I wouldn't recommend a Santa Cruz.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

zmf, lol at the dealer that told you high altitude would be bad for a Santa Cruz. Dude was clearly over oxygenated

This wive's tale about Santa Cruz structural problems induced by being underbuilt has been debunked many times over.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-19-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
zmf, lol at the dealer that told you high altitude would be bad for a Santa Cruz. Dude was clearly over oxygenated

This wive's tale about Santa Cruz structural problems induced by being underbuilt has been debunked many times over.
I wasn't suggesting there was really a problem -- just that some dealers may have this perception.

I recently had a luthier give my SCGC VS a ten-year checkup, and -- outside of an inconsequential torque in the neck -- it got a clean bill of health.

That said, the VS is quicker to respond to changes in humidity than my other two guitars, so more care may be needed -- and that's not an old wives' tale.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
I wasn't suggesting there was really a problem -- just that some dealers may have this perception.

I recently had a luthier give my SCGC VS a ten-year checkup, and -- outside of an inconsequential torque in the neck -- it got a clean bill of health.

That said, the VS is quicker to respond to changes in humidity than my other two guitars, so more care may be needed -- and that's not an old wives' tale.
So why did you say you wouldn't recommend a Santa Cruz?
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
So why did you say you wouldn't recommend a Santa Cruz?
????

Guess I should have used quotes in my previous post.

The sentence started with "I once asked a dealer...."

Santa Cruz seems to be my favorite brand -- I'd take one to the International Space Station.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

zmf, yes the very real effect of living at altitude is more the possibility of rock bottom humidity. I do control room humidity but my Santa Cruz VS is getting ready for its first winter at 8500 feet so we'll see. It makes sense that a Santa Cruz would react more to humidity changes than more heavily built guitars.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
... my Santa Cruz VS is getting ready for its first winter at 8500 feet so we'll see.
You might check on the following. The most pronounced effect I've seen is, if the VS is left in the case continuously for +7 days with an Oasis stick and damp sponge, it will often tune a little sharp -- as though it's been luxuriating in the humidity and swelling a bit.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Call Richard Hoover, founder of SCGC.

(831) 425-0999
Old 09-19-2016, 02:16 PM

Sounds to me like the dealers you talked to knew very little, if anything, about SC guitars. As mentioned, they are lightly built and have a bit of curvature built into the top to add structural strength. They have no more "issues" than comparably built boutique guitars.

I have had several SC guitars (still have an OM/PW that's now ten years old and trouble free), all bought used, and only one with any issues at all. That was an older F model that had spent several years in a case under a bed in a heated apartment with no attention paid to potential humidity issues. When I got it, it had been dried out for some time. No cracks or loose braces at all, but the fret ends were sticking out beyond the fret board and the action was high. A little time spent with the wizards at Gryphon in Palo Alto and all was good again. No big deal.

Because of the light build, they will react more quickly to extremes of humidity than say, an overbuilt Martin or Gibson, so they take a bit more care. But, that's true of most any lightly built boutique guitar.

The rumors of SC's having issues because of their light build are just that, rumors and old wives tales. I've never come across anyone who actually said that they had personally had any problems with their SC that was due to their design and/or construction, but I have seen that repeated several times as if it were truth. I once got into a discussion with a guy on the UMGF, a grasser, who insisted that if you played an SC hard it would implode (makes one wonder then why one of SC's most popular models is the Tony Rice). I asked him if he had ever personally had that happen. Well no, and he admitted that he had never actually owned or played one. I then asked him if he had ever known of anyone else who had that happen. Well no, but he had heard... And so it goes.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I own two Santa Cruz guitars, an OM/PW and an FS. Both are in great shape and sound fantastic. They are not exhibiting any abnormal bellying in the top.

My experience mirrors the other people here on this thread -- which has been quite positive relative to SCGC.

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2016, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the info guys! I realize now that there is a definite depreciation factor that I am not willing to give up, primarily because I really love the guitars. I have decided to keep them and wait a little longer to get my "dream" guitar.
2013 Martin 000-28
Ramirez R1 Classical Guitar.
1976 Martin D-18
And More
Old 09-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstream View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I realize now that there is a definite depreciation factor that I am not willing to give up, primarily because I really love the guitars. I have decided to keep them and wait a little longer to get my "dream" guitar.
What's your dream guitar? I only ask because you already have many of my and others dream guitars.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
What's your dream guitar? I only ask because you already have many of my and others dream guitars.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

I have owned these brands of acoustic guitars:

Santa Cruz
Martin
Taylor
Guild
Mossman
Ovation
McPherson
Washburn
Gibson
Bourgeois
Collings
Yamaha
Cervantes
Seagull

My Santa Cruz guitars have never needed neck resets and never any structural abnormalities.

Santa Cruz Guitars are not mainstream and widely available, thus some incentive for "some" to come up with folk stories to diss the competition. Santa Cruz' business model is not to dominate marketshare. They strive to the best at what they do and satisfy themselves to please customers who share their vision of tone, quality and customer service after the sale.

They build VERY NICE guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion