The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Shape, size and wood for archtop guitars

As you may have noticed, I've made some other enquiries about archtop guitar construction and have maybe gotten enough encouragement to dive in.

That has lead me to think about the size, shape and the wood the top is made of.

Seems like an archtop ought to be about 17" at the lower bout, but I wonder... what are the effects of making it larger or smaller?

So, what about the shape...

I love the sound that comes from a small jumbo flat top guitar, is there a reason to not make an archtop in a jumbo shape adjusted to accommodate the size of the lower bout typical for an archtop?
On a related note, how about the depth? Any guidelines to be had there?

I know all these variables play together to influence the sound which is why I left my questions a little open-ended.

How about the wood for the top. Sitka seems like a safe choice, but what about others? Lutz, Englemann, Adirondack?

As you might imagine, I'm eager to experiment and even more eager for your thoughts.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:08 PM

I have no experience building one (yet) so have no wisdom to give but I just wanted to say I am glad you are taking the leap.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:46 PM

They have made archtops as wide as 19" and I've seen them as small as 15". The effects I'm not so sure.

Gibson's Jumbo flat top I believe came from their outline of the archtop guitars, so I don't see why it wouldn't be a problem.

As in the thread on top thicknesses, the same applies here. Stiffer woods can be carved lighter and braced lighter, less stiff woods may need to be left thicker with heavier bracing.

I would really check out Bob Benedetto's book, as it is the only one I know of dedicated to the construction of archtops. And his aren't too shabby.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

I built a 14"er a few years ago that worked very well.

Pictures here.

I currently favor 16", but most of mine are actually 17+".
Old 04-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Wow! What a beauty. I love the cutaway.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 AM

Quickstep192, Bob Benedetto wrote a great book on constructing an archtop guitar; I've more or less memorized my copy. He also has a video series to accompany the book. If you're looking into building an archtop, There's a huge amount of information in that book and in the videos; well worth exploring. Check the sponsors here, or do a google search.

Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair