The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM

The maple backed Kingman...no back bracing? Arched, perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 PM

Cool sounds really nice....

I also saw this in Sept. 13 AGM. I have never met a Fender acoustic that even came close to making me want to buy one- even those under $800 or so. This is a nice guitar, just got done watching the video review on YT on my $65 SkullCandys. I like the headstock much better than the FrankenFender acoustics with their traditional stocks. This one is nice, ditch the pickguard and it even becomes nicer. Now, I"m not a tone purist. I love tone as much as the next guy, and in some cases maybe more. This is aesthetically the nicest Fender acoustic I've "seen" yet. But, come on! What is up with that price tag? Sure, iconic name and made in America but it better have something really special for that amount of greenbacks.

There are already guitars in the market that blow me away more than this one at a lower price point. I'm in absolutely enamored with Breedlove. I own an import that I'm not sure I could ever part with and have my eyes on the new Oregons. Go to their FB site and look for the C20/Smye video done by some German retailer. If you can get past the foreign language that guitar sounds freakin' amazing IMO- and it is half the cost of the one this thread is focused on. American built too, and looks as nice as anything I've seen. I don't flip guitars and brand recognition and resale don't mean as much to me.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
While I understand your logic and agree, look at what they do with their electrics. The Fender name is all over Squire, etc. starting at what $79? Same Fender name and logo on guitars that cost a whole lot more.

Personally, I'd leave the US made acoustics under the Guild name and turn Ren loose. But no one asked me....
True, but even a super cheap electric in most cases can still be a somewhat reasonable guitar in my experience. A super cheap acoustic is most likely going to be complete garbage. I was looking in MF or Sweetwater last night & saw a $99 Fender acoustic. I'll bet it's an absolutely horrible guitar. A Squier Affinity Strat however, while not great by any means, is a perfectly playable guitar. I do agree with you for the most part though.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watasha View Post
True, but even a super cheap electric in most cases can still be a somewhat reasonable guitar in my experience. A super cheap acoustic is most likely going to be complete garbage. I was looking in MF or Sweetwater last night & saw a $99 Fender acoustic. I'll bet it's an absolutely horrible guitar. A Squier Affinity Strat however, while not great by any means, is a perfectly playable guitar. I do agree with you for the most part though.
A fairer comparison would be a $199 CD-60 (which includes a hardshell case). Guitar of the century? No. Required mods? Not many. Maybe a better saddle and strings...vs. the frequent pup swaps on Affinity Strats, better shielding, pots, switches, frequently observed sharp as a razor fret sprout and Affinity necks with laminated maple that separates from the neck (had a Tele like that which I returned, they have since gone all solid neck)and previous Affinities did have a narrower neck etc...

at that price point, Fender acoustics have become quite competitive with Fishman installs (different levels) and great necks and very good QC. Affinity Strats and Teles go for around $179...as an aside I think the Bullets are actually better values even stock...Classic Vibes of course go for about $200 more than Affinities

As for the $99 Fender...I'd basically agree with you....not "total garbage" but much less "there" than say a CD-60.

If you can find a $199 Fender parlor (CP-100)...do a side by side with your Dirty Thirties....again, not the parlor guitar of the century but they deservedly get decent reviews...

Last edited by Guest 429; 08-03-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Buzz View Post
A fairer comparison would be a $199 CD-60 (which includes a hardshell case). Guitar of the century? No. Required mods? Not many. Maybe a better saddle and strings...vs. the frequent pup swaps on Affinity Strats, better shielding, pots, switches, frequently observed sharp as a razor fret sprout and Affinity necks with laminated maple that separates from the neck (had a Tele like that which I returned, they have since gone all solid neck)and previous Affinities did have a narrower neck etc...

at that price point, Fender acoustics have become quite competitive with Fishman installs (different levels) and great necks and very good QC. Affinity Strats and Teles go for around $179...as an aside I think the Bullets are actually better values even stock...Classic Vibes of course go for about $200 more than Affinities

As for the $99 Fender...I'd basically agree with you....not "total garbage" but much less "there" than say a CD-60.

If you can find a $199 Fender parlor (CP-100)...do a side by side with your Dirty Thirties....again, not the parlor guitar of the century but they deservedly get decent reviews...
Funny you mention the CP-100 as I actually looked at it (& the Gretsch Jim Dandy) when I bought the RK. I didn't get to actually play one though. The thing that ultimately swayed me was the solid top on the RK. Why in the world Fender would want to put "Fender" on a $99 guitar is beyond me, that should be a Squier.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:07 AM

At least with a Squire, you can theoretically replace all the stock sub-par electronics with quality electronics and probably have a really good instrument. You can't replace an acoustics sub-par top, b/s, neck etc.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
If these are indeed being built by the good folks at Guild/New Hartford then I fully expect this to be (for all intents and purposes) a modern Guild with a Fender Headstock.
On the LMG III tour of Guild, they were working on some high end Fenders in part of the shop. They said that they were not just rebranded Guilds, but had different bracing and a different neck profile. The ones I saw I think were Kingman models, so the new dread may be different.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 AM

...ok so who has played one? Are these made at the Guild factory?

Half you guys would swear by Martins, and readily admit crappy 70s production models. Would I buy one? If its of good build quality, and sounds good. Yes, wouldn't hesitate.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
At least with a Squire, you can theoretically replace all the stock sub-par electronics with quality electronics and probably have a really good instrument. You can't replace an acoustics sub-par top, b/s, neck etc.
For a start, the necks and fretwork are quite good for the price point. Very good QC. Saddles get replaced on $700 plus guitars. Cutting nut slots better? A set up. For that price point, they're quite good. Even the tuners. Decent. Inside the guitars? Clean, tidy. Fishman electronics.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:16 PM

What a shame that just one year later they got out of making acoustics in the US.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:46 PM

I found a good youtube video of the shop. Looks like they really had a good setup there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc5IYSKmqmU
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 PM

SO.....

WHO HAS PLAYED ONE?

Beuller,,, Beuller?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Im going to reserve my opinions until i can play a Fender of this quality .
Every Fender Acoustic ive ever played up to this point was not very good .
Honestly the resale is a good point -unless their whole line is great , on the used market they wont move . their are alot of great guitars out their that
are hard to move because of limited player experience with them ( some from small luthiers no one has heard of , or maybe not everyone has heard of )
Believe me i own a sensational guitar that is not well known , that i traded another guitar for that did not even come close to this guitars quality and sound.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
SO.....

WHO HAS PLAYED ONE?

Beuller,,, Beuller?
Ha!! My question too

I have not seen these guitars anywhere
Old 09-21-2018, 08:28 PM

I like that they were making some of the 60's models with modern construction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion