The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 07:07 AM

I would't write off the Boxcar just yet. Be open to try another.
I, too played the Boxcar side by side with an exact other.
For me I bought the one with the action that better fit my style of playing.
Even other models of guitars sound different compared to exact others.

Good luck. I know you'll find the instrument that's best for you.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:47 PM

If you haven't checked out Mike Dowling and his El Trovador you should. Awesome guitar player and such a sweet sound on reso's. Of course its a national and you're back in the $3k range, but someday...
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

Last edited by Woolbury; 09-21-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
If you haven't checked out Mike Dowling and his El Toreador you should. Awesome guitar player and such a sweet sound on reso's. Of course its a national and you're back in the $3k range, but someday...
I'm glad you mentioned Mike. He is the exact reason I bought a reso for fingerpicking. He was one of my fingerstyle instructors at Kaufman's Acoustic Kamp so I got to hear a lot of his playing on a reso. Until then, I guess I didn't realize how beautiful they sound when fingerpicked.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Picking up a dud Gretsch Resonator is about a 20-25% proposition depending on the model IME. They are out there, but most of them are sturdy, stable and gig-worthy instruments (IMO). I have gigged w/my Boxcar for over 4 years.

No, they aren't a National. I agree that they are the benchmark. You can't buy a well seasoned cube steak and turn it into a Filet Mignon either.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Gretsch makes a (really) solid resonator that does not dip into a 401K.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM

Another possibility. I have to claim complete ignorance except I have seen them on Sweetwater's website.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-vintage-brown

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Gretsch makes a (really) solid resonator that does not dip into a 401K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Another possibility. (epiphone dobro hound dog deluxe round neck vintage brown)

OP: just be aware that some of these suggestions are spider-bridge "dobro"-style guitars, while some are biscuit-bridge resonators. They produce very distinct tones, and are often used in different types of music; the spider-bridge is more prevalent in bluegrass, while the biscuits are more widely used in blues. There are no hard and fast rules of course, but be sure you know what your preferences are before you buy.

My first resonator was made by Hohner, and sounded really nice after I replaced the cone. It's another brand that many don't think of. And some of the less-expensive ones, like Dean, Regal, Johnson, etc., can also be much improved by swapping out the cone. Continental, Quarterman, and of course National all make replacements that sound better than stock, and it's a fairly inexpensive way to improve tone and sustain.

Last edited by Guest 728; 09-21-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Another possibility. I have to claim complete ignorance except I have seen them on Sweetwater's website.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-vintage-brown
QC is super spotty on these. Toby had a thread about this a year or 2 ago.

From my experience, tone/volume is no better on an Epi vs Gretsch either.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-16-2023, 04:39 AM

Default Why?

I have owned just about every Asian resonator made in the last 35 years and I have owned several Nationals and Dobros (both vintage and more recent) . The Nationals and Dobros always sound better. But why? I have always wondered what the Asian market is missing and why a stellar resonator can't be produced in China or Korea or Japan. I once owned a Donmo . A small Australian maker. It sounded every bit as good as any wood body National I played but it was not well built and eventually imploded. Anyway, can anyone shed some light on how National and pre-Asian Dobros get it but the Asian market doesn't? Hint: It isn't just the cones.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:20 AM

Not too long ago I also was looking for a round neck resonator. I tried the more readily available budget options and was similarly unimpressed. I ordered a Gold Tone Paul Beard Mastertone a couple years ago and like it a lot.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:04 AM

For the record, not all metal-bodied resonators are shiny. National makes dull finished, painted bodies as well. They tend to be cheaper.

I find the sound of a wood bodied resonator to be a mixture of a regular guitar and an all metal one. Since I got my Franks, I almost never play the '32 National. The sounds are so different.

A while ago, I bought a Recording King wood-bodied resonator to give to a friend. But of course I played it for a week before he got it. Decent, no complaints, well worth the bucks.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm new to resonators and recently bought a Gold Tone Paul Beard Mastertone round neck. I like it. While the body (which looks great) is made in China, the cones are made by Paul Beard, whose cones have a good reputation. Seems like a good compromise - especially if one isn't yet sure about investing the $ in a National or the like.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimi View Post
I have owned just about every Asian resonator made in the last 35 years and I have owned several Nationals and Dobros (both vintage and more recent) . The Nationals and Dobros always sound better. But why? I have always wondered what the Asian market is missing and why a stellar resonator can't be produced in China or Korea or Japan. I once owned a Donmo . A small Australian maker. It sounded every bit as good as any wood body National I played but it was not well built and eventually imploded. Anyway, can anyone shed some light on how National and pre-Asian Dobros get it but the Asian market doesn't? Hint: It isn't just the cones.
One of the very few ways in which we reso-players in the UK are advantaged is the availability of Michael Messer brand guitars, which are well-constructed, well-finished, good playing & sounding instruments at a fraction of the cost of National Resophonic ( which, it might be pointed out, have no more connection to pre-war Nationals than do Messer's ) - they're not quite as inexpensive now, due to a recent economically-enforced price rise, but still run at about 25-30% of the cost of an NRP - I much prefer mine to the NRP wood-rocket I had a while back, so yes, Asian-made instruments can be of similar quality, like with Eastmans.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:08 AM

I think an important thing to think about is do you want the sweeter tone of a spider cone resonator or the bluesier brashy tone of biscuit. They sound quite different from eachother.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:43 AM

I bought a Gretsch Boxcar when they first came out, still have it. It's pretty sweet and smooth compared to a metal-body. It stays in tune pretty well. I use heavy strings (Pearse 16s) and play mostly slide on it.

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion